Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

I must be the only person who doesn't think the ending of SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS is sad. I think both Bud and Deanie wound up with good partners, perhaps even partners better suited to them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

conflict1945.95.jpg

12:30 p.m.  Conflict (1945).  With Humphrey Bogart and Alexis Smith.

That's Alexis Smith on the left, isn't it?  She really let herself go. 

• Haha 3

Saturday, June 25/26

downthreedarkstreets1954.17100.jpg

midnight.  Down Three Dark Streets (1954).  FBI story with Broderick Crawford.

potogold1941_1024x767_05312013100042.jpg

5 a.m.  Pot O’ Gold (1941).  With James Stewart and Paulette Goddard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, June 26/27

image-w1280.jpg?1545847227

2 a.m.  Mur Murs (1981).  Agnes Varda documentary about the murals of Los Angeles.

MV5BMzVmZmViZDMtNzhjNC00N2IyLWFlYzUtNWU1

3:30 a.m.  Documenteur (1981).  Agnes Varda drama shot in Los Angeles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, June 27

nancydrewdetective1938.84566.jpg

6 a.m.  Nancy Drew, Detective (1938).  Followed by …

7:15 a.m.  Nancy Drew, Reporter (1939).

8:30 a.m.  Nancy Drew, Trouble Shooter (1939).

9:45 a.m.  Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase (1939).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, June 27

nancydrewdetective1938.84566.jpg

6 a.m.  Nancy Drew, Detective (1938).  Followed by …

7:15 a.m.  Nancy Drew, Reporter (1939).

8:30 a.m.  Nancy Drew, Trouble Shooter (1939).

9:45 a.m.  Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase (1939).

There is a DVD set of these four movies which is quite reasonably priced.  We watch them a lot.  Wish she had made more Nancy Drews.

Tuesday, June 28

deathinvenice_lantarenvenster.jpg

6:15 a.m.  Death In Venice (1971).  An odd time to pick for this Visconti picture unless of course, you ar eon the West Coast.

It would make a good double bill with this 2021 documentary ...

MV5BOTIzYTdiZTYtMjExMy00MTM5LTlmMTQtMDYx

I had no idea that he was the inspiration for Japanese Anime characters.

• Like 1

Wednesday, June 29

6a01053653b3c7970b026be41b704f200d-800wi

6:15 p.m.  Dr. Strangelove (1964).  “Well I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip up sir.”

Friday, July 1

Flag-Canada.jpg

Still no Canada Day TCM?  What about featuring some of these people on July 1:

440px-Norman_Jewison_2019.jpgNell_Shipman_Photoplay_Nov_1918.png440px-Hume_Cronyn_studio_publicity_portr440px-Yvonne_de_Carlo_in_1964.jpg

Jack Warner, Mack Sennett, Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Nell Shipman, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Greene, Lois Maxwell, John Ireland, William Shatner,  James Doohan, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, John Colicos, Lou Jacobi, Michael Ironside, Neve Campbell, Michael Cera, Rachel McAdams, Donald Brittain, Guy Maddin, Deepa Mehta, Matheson Lang, Richard Donat, Claude Jutra, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Gordon Pinsent, Victor Jory, Ted Kotcheff, Laura Linney, Eugene Levy, Chief Dan George, Jay Silverheels, Tommy Chong, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, John Vernon, Sarah Polley, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Xavier Dolan, Francis Mankiewicz, Jean-Marc Vallee, Kate Reid, Norman McLaren, Wallace MacDonald, Budge Crawley, Joanna Shimkus, Alexandra Stewart, Carole Laure, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Douglass Dumbrille, Maude Eburne, Arthur Hiller, Brendan Fraser, Brent Carver, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Howard Shore, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Barry Pepper, Michael Wincott, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Andrea Martin, Jayne Eastwood, Donald Shebib, Cec Linder, Len Cariou, Mia Kirshner, Molly Parker, Matthew Perry, Craig Russell, Phillip Borsos, Kim Cattrall, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hayden Christiansen, Nicholas Campbell, Lloyd Bochner, Hart Bochner, Robbie Robertson, Stephen McHattie, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Rody Piper, Dorothy Stratten, Kate Nelligan, Raymond Burr. and Louis B. Mayer (landed)

