Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Bogie56

i just saw a cooper movie "one sunday afternoon"

i thought it was surprisingly good.

i'm not the biggest fan on early 30s, ie i won't go out of my way,,,,but this was a surprising movie but mainly i was curious

1...i had never seen fay wray in anything but a nightie  with a big ape

2..i like coop. i think underrated

3...weird plot and weird beginning

4...and arc with a few twists

1....fay wray was not a nice person in this one and she does a good job as she channels mae west

2....some people think coop was a stiff actor. that was just his style. his acting  always had elements of subtle moves to me. he shows it here

3...the plot.  a dentist, cooper,  is out for revenge on a man he thinks stole his girl, except the girl never liked coop to begin with. the plot starts out as a romcom, then drama, then turns into edgy revenge, then enlightenment

4...unexpected twists

there's a scene in the beginning where the two buddies try to hook up with the two gals. i thought coop was brilliant. he's at once rogueish, dopey, naive, and love-struck like a teenager. if anything it was an interesting watch just to catch a glimpse of the mores of that time - maybe because the hook was a grown up cooper acting almost teenager-ish.

anyway,,,i even surprised myself for staying with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, miltk said:

i just saw a cooper movie "one sunday afternoon"

i thought it was surprisingly good.

i'm not the biggest fan on early 30s, ie i won't go out of my way,,,,but this was a surprising movie but mainly i was curious

1...i had never seen fay wray in anything but a nightie  with a big ape

2..i like coop. i think underrated

3...weird plot and weird beginning

4...and arc with a few twists

1....fay wray was not a nice person in this one and she does a good job as she channels mae west

2....some people think coop was a stiff actor. that was just his style. his acting  always had elements of subtle moves to me. he shows it here

3...the plot.  a dentist, cooper,  is out for revenge on a man he thinks stole his girl, except the girl never liked coop to begin with. the plot starts out as a romcom, then drama, then turns into edgy revenge, then enlightenment

4...unexpected twists

there's a scene in the beginning where the two buddies try to hook up with the two gals. i thought coop was brilliant. he's at once rogueish, dopey, naive, and love-struck like a teenager. if anything it was an interesting watch just to catch a glimpse of the mores of that time - maybe because the hook was a grown up cooper acting almost teenager-ish.

anyway,,,i even surprised myself for staying with it. 

story remade to superior The Straw berry Blonde........

"The Strawberry Blonde is a 1941 American romantic comedy film directed by Raoul Walsh, starring James Cagney and Olivia de Havilland, and featuring Rita Hayworth, Alan Hale, Jack Carson, and George Tobias.........

Strawberry_Blonde_(1941_film_poster).jpg

:) 

Sunday, August 7

Gene Kelly

hethinkshehearsafootstep_singinintherain

4 p.m.  Singin’ In the Rain (1952).  I can’t say that I like any of the other films.  Jacques Demy’s The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967) would have been an interesting choice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

11:45 p.m.  Network (1976).  I’m in the audience of the Howard Beale show somewhere.

Tell us about the experience! 😃

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Tell us about the experience! 😃

I have a few times already.  I was just an extra in that scene I mentioned.  But one notable thing was after an announced break an elderly lady sitting in front of me called out to Peter Finch who then came over.  She said, "Oh, Mr. Finch.  You are surely going to win an Academy Award for this."  He took her hand, and said "Thank you, dear lady, but you mustn't say that because it is bad luck."

Later I thought they were both right.  Finch won the Oscar but unfortunately it was awarded posthumously.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wednesday, August 10

Greta Garbo

image.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

12:30 p.m.  Camille (1937).  Maybe not the best Garbo film but perhaps her finest performance.  Not the easiest material.

• Like 2

TUES., 8-9                                                    SUTS:  Wm. Holden........

8:00
pm (ET)
Sunset Blvd. Profile Image

"That this completely original work is so marvelously satisfying, dramatically perfect, and technically brilliant is no haphazard Hollywood miracle but the inevitable consequence of the collaboration of Charles Brackett and Billy Wilder." -- The Hollywood Reporter.

"...Sunset Boulevard is much the most ambitious movie about Hollywood ever done, and is the best of several good ones into the bargain." -- James Agee, Sight and Sound.

"William Holden is doing the finest acting of his career. His range and control of emotions never falters, and he engenders a full measure of compassion for a character who is somewhat less than admirable." -- T.M.P., The New York Times.
  • Like 2

Thursday, August 11

Laurence Harvey

Unknown-1.jpeg?format=750w

6 p.m.  The Running Man (1962).  Pretty good effort by Carol Reed co-starring Lee Remick.

But where is my favourite,  Expresso Bongo!

958902243224150245.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 12:23 PM, Bogie56 said:

I have a few times already.  I was just an extra in that scene I mentioned.  But one notable thing was after an announced break an elderly lady sitting in front of me called out to Peter Finch who then came over.  She said, "Oh, Mr. Finch.  You are surely going to win an Academy Award for this."  He took her hand, and said "Thank you, dear lady, but you mustn't say that because it is bad luck."

Later I thought they were both right.  Finch won the Oscar but unfortunately it was awarded posthumously.

Bogie , are you the academic Forrest Gump? Because you certainly pop up in culturally and politically significant moments in history. I still remember that story about you accidentally taking the lead in Bush 41's motorcade in 1992 when he was campaigning for reelection. 

• Haha 1

And Right after The Chase (1966) have a look at Meet Marlon Brando a short film by the Maysles brothers, I was surprised how fluent in French Brando was-(I hadforgotten his Polynesian life of many years ),it is a press conference for Morituri, with various reporters from different countries.you will notice how seductive and attentive Brando is with the women there.A very interesting short film

brando.jpeg

• Like 2

Monday, August 15

Randolph Scott

MV5BMTBiMjQ1MGUtMDY4Yi00NGY4LWIxNGQtZDg3

6:30 p.m.  Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend (1957).  Only because I haven’t seen it.  Ride Lonesome (1959) and Ride the High Country (1962) are probably better bets.

• Like 1

Tuesday, August 16

Raquel Welch

MV5BZjZkMzI4Y2YtOWNkYS00MWY3LWI1M2UtMjVi

6 a.m.  Flareup (1969).  I recall seeing this when it was released and despite being a fan of Raquel I thought it was pretty ridiculous.

TU ES., 8-16                                           SUTS:   Raquel W elch...........

(times ET)

6:00
pm
The Four Musketeers Profile Image

=======================================================

-Entertaining Richard Lester adaptions...........w/great casts  
:)
  • Like 3

Wait, it's Raquel Welch day and they didn't schedule Myra Breckinridge? That kind of peeves me. :angry: That's my personal favorite film of hers. It's a decent adaptation and not even in a so bad it's good way.

2 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Wait, it's Raquel Welch day and they didn't schedule Myra Breckinridge? That kind of peeves me. :angry: That's my personal favorite film of hers. It's a decent adaptation and not even in a so bad it's good way.

Never cared for Raquel Welch so this is another day that I won't watch TCM.

4 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Myra Breckinridge also has strong ties to "classic" film stars in Mae West and actor\director John Huston.   But it is a 20th Century Fox film,  and they may not wish to lease it to TCM.

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I love the great dueling scene between Christopher Lee and Michael York in this film!

Lee talks about this in the dvd extras.  He was quite proud of his swordsmanship.

• Like 1