• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

Friday, April 1/2

As Jan Rubes once said, "It brought me back from the dead."

WAg9UveTHNLkd8grC5K7jP.jpg

2:15 a.m.   Day of the Dead  (1985).   Romero.   This is no Mexican holiday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, April 1/2

As Jan Rubes once said, "It brought me back from the dead."

WAg9UveTHNLkd8grC5K7jP.jpg

2:15 a.m.   Day of the Dead  (1985).   Romero.   This is no Mexican holiday.

Nice to have you back. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Nice to have you back. 🙂

Thank you.  There was no access to the TCM Message Boards in the Bahamas.  But I can attest that it is true when they say that it is better there.

I'm off to London mid-month and I suspect that the blocking may be the same story there too.  We will find out.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, April 2

Gary-Cooper-Jean-Arthur-Mr-Deeds-Goes.jp

noon.   Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936).  Gary Cooper & Jean Arthur in splendid Capricorn.

Great picture. Lately, I've taken more of a shine to Gary Cooper, who I merely thought was okay, but now am finding myself appreciating more of his work as of late.

Sunday, April 10/11

tumblr_n7ulq3dnvY1re1poeo1_500.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Under the Roofs of Paris (1930).  Winner of the National Board of Review’s Best Foreign Language Film Award.  Replaced in Canada with Camille (1937).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WED., 4-13

10:15
am (ET)
Callaway Went Thataway Profile Image

"........Although Singin' in the Rain (1952) and Sunset Boulevard (1950) remain the most famous examples, there were other worthy self-parodies throughout the decade. The studios' anxiety brought on by the advent of television created an even stranger situation as cinema and cathode fought it out on the nation's screens both large and small. Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (1957) was famously turned into an attack on television during its transition from stage to screen, and a gentler but similar tack is taken by Callaway Went Thataway (1951). Though Hollywood is shown to be a corruptive influence for a weak personality, TV here is, by implication, something even more dangerous: all the gloss and ego of the big screen without the hard work and substance. .........
.....Though the positive critical reception of Callaway Went Thataway did not translate to big money from the public, the film earned enough goodwill to become something of a cult favorite and, of course, turned into a television staple. Much of the film's praise centered on the pairing of charismatic reliables MacMurray and McGuire; both went on to become beloved parental figures in a string of popular Walt Disney films (The Shaggy Dog (1959), Swiss Family Robinson (1960), The Absent-Minded Professor (1961)).....

:)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mr6666 said:

WED., 4-13

10:15
am (ET)
Callaway Went Thataway Profile Image

"........Although Singin' in the Rain (1952) and Sunset Boulevard (1950) remain the most famous examples, there were other worthy self-parodies throughout the decade. The studios' anxiety brought on by the advent of television created an even stranger situation as cinema and cathode fought it out on the nation's screens both large and small. Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (1957) was famously turned into an attack on television during its transition from stage to screen, and a gentler but similar tack is taken by Callaway Went Thataway (1951). Though Hollywood is shown to be a corruptive influence for a weak personality, TV here is, by implication, something even more dangerous: all the gloss and ego of the big screen without the hard work and substance. .........
.....Though the positive critical reception of Callaway Went Thataway did not translate to big money from the public, the film earned enough goodwill to become something of a cult favorite and, of course, turned into a television staple. Much of the film's praise centered on the pairing of charismatic reliables MacMurray and McGuire; both went on to become beloved parental figures in a string of popular Walt Disney films (The Shaggy Dog (1959), Swiss Family Robinson (1960), The Absent-Minded Professor (1961)).....

:)

This is a great little comedy.  Forget all the back story and just enjoy a comedy well done.

• Thanks 1

Beginning at 10:30 AM ET on April 14, you will find a lot of good crime movies.  Kansas City Confidential has a very good cast and pretty good story.

• Thanks 1