MV5BMzA4NGZkY2YtZThiZi00YTlkLWJjMmEtNTUz

12:30 a.m.  Irma La Douce (1963).   This may be the closest we get to a Canada day salute by TCM with this Billy Wilder film co-starring Toronto born, Lou Jacobi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More Canadians (inc. some naturalized Canadians): 

DAN AYKROYD, BARRY MORSE, MARGOT KIDDER, ARTHUR HILL, LAWRENCE DANE, KAY HAWTREY (or HAWTRY), BRUCE GRAY, DON FRANCKS, ALBERTA WATSON, DANIEL PILON, DONALD PILON, SARA BOTSFORD, LENORE ZANN, JAMES B. DOUGLAS (nat.), PAUL KELMAN, ALF HUMPHREYS, KEITH KNIGHT, MAURY CHAYKIN (dual citizen/U.S. and Canada), AUGUST SCHELLENBERG, JACQUES GODIN, JEAN-LOUIS ROUX, DANIELLE OUIMET, LOUISE MARLEAU, ROBIN GAMMELL, PATRICIA COLLINS, CELINE LOMEZ, DOUG McGRATH, PAUL BRADLEY, HELEN HUGHES (nat.), HARVEY ATKIN, HELENE UDY, CLAUDIA UDY, CARL MAROTTE, MICHAEL ZELNIKER, TOM KOVACS, JEAN BEAUDIN (Director), HARVEY HART (Director), WILLIAM FRUET (Director), PAUL ALMOND (Director), PETER CARTER (Director), LES CARLSON, PETER AYKROYD. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 1:03 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, June 28

deathinvenice_lantarenvenster.jpg

6:15 a.m.  Death In Venice (1971).  An odd time to pick for this Visconti picture unless of course, you ar eon the West Coast.

It would make a good double bill with this 2021 documentary ...

MV5BOTIzYTdiZTYtMjExMy00MTM5LTlmMTQtMDYx

I had no idea that he was the inspiration for Japanese Anime characters.

Bogie, as I was casually scrolling down, I thought it was Jodie Foster! Jodie looks like the "Most Beautiful Boy" as well.

Saturday, July 2

image-w1280.jpg

10:07 a.m.  Bomba, the Jungle Boy (1949).  Kicking off the Bomba series with Johnny Sheffield.

8c99b738b5e9ae7df4288dfea65be961255cb40c

10 p.m.  Belle de Jour (1967).  Terrific Luis Bunuel film with Catherine Deneuve.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, King Rat said:

Bogie, as I was casually scrolling down, I thought it was Jodie Foster! Jodie looks like the "Most Beautiful Boy" as well.

I remember reading that the boy in Death for Venice served as the basis for most of the characters in the graphic shotacon genre of anime during the 70s and 80s.

• Thanks 1

Sunday, July 3

underthevolcano.jpeg

10:15 p.m.  Under the Volcano (1984).  John Huston adaptation of the Malcolm Lowry novel with Albert Finney.  IMO, the best performance of the year.

The Strange One is on Noir Alley at Midnight tonight (July 2) and again at 10:00 on Sunday.  Interesting movie if you have never seen it.  For more, see Noir Alley thread.

Short films do not appear to be on the schedule but Mare Nostrum has a twenty five minute interval after which will most likely be the Flag (1927) with Francis X. Bushman.  TCM shows that short every July 4th. It is a decent early two strip technicolor film.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:57 PM, Sukhov said:

Short films do not appear to be on the schedule but Mare Nostrum has a twenty five minute interval after which will most likely be the Flag (1927) with Francis X. Bushman.  TCM shows that short every July 4th. It is a decent early two strip technicolor film.

The showing of Mare Nostrum (1926) late Sunday was very unusual - the film lasted for the entire 135-minute window that was allocated.  When I watched this film on TCM several years ago it was running at around 102 minutes, but it appears the effective frame rate has now been changed to slow everything down about 25%.  There was also no longer any score to go along with the film Sunday night.  I can only surmise that a new score would be required for the new film duration and so far none has been produced.  The movement of people within the film is now much less choppy and more natural with the new frame rate, but I must say that I greatly prefer to watch the film with an accompaniment.  Watching a film of this length in complete silence takes some getting used to.

If only TCM would give us some indication as to what is going on.  In her introduction, Jacqueline Stewart made no mention of the changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2