Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Thursday, December 17

11:45 a.m.  The Battle of Gettysburg (1956)  This documentary looks intriguing.

8 p.m.  So Dear to My Heart (1948)  I saw this not too long ago.  Beulah Bondi and Burl Ives are always quite good.

9:30 p.m.  onwards.  The Disney fare may be the best programming of the month so far.

midnight.  Never Cry Wolf (1983).  This Carroll Ballard adaptation of the Farley Mowat story is very good.  Charles Martin Smith and Brian Dennehy are excellent.  

• Like 1

I agree that the Disney fare looks the most intriguing tomorrow:

I'm most interested in:

-So Dear to My Heart

-The four cartoons: Rescue Dog, The Grasshopper and the Ants, Corn Chips, Polar Trappers

-White Wilderness documentary, particularly the annual lemming suicide ritual 

• Like 1

If the circus movie focused more on other parts of the circus like the animals and the tightwire and trapeze acts, then I'd be more interested. 

I focus on Burt Lancaster in his trapeze tights! Yeowsah!

• Like 1

Friday, December 18

Wow, the month is not three weeks old yet and A Christmas Carol (1938) has already been on three times.  Christmas in Connecticut, Remember the Night and Holiday Affair are all repeats from a few days ago too.

What’s next?  Bill Murray’s Groundhog Day?

• Like 2

Tomorrow I recommend:

Alice Adams.  This is a great film starring Katharine Hepburn and Fred MacMurray.  It's a small film, no frills, nothing crazy.  It's just a sweet story about a young, lower class woman (Hepburn) who has her sights set on an upper class, young man (MacMurray).  The highlight is a scene where MacMurray visits Hepburn and her family for dinner and they fall over backwards trying to impress him in order to make him think that they were more in line with his status in society.  I'm recording this movie again even though I've seen it like 3-4 times.

I'll Be Seeing You. A sweet romantic film set around Christmastime.  This film stars Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten and a teenage Shirley Temple.  Despite what Maltin says, this film is worth watching. 

Christmas in Connecticut.  This film stars Barbara Stanwyck as a magazine writer who specializes in articles involving various aspects of homemaking.  Her columns are so popular that it is assumed that she must be an excellent homemaker in real life--which isn't the case at all.  The conflict of the story is that Stanwyck ends up having to entertain and war veteran and her boss over the holiday season.  Dennis Morgan co-stars as the war veteran and Sydney Greenstreet portrays her boss. 

I'm planning on recording:

Remember the Night.  I've never seen this Barbara Stanwyck film and I'd like to see it.  I also enjoy Fred MacMurray, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to record:

Quality Street.  This film stars Katharine Hepburn and features Joan Fontaine and Bonita Granville.  I'm a fan of Hepburn and haven't seen this film before. 

Vigil in the Night.  A Carole Lombard film I haven't seen and I've been trying to see more of her work. 

I'll hopefully be recording VIGIL IN THE NIGHT. This will be the fourth or fifth try. Something usually goes wrong. I want to see it for the small role Peter Cushing plays. VIGIL was the last film he made during his short pre-war attempt as a Hollywood actor. After this, he went back to Britain and joined the military.

speedracer5--watching "Quality Street"  (1937) is like chugging a gallon size bottle of corn syrup.  The super sweetness-stickiness of it all is nauseating.  Katharine Hepburn has an occasional intelligent line and Cora Witherspoon gives a hemlock flavored performance; otherwise, all is much too sweet.  James Barrie (except for Peter Pan) plays are unbearably sappy.  Just my opinion, and my opinion may well be different from others.

• Like 1

TCM Underground for night of: Saturday, December 19, 2015:

Possession (1981)

Black Moon (1975)

I will strongly recommend placing a bookmark in your sanity so that you will be able to find your place in normality after watching these movies.

