Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Lord Love a Duck.  This sounds like a makeover movie and takes place in high school.  I love teen movies and I love makeover movies.  I especially love teenage makeover movies (e.g. "Clueless.")

I'm looking forward to this movie as well.

And I'm also a fan of CLUELESS.

"Rollin' with the homies."

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to this movie as well.

And I'm also a fan of CLUELESS.

"Rollin' with the homies."

"You're a virgin who can't drive."

"That was way harsh, Tai"

• Like 1

"Christian had a thing for Tony Curtis so he brought over SOME LIKE IT HOT and SPORATICUS."

"He does dress better than I do. What would I bring to the relationship?"

Tomorrow is a big day and night of taping for me.

The Bobo (1967) 6:45 A.M. EST

Never Let Go (1960)  1:45 P.M. EST    These two films I haven't seen from Peter Sellers.

And from the "From Caligari to Hitler" line-up

Diary of a Lost Girl (1929) 10:30 P.M. EST

Westfront 1918 (1930) 12:15 A.M. EST     Both of which look good and have been recommended.

Wednesday, April 27

Peter Sellers by day and G.W. Pabst by night.

midnight.  Westfront 1918 (1930)  A film to rival All Quiet on the Western Front.

1:45 a.m.  The 3 Penny Opera (1931) with Lotte Lenya!

• Like 3

Thursday, April 28

Sophia Loren night!  I can't think of any other station to do this kind of thing.

8 p.m.  Sophia live from the TCM Classic Film festival.

9:15 p.m.  Human Voice (2014).  Probably our only chance to see Sophia in this new short film directed by her son.

Here are two that I have not seen …

2:45 a.m.  The Priest’s Wife (1970)

4:45 a.m.  More Than a Miracle (1967)

• Like 2

Thursday, April 28

Sophia Loren night!  I can't think of any other station to do this kind of thing.

8 p.m.  Sophia live from the TCM Classic Film festival.

9:15 p.m.  Human Voice (2014).  Probably our only chance to see Sophia in this new short film directed by her son.

Here are two that I have not seen …

2:45 a.m.  The Priest’s Wife (1970)

4:45 a.m.  More Than a Miracle (1967)

The HUMAN VOICE short film actually premiered on TCM last year, so we may get another opportunity to see it subsequent to tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

Friday, April 29:

6:00 PM ABBA: The Movie (1977). Chronicles the Swedish pop group on their whirlwind concert tour of Australia in March, 1977. There's a framing story of a DJ whose job it is to get an interview with the band, but always managing to wind up one step behind them. That framing story isn't very good, except for allowing the fictional DJ to get "candid" interviews with "regular" Australians -- I have no idea how much of this footage was scripted and staged. There's a funny scene of a cabbie who seems to be the one Aussie to hate ABBA, and two little girls who wind up in giggles because one of them says ABBA's outfits are "sexy".

The concert footage is good, but the backstage footage of ABBA is even better. Some of it was obviously scripted since they all speak English to each other and not Swedish. But getting to see Björn and Benny play Swedish folk tunes is nice.

• Like 1

ARABESQUE (1966) with Sophia Loren and Gregory Peck is on later tonight and it's been on several times in the recent past.  It's a Universal Picture and that surprises me.  This is the 3rd time I've noted "Arabesque" airing on TCM recently.    

The 1965 Universal movie 'MIRAGE' starring Gregory Peck premiered on TCM last year, but I don't recall it airing more than 1 time.       

• Like 2
ho-hum.

it's gonna be another one of those nights (04/28).

anyway, for tonight, i got on deck:

killer that stalked new york, the (1950)

mark of dimtrios, the (1944)

missing guest, the (1938)

sign of four: sherlock holmes' greatest case, the (1932)

ARABESQUE (1966) with Sophia Loren and Gregory Peck is on later tonight and it's been on several times in the recent past.  It's a Universal Picture and that surprises me.  This is the 3rd time I've noted "Arabesque" airing on TCM recently.      

I have noticed this too. it's on an awful lot.

(maybe it was part of some package deal they made; it's even possible the rights to the film lapsed and they can show it for free.)

killer that stalked new york, the (1950)

Nice low-budget docudrama. One that would be paired well with Richard Widmark's Panic in the Streets, which I think is also from 1950.

Friday, April 29

6:00 p.m.  Abba: The Movie (1977) by Lasse Hallstrom no less.  Would have made a good triple bill with Muriel’s Wedding (1994) and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

• Like 1

Friday, April 29

6:00 p.m.  Abba: The Movie (1977) by Lasse Hallstrom no less.  Would have made a good triple bill with Muriel’s Wedding (1994) and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

I am recording ABBA: THE MOVIE.

I love both MURIEL'S WEDDING ("Muriel, you're terrible . . .") and THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA: QUEEN OF THE DESERT.

• Like 1

Saturday, April 30th--All times E.S.T.:

4:00 p.m. "Five Million Years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit") (1968)--Third film of the Quatermass series--one of the best sci-fi movies of the 1960's, IMHO.

8:00 p.m. "The Uninvited" (1944)--Excellent ghost story, if you haven't seen it.

• Like 3

Saturday, April 30th--All times E.S.T.:

4:00 p.m. "Five Million Years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit") (1968)--Third film of the Quatermass series--one of the best sci-fi movies of the 1960's, IMHO.

I totally agree.

SPOILER ALERT:

One of my favorite lines is when they carry the "thing" out of the Tube station. Barbara Shelley looks at it and shouts "My God!"  You think she's exclaiming because she shocked by what she sees, but -- as we learn later -- it really is her God!

I also think a wonderfully creepy piece of acting is when the guy runs out of the Tube, all the way to the church, and describes his vision of life on Mars, 5 million years ago.

And I love the fact that the film is a great combo of a very good sci-fi film with a great horror film, related to the origin of the devil.

• Like 4

"Five Million Years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit") (1968)--Third film of the Quatermass series--one of the best sci-fi movies of the 1960's, IMHO.

They do run that one an awful lot, though. I'm still waiting for the almost-never shown chapter 2 in the Quatermass series - 'Enemy from Space' (1957).

I once heard Ben say that TCM had shown it, but it has to have been a very long time ago because I've been waiting for at least 10 years to see it here.

Saw it as a child of 7 or 8 and it frightened me badly. An eerie, troubling movie.

• Like 2