• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

On 12/19/2021 at 5:22 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 20/21

Silent-Partner-2.jpg

4 a.m.  The Silent Partner (1978).  Canadian caper picture with Elliott Gould, Susannah York and Christopher Plummer.

This one looked promising until I saw your screen cap. Oi. Well, it's timely, anyway. 🙂 On WatchTCM til December 31st.

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, December 22

1200x0.jpg

8 a.m.  Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945).  Edward G. Robinson and Margaret O’Brien.

I just adore this film. It could have easily been too saccharine-sweet, but never manages to get there. Great performances from the entire cast, too.

• Like 2

Tuesday, December 21

lion1.jpg

5:30 p.m. The Lion In Winter (1968, Anthony Harvey) England's Henry II and his estranged queen battle over the choice of an heir.

Forgot Tony Hopkins was in this Christmastime classic.  Saw it first with a Rockett show at Radio City Music Hall eons ago. Omicron shut down the show this year. Caught Lion a half hour in. Hopefully they'll stream it on WatchTCM for a bit.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

7:30 a.m.  Big Business (1929 short).  Laurel & Hardy as Christmas tree salesmen.  Replaced in Canada with the J. Carroll Naish short, Star In the Night (1945).

I love STAR IN THE NIGHT. I look forward to watching it every year. Great short!

Wednesday, December 29/30

MV5BYWQ5ZjY2ZTEtMDYzNi00ODEzLTkyNjAtOGNi

4:15 a.m.  A Matter of Time (1976).  I caught up with this one recently and it really is a bomb.  Vincente Minnelli disaster with his daughter Liza and Ingrid Bergman.  Charles Boyer is wasted.  Isabella Rossellini in her debut as a nun!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, December 29/30

MV5BYWQ5ZjY2ZTEtMDYzNi00ODEzLTkyNjAtOGNi

4:15 a.m.  A Matter of Time (1976).  I caught up with this one recently and it really is a bomb.  Vincente Minnelli disaster with his daughter Liza and Ingrid Bergman.  Charles Boyer is wasted.  Isabella Rossellini in her debut as a nun!

Yes,a  really bad one, one of the last films for Bergman ,last for Boyer and Minnelli  I think

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

"I survived 2021"

Friday, December 31

TheThinMan_1.jpg?format=1000w

8 p.m.  The Thin Man (1934).  What would New Year’s be on TCM without a Thin Man festival.

Yeah, but especially AFTER THE THIN MAN where Nick and Nora go to that nightclub that throws that "big confetti"!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, January 1

noon.  Fiddler on the Roof (1971).  Norman Jewison musical with Topol.  I would have liked to see this with Zero Mostel out of curiosity.

Broadway musicals are so much about the visual and acting, so my opinion may be different if I had seen Mostel's Tevya. I have the original Broadway recording with Mostel, and I think Topol did a more polished job with the songs. I had the opportunity to see him in a revival of FIDDLER in the 1990's (when he was actually the age of the character) and he was again marvelous. I believe he was also the only well known member of the cast.

• Thanks 2

On 1/1/2022 at 7:23 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 2

how-green-was-my-valley-1200-1200-675-67

8 p.m.  How Green Was My Valley (1941).  Wonderful John Ford film.

I always try to look in on this one as it was my Grandmother's favorite movie.  Born into and raised in a Pennsylvania coal mining family is likely why.  I first  watched it with her when spending a weekend at her house when I was very young.  She was very helpful in explaining some of the coal mining aspects of the film.  And that history too, is probably why I feel an inner comfort whenever I watch it. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1