• Like 3

speedracer5--watching "Quality Street"  (1937) is like chugging a gallon size bottle of corn syrup.  The super sweetness-stickiness of it all is nauseating.  Katharine Hepburn has an occasional intelligent line and Cora Witherspoon gives a hemlock flavored performance; otherwise, all is much too sweet.  James Barrie (except for Peter Pan) plays are unbearably sappy.  Just my opinion, and my opinion may well be different from others.

Thanks. I'll probably get around to this film sometime. It must have been made during Hepburn's "box office poison" time. I missed recording this film, so I'll have to wait for the next time.

I did record "Vigil in the Night."

• Like 1

TCM Underground for night of: Saturday, December 19, 2015:

Possession (1981)

Black Moon (1975)

I will strongly recommend placing a bookmark in your sanity so that you will be able to find your place in normality after watching these movies.

I've seen POSSESSION. Recommended.

BLACK MOON I haven't seen, but will be recording.

• Like 2

Saturday, December 19

I guess my pick of the day would be …

2 a.m.  Possession (1981) because it has Isabelle Adjani in it.

4:15 a.m.  Black Moon (1975) I thought this Louis Malle was dreadful

• Like 1

12/21 I'm recording THE CHAPMAN REPORT.

It's a late George Cukor film with a great female cast of: Jane Fonda, Claire Bloom, Glynis Johns & the irrepressible Shelly Winters. It's probably a stinker, but may be fun camp like Valley Of The Dolls.

Claire Bloom and Shelly Winters are both strong actresses and always fun seeing them try to elevate sordid subject matter.

Sunday, December 20

Wasn’t Scrooge, It Happened on 5th Avenue and Meet Me In St, Louis only on a few days ago?

If I had to pick a film from today it would be …

3:45 p.m.  Come to the Stable (1949) only because this Loretta Young film is probably not scheduled that often.

• Like 1

I'm recording MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S tomorrow night. It's one of the "1001 Movies to See", but I'm not sure I'll like it, from what I've read. Monday has a couple of 70's films I haven't seen: STEELYARD BLUES and SHEILA LEVINE...

I really liked My Night at Maud's.  In fact I've seen it 3 times.

• Like 2

THE CHAPMAN REPORT: Claire Bloom gives an excellent performance in a bad movie. This is not easy to do. The state of sexual knowledge and liberation is not great here--and that's only the doctors, not the patients. Jane Fonda's late husband is known as "Boy." Whether she married into the Tarzan family is not made clear. Glynis Johns' husband seems to be gay, though this is never stated, and Glynis plays her woman-awakening-to-possibility-of-sex-with-hot-younger-man role more subtly than Carol Channing would have, though not by much. Shelley Winters plays an aspiring actress, and seems miscast. Yes, this one is officially in the BAD MOVIES WE LOVE book.

COME TO THE STABLE: I didn't have high expectations for this one, but liked it very much. Yes, Loretta Young plays a nun. Yes, Celeste Holm plays a tennis-playing nun. Yes, this is like a Frank Capra fable. And yet . . . . World War II is the background, and the way Hugh Marlowe's experience in France works into the film is most satisfying. The scenes with Marlowe, who plays a composer, and his artistic friends ring true. Elsa Lanchester is quite good as a primitive painter, obviously based on Grandma Moses. Marlowe is just fine as the leading man, and Young and Holm give good performances, too. Henry Koster is a somewhat underrated director, and this is one of his best films. To my mind, this is much better than GOING MY WAY, a film I can't stomach.

• Like 2

COME TO THE STABLE: I didn't have high expectations for this one, but liked it very much. Yes, Loretta Young plays a nun. Yes, Celeste Holm plays a tennis-playing nun. Yes, this is like a Frank Capra fable. And yet . . . . World War II is the background, and the way Hugh Marlowe's experience in France works into the film is most satisfying. The scenes with Marlowe, who plays a composer, and his artistic friends ring true. Elsa Lanchester is quite good as a primitive painter, obviously based on Grandma Moses. Marlowe is just fine as the leading man, and Young and Holm give good performances, too. Henry Koster is a somewhat underrated director, and this is one of his best films. To my mind, this is much better than GOING MY WAY, a film I can't stomach.

