Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

Tuesday, February 22

sddefault.jpg

10:30 a.m.  Desi Arnaz and His Orchestra (1946).  Here you go Speedracer.  Babaloo!  Replaced in Canada with Musical Movieland (1944).  You can find Desi on YouTube.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:29 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 22

sddefault.jpg

10:30 a.m.  Desi Arnaz and His Orchestra (1946).  Here you go Speedracer.  Babaloo!  Replaced in Canada with Musical Movieland (1944).  You can find Desi on YouTube.

Yay. Babalu indeed! I recorded this short.  I also recorded the other ones of his films that I hadn't seen or hadn't seen for a long time. And I see my fave movie, The Long Long Trailer, is scheduled again! I wish this movie would get a blu ray release. After seeing a couple of Desi's MGM films, Father Takes a Wife, and Holiday in Havana, thank goodness Desi found television! These films were not showing off his talents properly.  What they do demonstrate however, are Desi's good looks and charisma.  I think he fares better in Holiday in Havana because he's allowed to perform more and seems more assured in himself than he does in Father Takes a Wife

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday, February 25

MV5BNDY4ODM0MTA3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA3

8 p.m.  Hoosiers (1986).  I remember the cameras on Dennis Hopper when they announced his Supporting Actor Oscar nomination.  “Hoosiers?” was his puzzled response.  He was expecting Blue Velvet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, February 25

8 p.m.  Hoosiers (1986).  I remember the cameras on Dennis Hopper when they announced his Supporting Actor Oscar nomination.  “Hoosiers?” was his puzzled response.  He was expecting Blue Velvet.

I remember being in a Blockbusters--remember them?--when a woman picked up a video of Hoosiers and said to her companion, "Here's Hoozers! Have you seen Hoozers?" So to me this film will always be Hoozers.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, February 25

Absolutely love this movie.  The end makes me cry every single time (and I have seen this movie dozens of times.)  Definitely in my Top 10 Films.  If you haven't seen it, don't miss it.

Sunday, February 27

tumblr_inline_psqixlwW6d1tv1uif_1280.jpg

6 p.m.  Dear Heart (1964).  Glenn Ford and Geraldine Page.  I haven’t seen this one yet and Page is usually vey good.

41002148_10156694792661663_4772116464410

8 p.m.  Malcolm X (1992).  Spike Lee’s best film IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 27

6 p.m.  Dear Heart (1964).  Glenn Ford and Geraldine Page.  I haven’t seen this one yet and Page is usually vey good.

I love this film. The entire cast is just a joy to watch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I love this film. The entire cast is just a joy to watch.

Funny, I recently  posted about this film in the "I Just Watched" thread. While it is uneven IMO, like you, I enjoyed it. My comments here: 

• Like 2

Tuesday, March 1

The-Yearling-Still-5.jpeg

2 p.m.  The Yearling (1946).  TCM showed one of those MGM period shorts of coming soon films which announced that Spencer Tracy was to play the lead in this film.  I’m glad that it went to Peck as he is outstanding in this.

• Like 6

Monday, Feb. 28, 4:00 AM: The Housemaid (1960).

Korean film that's part noir, part melodrama reminiscent of characters such as Joan Crawford in Queen Bee.  The movie starts off promisingly and goes bonkers in the second half, but if you like Hollywood potboilers of the era, you'll probably love the second half.  Just don't expect any plausible character motivations.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
last nite, SUN., 3-20                     (hadn't seen THIS in awhile.......)   :)
3:00
am (ET)
A Fish Called Wanda Profile Image

================================================

12:00
am (ET)                                                                                           (DD-L js excellent in this!)  :)
There Will Be Blood Profile Image

".............There Will Be Blood won Academy Awards for Daniel Day-Lewis (his second Oscar for Best Actor) and cinematographer Robert Elswit and six additional nominations, including nods for Anderson for his screenplay and direction and for Best Picture (it went to No Country for Old Men).........

• Like 1

What has happened to this topic? First posting in 3 weeks, and consistent-poster @Bogie56 hasn't been on here since Feb. 28?

