Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

Friday, July 22

7862.jpg

6:15 a.m.  Sh! The Octopus (1937).  Hugh Herbert battles a giant octopus?  My word.  Where has this film been all my life?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Monday, July 25

MV5BMzc2YzE2MTQtYTM1NC00ZWNjLTkyZjMtNWEy

6:30 a.m.  Wild Oranges (1924).  King Vidor silent.  Probably the best time to watch a silent on television - when you are wide awake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, July 27  better late than too late 

HUNGER (2008) 9H45 PM TONIGHT.A real life story about the  Irish prisonnerBobby Sands.With Michael Fassbender,an amazing actor,he always gives a great performance,My favorite actor of the last 20 years,I do not care about the superheroes films he did but he chooses his films carefully .

• Like 3

Friday, July 29

tumblr_peaebnOzWe1x6m6njo1_1280.jpg

11:15 p.m.  A Clockwork Orange (1971).  There is a really interesting Malcolm McDowell commentary of this film on youtube.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:01 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 28

MV5BZGU4NzNmYTQtMzNlNy00MmI5LTgwMDAtOTZi

8:30 a.m.  Dangerous Mission (1954).  With Victor Mature.  Though this one is not that great.

kind of a FUN early Irwin Allen 'disaster flick'........complete w/avalanches, wildfires AND a sleezy Vincent Price

WOO-HOO!  ;)

late tonight, 7-28/9

".......... The Lost Continent (1968) represented something completely different for Hammer Film Productions. Though the British horror house had dipped a toe into lost world waters with its 1965 take on the H. Rider Haggard classic She and 1967's Slave Girls (US: Prehistoric Women, 1967), The Lost Continent was a quantum leap to left field for a company whose stock-in-trade had been to that point stately Gothic shockers in Victorian dress. Written and directed by Michael Carreras (son of company president James Carreras), The Lost World throttles up the sum of all absurdities as a Ship of Fools (1965)-style steamer sails into a fetid Sargasso choked with derelict vessels and strangling seaweed, a strange new world inhabited by crustacean behemoths, grabby tentacled sea beasts, and a legion of inbred conquistadors led by a capricious boy king........

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 5:01 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 22

7862.jpg

6:15 a.m.  Sh! The Octopus (1937).  Hugh Herbert battles a giant octopus?  My word.  Where has this film been all my life?

Sorry I missed this! It used to be on local TV in the old days. 

Wait -- It's On Demand!

Saturday, July 30

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnY-rLyGldPPP6-_Cq7D3

4 p.m.  The Time Machine (1960).  Iconic sci-fi by George Pal.  When I was in the Bahamas this winter and dragging a lounge chair through the sand its tracks brought this film to mind.

• Like 2

If you're watching Barry Lyndon tonight--either because 1) you haven't seen it or 2) your sleeping pills aren't working or 3) because you actually like it--notice that this is about the only movie where the supporting actors get more close-ups than the star. I'm guessing that's because Stanley Kubrick thought they were better actors than Ryan O'Neal. Kubrick minimizes O'Neal's importance in the scenes, and some of us understand that point of view.

On the plus side, the cinematography is fine, and the music is great--except that the Schubert Piano Trio is from a later period, and the music has to supply the emotion that the director has drained from the scenes.

• Thanks 1

WED., 8-3                                                   Sidney Poitier Day..........

8:00
pm (ET)
A Raisin in the Sun Profile Image

=========================================
IMO,  Poitier's best role..........plays flawed, strong, & finally sympathetic & admirable
:)
  • Like 1

Thursday, August 4

Ruth Roman

v1.bjsxNzMzMjU7ajsxOTIxNzsxMjAwOzI3NDk7M

6 a.m.  Always Leave Them Laughing (1949).  With Milton Berle.  I haven’t seen this one.  Sounds cringe-worthy.

• Like 2