Shortly after I first saw Come to the Stable on television, I was walking one evening on the East Side of Manhattan. I saw Celeste Holm with two nuns! She wasn't a Catholic, although I think she had a quick connection with the R.C. Church for one of her marriages. I later worked with her once (1999), she told me that her son invented the Internet. And no her son wasn't Al Gore. I've had a number of odd connections related to Ms. Holm.

Sunday,  not a washout despite the repeats & what's been mentioned, there's Temple in the kinda downbeat fantasy, The Blue Bird (Fox's attempt to challenge TWOZ)

& How Green Was My Valley, a classic in anyone's book

& the superior silent Ben-Hur w/Navarro & Bushman

• Like 2

Shortly after I first saw Come to the Stable on television, I was walking one evening on the East Side of Manhattan. I saw Celeste Holm with two nuns! She wasn't a Catholic, although I think she had a quick connection with the R.C. Church for one of her marriages. I later worked with her once (1999), she told me that her son invented the Internet. And no her son wasn't Al Gore. I've had a number of odd connections related to Ms. Holm.

I very much enjoy COME TO THE STABLE 1949 a movie that I own on vhs. Loretta very affectingly plays a nun with good support from Celeste Holm.Loretta portrayed a nun in her television series THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW. I remember a show where she was a nursing nun in a Catholic hospital, and she helped a wounded soldiers morale. He did not know at first that she was a nun. The work that the sisters did on their farm to raise money for a hospital reminded me of Mother Delores. The Abbey Of Regina Laudis is located in Bethleham, Ct., and the sisters work their land to provide what they need.I am happy that TCM is showing this lovely movie for the holiday season.I like THE BELLES OF ST. MARY`S 1945 very much, but GOING MY WAY 1944 isn`t one of my favorites. I am be the only person who likes SAY ONE FOR ME 1959, but it brings back good memories of seeing the film with my mother. The three leads Bing Crosby, Debbie Reynolds, and Robert Wagner fit nicely into their roles.

• Like 2

Monday, December 21

If you missed Period of Adjustment on December 4 it is on again today.

I think the only Jane Fonda film that has not been on recently is ..

8:15 a.m.  Steelyard Blues (1973) with Donald Sutherland.

11:30 p.m.  Girlfriends (1978)  One of the best picks of the month for me.

1:30 a.m.  Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York (1975)  Hey, it’s got Jeannie Berlin in it so it is worth checking out.

• Like 1

Monday, December 21

If you missed Period of Adjustment on December 4 it is on again today.

I think the only Jane Fonda film that has not been on recently is ..

8:15 a.m.  Steelyard Blues (1973) with Donald Sutherland.

11:30 p.m.  Girlfriends (1978)  One of the best picks of the month for me.

1:30 a.m.  Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York (1975)  Hey, it’s got Jeannie Berlin in it so it is worth checking out.

'Steelyard Blues' and 'Sheila Levine' are true collectables. I can't remember the last time either of these were see-able anywhere on the tube. Probably the late 70's/early 80's.

Now, if we could just get 'Portnoy's Complaint' and 'The Marriage of a Young Stockbroker'. Yes, I'm a Richard Benjamin fan. Big time.

• Like 1

I like Jane Fonda, I think she is a very good actress.

I'm looking over the schedule tomorrow, I know I have Sunday in New York already recorded.  I also still haven't watched Cat Ballou, so maybe I can have my own Fonda marathon.  

I'm interested in: 

The Chapman Report

Steelyard Blues

Any Wednesday

My DVR is getting full.  I just had to delete a ton of episodes of Alton Brown's Good Eats so that my DVR would stop warning me about the DVR capacity.  I fear that I'll have to be more selective in my recordings until I can make some headway on the DVR. I'm out of control. 

• Like 1