Any followers know of a reason? Is a break like this a common occurrence, or cause for concern?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wbogacz said:

What has happened to this topic? First posting in 3 weeks, and consistent-poster @Bogie56 hasn't been on here since Feb. 28?

Any followers know of a reason? Is a break like this a common occurrence, or cause for concern?

I also really miss @Bogie56's posts. I don't know enough classic movies to recommend anything myself, but regularly look here for inspiration on what to watch. I hope all is well. 

• Thanks 1

a fav  of mine, they don't often air.............

- even IF no one but me seemed to notice how they totally 'corrected' the cyan tint from the last 10 min. from what was shown in theaters

-_-

• Like 1

don't remember seeing this before..........  :unsure:

MON., 3-28

2:30
am (ET)
All About My Mother Profile Image

"Manuela, a nurse and single mother in her late thirties, must come to terms with the tragic loss of her only son, Esteban, when he is struck by a car. She never told Esteban who he was, "your father died long before you were born" was all she ever told him. In memory of her son -- who's his father's namesake -- Manuela leaves Madrid and goes to Barcelona in search of Esteban's father. However, the man that she left behind eighteen years earlier when she was pregnant is now a transvestite named Lola. The search for a man with that name cannot be simple. And indeed it isn't.......

Pedro Almodóvar
  • Like 2

a pleasant viewing Oscar alternative tonight.......

8:00
pm  (ET)
The Artist Profile Image

"....Though Hazanavicius is clearly paying his respects to the Silver Age of Hollywood, The Artist does not duplicate the conventions and styles of silent cinema. The pace of the editing is faster, the cinematography crisper, and the camera movement more modern. And, while lead actors Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo echo the expressive, external performing style of silent movies, they avoid the broad arm gestures, widened eyes, and repetitive motions that were typical of the era. The Artist is not a nostalgic exercise in resurrecting a past cinematic era; nor does it promote silent films as superior, because by the end, it embraces the new sound technology as an inevitable evolution.

Instead, The Artist pays homage to cinema by referencing its history and by playfully parroting the conventions, actors, tropes, genres, plots, and techniques of silent film. The characters are composites of Silver Age stars........

:)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

a pleasant viewing Oscar alternative tonight.......

8:00
pm  (ET)
The Artist Profile Image

"....Though Hazanavicius is clearly paying his respects to the Silver Age of Hollywood, The Artist does not duplicate the conventions and styles of silent cinema. The pace of the editing is faster, the cinematography crisper, and the camera movement more modern. And, while lead actors Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo echo the expressive, external performing style of silent movies, they avoid the broad arm gestures, widened eyes, and repetitive motions that were typical of the era. The Artist is not a nostalgic exercise in resurrecting a past cinematic era; nor does it promote silent films as superior, because by the end, it embraces the new sound technology as an inevitable evolution.

Instead, The Artist pays homage to cinema by referencing its history and by playfully parroting the conventions, actors, tropes, genres, plots, and techniques of silent film. The characters are composites of Silver Age stars........

:)

• Like 1

Premiere late tonight...........       WHY SUCH A DUMB TIMESLOT ???   :huh:

3:30
am  (ET)
War and Peace Profile Image

".........Upon its release, it became a success with audiences, selling approximately 135 million tickets in the USSR. War and Peace also won the Grand Prix in the Moscow International Film Festival, the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film and the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
Since its release, the film is often considered to be the grandest epic film ever made, with many asserting its monumental production as unrepeatable and unique in film history..........

In the United States, it won the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film in the 26th Golden Globe Awards.[91] The picture was the Soviet entry to the 41st Academy Awards, held on 14 April 1969. It received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and was nominated for the Best Art Direction. ...........

Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reports that 100% of 19 reviews were positive, with an average rating of 8.97/10..........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Premiere late tonight...........       WHY SUCH A DUMB TIMESLOT ???   :huh:

Have my DVR set to record this supposedly sensational epic. Very, very excited! Some sources I've read say the film's runtime is actually closer to 7 hours, 20 minutes. I've also seen its release date listed as 1965, 1966, and 1967, so I wonder where the discrepancies originate. Wikipedia sites it as a "film series" from 1966-67.

• Thanks 1