Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The showing of Mare Nostrum (1926) late Sunday was very unusual - the film lasted for the entire 135-minute window that was allocated.  When I watched this film on TCM several years ago it was running at around 102 minutes, but it appears the effective frame rate has now been changed to slow everything down about 25%.  There was also no longer any score to go along with the film Sunday night.  I can only surmise that a new score would be required for the new film duration and so far none has been produced.  The movement of people within the film is now much less choppy and more natural with the new frame rate, but I must say that I greatly prefer to watch the film with an accompaniment.  Watching a film of this length in complete silence takes some getting used to.

If only TCM would give us some indication as to what is going on.  In her introduction, Jacqueline Stewart made no mention of the changes.

It's the first time in all the years I have been watching TCM that a silent film had no score. At first I thought something had happened to the sound on my TV!

I agree, the Professor should have mentioned the lack of a score, and the frame rate changes. It's hard to watch a silent with no music. That's why they had pianos/organs in the old movie houses!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The showing of Mare Nostrum (1926) late Sunday was very unusual - the film lasted for the entire 135-minute window that was allocated.  When I watched this film on TCM several years ago it was running at around 102 minutes, but it appears the effective frame rate has now been changed to slow everything down about 25%.  There was also no longer any score to go along with the film Sunday night.  I can only surmise that a new score would be required for the new film duration and so far none has been produced.  The movement of people within the film is now much less choppy and more natural with the new frame rate, but I must say that I greatly prefer to watch the film with an accompaniment.  Watching a film of this length in complete silence takes some getting used to.

If only TCM would give us some indication as to what is going on.  In her introduction, Jacqueline Stewart made no mention of the changes.

Yeah, I recorded it and was disappointed that the Flag was not shown after it. I always looked forward to that one on TCM every year in the early morning.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Suzangeo said:

It's the first time in all the years I have been watching TCM that a silent film had no score. At first I thought something had happened to the sound on my TV!

I agree, the Professor should have mentioned the lack of a score, and the frame rate changes. It's hard to watch a silent with no music. That's why they had pianos/organs in the old movie houses!

Yes and I'am not a restorer or an archivist..it was frustrating. Mrs Stewart should have mentioned this.It was not prepared and made her look bad,or she did not do proper research I do not know what happened ...any way I think it would be refreshing to have rotating hosts for Silent Sundays ,scholars like Jeanine Basinger ,Mollie Haskell or even Kevin Brownlow are Silent films experts  they would bring their own info as well.I think Mrs Stewart is more a scholar on Black Afro American films & silent films studies  and a host with a wider perspective would be welcolme.This is my opinion.

• Like 1

Friday, July 8

Good double bill of remakes.

1*nQl2mSH30TcovIouCBcXWg.jpeg

9:45 p.m.  The Thing (1982).  By John Carpenter.

MV5BMjc0YmI2ZjQtMTE3Ni00Y2YwLWEyYWEtZDYz

11:45 p.m.  Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978).  By Philip Kaufman.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 10:52 PM, nakano said:

Yes and I'am not a restorer or an archivist..it was frustrating. Mrs Stewart should have mentioned this.It was not prepared and made her look bad,or she did not do proper research I do not know what happened ...any way I think it would be refreshing to have rotating hosts for Silent Sundays ,scholars like Jeanine Basinger ,Mollie Haskell or even Kevin Brownlow are Silent films experts  they would bring their own info as well.I think Mrs Stewart is more a scholar on Black Afro American films & silent films studies  and a host with a wider perspective would be welcolme.This is my opinion.

Since you used  "Mrs" I wondered if Stewart was married or not.     I searched and it says a  Jacqueline Stewart was married to a Count, but that was back in 1931!  

I did find something about TCM's Stewart and it says that she leads a private life and it is unknown if she is married or not.

Very odd indeed.

Saturday, July 9

othello_02.jpg

3:30 p.m.  Othello (1952).  Great film by Orson Welles but which version will TCM by showing?  There have been several restorations of this with varying quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, July 10

440px-Only_Angels_Have_Wings_(1939_poste

8 p.m.  Only Angels Have Wings (1939).  Quite heavy handed Howard Hawks film if you boil it down but somehow it all works.

• Like 2

Elephant Walk (1954) with Elizabeth Taylor hasn't been on TCM for ten years.  It's on  July 12 at 11PM EST.  I remember it being  somewhat hokey, but Paramount makes all of their classics minus the tent poles so hard to access that I do plan to watch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 14

MV5BYTg0YmQ4NDgtOTI5Ni00YzNhLTk1MzQtZDc0

12:30 p.m.  Atlas (1961).  Peplum by Roger Corman.

This one isn't half bad. Worth seeing for Frank Wolff as Proximates, who steals the show and has the best lines. He slyly refers to one character’s possible bisexuality. In another scene, a soldier appears and says “did you want me?” “No!” Wolff screams sarcastically. “I wanted your Great Aunt Helen from Lesbos!”

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Elephant Walk (1954) with Elizabeth Taylor hasn't been on TCM for ten years.  It's on  July 12 at 11PM EST.  I remember it being  somewhat hokey, but Paramount makes all of their classics minus the tent poles so hard to access that I do plan to watch. 

I watched most of it on the 12th (being on the west coast it wasn't on too late).   Yea,  somewhat hokey is a good way to describe it. 

Liz looks here best in this film with some of the nicest gowns I have ever seen her wear in a film.

Elephant Walk vs. The Naked Jungle: Who'd Win in a Bar Fight? | Prowler  Needs a Jump

• Thanks 1

Saturday, July 16/17

3ZwAaJhtqaocroH8pCCF7cIosygeOQ_large.jpg

4 a.m.  The Rules of the Game (1939).  I was surprisingly underwhelmed by this Jean Renoir film when I saw it for the first time about 40 years ago.  I think it’s time for another go.

• Like 2

Tuesday, July 19

mysteriousisland1929_413848_1024x767_030

7:45 a.m.  The Mysterious Island (1929).  Early Jules Verne adaptation with Lionel Barrymore.  I remember when Famous Monsters printed stills from this “rare” unavailable film.

TrailerPic.jpg

3:30 a.m. Three Hours to Kill (1954).  With Dana Andrews.

• Like 3

Wednesday, July 20

I haven’t seen either of these Dana Andrews films.

MV5BYjcwMzAxZjktYTE0MS00YWI2LTkxODYtMjAz

10:30 a.m.  Comanche (1955).  And…

Screen+Shot+2021-06-05+at+12.30.03+AM.jp

12:15 p.m.  Spring Reunion (1956).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thursday, July 21

01-Thomas-Crown.jpg

8 a.m.  The Thomas Crown Affair (1968).  They could have played this and the other Norman Jewison films on Canada Day.

• Like 1