Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, January 18

Cary Grant day.

image-w1280.jpg

6:15 a.m.  Destination Tokyo (1943).  Decent WWII submarine picture with Cary Grant and John Garfield.

One of Cary's most underrated films. Also features John Garfield (another of my favorites). 

Definitely will catch this one.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, January 19

MV5BMzU4ZTY4N2ItZDM3MS00YTc0LWJhNmItYzEz

8 p.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  The great filibuster movie.  This is ripe for a remake with 'green eggs and ham.'

The film that Jimmy probably should have won his Oscar for, but great film nonetheless. Also really love Claude Rains in this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 20/21

image-w1280.jpg

4:45 a.m.  Star 80 (1983).  Bob Fosse film about Dorothy Stratten.  I liked it.

Especially sad about what happened to Ms. Stratten. I don't recall how the critics felt about it, but I recall I thought it was a good film myself.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:54 AM, mr6666 said:

There was a DVD set put out a few years ago by Flicker Alley entitled "A Modern Musketeer" that had a bunch of Fairbanks' films where he had a modern dress role. It is worth picking up and watching if you can't find the films streaming. 

• Thanks 1

premiere  early SAT., 1-22                                          UNDERGROUND II...........

3:45
am (ET)
American Pop Profile Image

"No filmmaker has worked harder than Ralph Bakshi at turning animations and animation/live-action hybrids into an adult medium, motivated by his longtime war against what he saw as the Disneyization of theatrical cartoons. Some critics have applauded his engagement with subjects rarely tackled by animators, such as urban hardships in Heavy Traffic (1973) and challenges of Black life in Coonskin (1974). Others have seen his penchant for transgressive topics and four-letter words, introduced in his comix-inspired debut feature Fritz the Cat (1972), as attention-getting stunts.

American Pop is arguably Bakshi’s most thematically mature and visually sophisticated picture, tracing the rollercoaster fortunes of a musically inclined family in a narrative spanning 80 years, four generations and two continents..........

The imagery of American Pop is nonetheless vivid, inventive and varied, maintaining its distinctive look while dropping occasional nods to period-appropriate artists, from the all-American icon Norman Rockwell – one of Bakshi’s favorites, surprisingly enough – to Andy Warhol, Ralph Steadman and the psychedelic poster designers of the 1960s. It all culminates with an explosive mix of sharp-edged animation, solarized concert footage and op-art abstraction in the closing punk-rock sequence. Quite a show.

The film’s other great asset is its eclectic music track, which shifts and morphs as the story proceeds through successive eras.......

Bakshi may not have stopped the Disneyization of animation, but he created a body of unusual and idiosyncratic films, of which American Pop is one of the most boldly original, carefully crafted and deeply felt."

SEE:  https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/19812/american-pop#articles-reviews?articleId=021543

======================================

it's been a fav of Bakshi's animations...........looking forward to this

• Like 1

Today, Friday, January 21 is a lineup of suspense, some of which could be looped into the beloved "paranoid thriller" category.

Love "The Stranger" at 9:45 Eastern--   Edward G. Robinson is so dogged and subtle as a Nazi hunter in that charming New England town.  For Orson Welles' chilling speech at the civilized dinner party alone, well worth watching.  Loretta Young is really good in noir,  she lets you see the mounting hysteria and neuroses....

And following--   "Shadow of a Woman,  "Suspicion",  "Julie" (love Doris Day and unhinged Louis Jourdan in this),  "Gaslight",   "Undercurrent".

Nice shivery marathon with some great performances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, especially looking forward to THE STRANGER. Robinson and Welles are both terrific. Young is pretty convincing as well.

GASLIGHT benefits from great performances from Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. I'll probably watch SUSPICION too, though it's far from being my favorite Hitchcock film.

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"GASLIGHT benefits from great performances from Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. "

true, but the Anton Walbrook version was shown......which is also very good    :)

Yes, I've seen that. I agree, it's equally as compelling as the Bergman/Boyer film.

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 23

1949-Letter-to-Three-Wives-A-01.jpg

8 p.m.  A Letter to Three Wives (1948).  I haven’t seen this one in years.  I recall thinking it was pretty good.  By Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

It's a fun soap opera with an incredible cast.  

My comments on it here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-was-the-last-movie-you-watched.20830/page-1400#post-2721142

• Like 1

I'm tucking this silly question in here as it didn't seem worth its own thread. 

I went to the TCM homepage this morning and saw this picture:

BSC_Casablanca_HPT.png.thumb.jpeg.3b2f3a17a4448ebe98192cd389e57f20.jpeg

Before my question, I'll note, Ingrid Bergman is a beautiful woman, period, full stop.

That said, does it look like they photoshopped her face in the above pic to make it look thinner and more angular?

That's it; that's my question.