Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

Friday, June 10/11

620ffe92a9c59.image.png

2:45 a.m. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).  All star cast in this powerful Stanley Kramer film. 

Of interest to some (if you can find it!) may be the stellar new documentary and my pick for the best film of 2021, Getting Away With Murder(s) by David Wilkinson.  It features one of the prosecutors from this trial.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 10/11

620ffe92a9c59.image.png

2:45 a.m. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).  All star cast in this powerful Stanley Kramer film. 

Of interest to some (if you can find it!) may be the stellar new documentary and my pick for the best film of 2021, Getting Away With Murder(s) by David Wilkinson.  It features one of the prosecutors from this trial.  

Since you pick it as best film of 2021, then you must have seen it. So, where did you see it? 

14 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Since you pick it as best film of 2021, then you must have seen it. So, where did you see it? 

BAFTA.  But I have not been able to find it on disc.  It may be on streaming - somewhere ??

Not surprisingly, it wasn't even nominated for Best Documentary.  My take is that most people don't wish to watch films about the holocaust.  But this one was extraordinary and came at it from a different and new angle as its title suggests.

27 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

BAFTA.  But I have not been able to find it on disc.  It may be on streaming - somewhere ??

Not surprisingly, it wasn't even nominated for Best Documentary.  My take is that most people don't wish to watch films about the holocaust.  But this one was extraordinary and came at it from a different and new angle as its title suggests.

I started looking when I saw your recommendation and I'm coming up empty too. If I find a source I'll post it. 

19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Getting Away With Murder(s) review – powerful call for Holocaust justice

David Nicholas Wilkinson’s epic investigation into the Nazis who escaped a postwar reckoning shows the difficulty of prosecuting this technocratic atrocity
  • Thanks 2

SAT., 6-11                                                  they don't often air this one & w/some great performances.......

• Like 1

Worth watching it for

and then you can turn it off.

At least, unlike Old Acquaintance, the scene worth watching doesn't come at the very end.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

Worth watching it for

and then you can turn it off.

At least, unlike Old Acquaintance, the scene worth watching doesn't come at the very end.

Most of Now Voyager is worth watching;  the only part that drags are the scenes where the young girl is the center of attention. 

The last scene with that moon\stars line is the best part but one has to have a heart to see that!

• Like 1

Wednesday, June 15

splendorinthegrass1961.16108.jpg

8 p.m.  Splendor In the Grass (1961).  I watched this again recently and was still impressed.  A very sad tale about life’s choices, loss and regret.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Saturday, June 18

MV5BMjEzNTA0MzYzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDc0

10 p.m.  Annie Hall (1977).  La-di-dah

Sunday, June 19/20

The-General.jpg

12:30 a.m.  The General (1927).  Keaton’s masterpiece.

Monday, June 20/21

image-w856.jpg?1579852802

3:30 a.m.  Mala Noche (1986).  By Gus Van Sant.

• Like 2

Tues., June 21,8:15 AM.  The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman(1958).  Followed by Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) Followed by a short on The Future as viewed in 1955.  Followed by Born Reckless (1959) with Mamie Van Doren as a "saloon singer."

Bornreckless.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 4:35 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, June 15

splendorinthegrass1961.16108.jpg

8 p.m.  Splendor In the Grass (1961).  I watched this again recently and was still impressed.  A very sad tale about life’s choices, loss and regret.

This is the only movie I can think of that always leaves me crying.  I never know if I'm crying most for Deanie, Bud or Angelina.  Zohra Lambert (Angelina) should be on the "great small performances" thread for her part in that.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 5:19 AM, AndreaDoria said:

This is the only movie I can think of that always leaves me crying.  I never know if I'm crying most for Deanie, Bud or Angelina.  Zohra Lambert (Angelina) should be on the "great small performances" thread for her part in that.

1 hour ago, johnpressman said:

I'm of the opinion that "Splendor In The Grass" is more about mental illness than life's choices. So sad.

The title refers to life's choices and regret.  Wood's mental illness is a direct result of those things.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

She is listed! :D 

• Thanks 1