Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

nipkowdisc reviews hell's angels on wheels

NipkowDisc

I've enjoyed this one since first seeing it decades ago on the old cbs late movie. opens good with jack nicholson working at a gas station who is disrespected by his employer as just another young hooligan so he falls in with adam rorke's bunch. rorke is plenty likable as motorcycle gang leader buddy. except for insisting that they all must do what he says without question, buddy has a pretty good camaraderie with his men. the fly in the ointment is conflicted Shill (sabrina scharf) who can't make up her mind to be florence nightingale or a bimbo. nicholson's poet goes the extra mile to cut through her bs but to no avail. women. buddy trying to even a score for poet wacks some shiv pulling swabby and kills him. the ending is a real suck job. I mean what was the problem? anyone coulda figured out the proper ending. first let me say I wouldn't have made irrepressible buddy such a louse at the end. dumb. anyways, after the conflicted shill jerks poet around yet again, buddy interjects and poet talks back to the man. a fight ensues with shill tossing a tire iron to buddy against a fool trying to defend her honor. so poet walks away like he shoulda done 45 minutes before and buddy tries to run him down with his bike. buddy falls over on his bike and is duly incinerated with the tire iron tossing shill aghast...and that's the end....

now what shoulda happened is after buddy gets cooked, poet should have continued to walk off with shill falling to her knees and pitifully sobbing while hearing the sound of poet's bike revving up and driving away leaving her to continue sobbing at the thought of just not losing one of her guys but both of them. poet-ic justice. that is the ending we shoulda got. :D 

"you're three quarts down!"

2qd9500.jpg

• Like 1

I've enjoyed this one since first seeing it decades ago on the old cbs late movie. opens good with jack nicholson working at a gas station who is disrespected by his employer as just another young hooligan so he falls in with adam rorke's bunch. rorke is plenty likable as motorcycle gang leader buddy. except for insisting that they all must do what he says without question, buddy has a pretty good camaraderie with his men. the fly in the ointment is conflicted Shill (sabrina scharf) who can't make up her mind to be florence nightingale or a bimbo. nicholson's poet goes the extra mile to cut through her bs but to no avail. women. buddy trying to even a score for poet wacks some shiv pulling swabby and kills him. the ending is a real suck job. I mean what was the problem? anyone coulda figured out the proper ending. first let me say I wouldn't have made irrepressible buddy such a louse at the end. dumb. anyways, after the conflicted shill jerks poet around yet again, buddy interjects and poet talks back to the man. a fight ensues with shill tossing a tire iron to buddy against a fool trying to defend her honor. so poet walks away like he shoulda done 45 minutes before and buddy tries to run him down with his bike. buddy falls over on his bike and is duly incinerated with the tire iron tossing shill aghast...and that's the end....

now what shoulda happened is after buddy gets cooked, poet should have continued to walk off with shill falling to her knees and pitifully sobbing while hearing the sound of poet's bike revving up and driving away leaving shill to continue sobbing at the thought of just not losing one of her guys but both of them. poet-ic justice. that is the ending we shoulda got. :D

"you're three quarts down!"

2qd9500.jpg

Do the real bikers who go to Timonium like this movie?

Nipkow,

While I can't say I fully agree with your assessment of this film, I do like the amount of passion it seems to create in you. That's what makes watching classic films so much fun-- they reach us on some level and make an impression.

Best thing about these kinds of flicks is seein' all those old school Harley Panhead choppers and some of those old Britbikes in 'em.

(..other than that, sorry, I think they're pretty darn badly made and in some cases downright unintentionally funny...especially some of the fight scenes in 'em where you can plainly see the badly staged and missed punches but yet of course the guy on the receiving end of 'em goes flying backwards!)

I think they're pretty darn badly made and in some cases downright unintentionally funny...

After watching the Billy Jack movie last night, I would say these flicks are unintentionally humorous because they take themselves too seriously. They often attempt to be deeply philosophical (and come across as amateurish). Also, the characters tend to spout pseudo-psychological mumbo jumbo--I mean, much of the dialogue is atrociously written and performed. Most of these films had to seem funny to audiences that watched them upon their initial release. But I do think that is part of what makes them a bit enjoyable.

Best thing about these kinds of flicks is seein' all those old school Harley Panhead choppers and some of those old Britbikes in 'em.

(..other than that, sorry, I think they're pretty darn badly made and in some cases downright unintentionally funny...especially some of the fight scenes in 'em where you can plainly see the badly staged and missed punches but yet of course the guy on the receiving end of 'em goes flying backwards!)

Yup.

There were so many biker movies made between say, 1966-74, it's hard to keep track of them all.  My guess is because so many of them were made on the cheap they made their production costs back and then some so there was a plethora of Biker Flicks made to cruise through the drive-ins.  

The cheapest biker movie I've ever seen is ROAD OF DEATH (1973).  Filmed in Florida.  Released on video by Something Weird Video and I bought a VHS copy in 2009.  I've endeavoured to watch this movie twice and it's A-mazing!  (In a very bad way, of course.  You couldn't possibly think this would be a GOOD movie, would you?)

There's a couple of 'biker' movies I know of that do not have a contemporary setting.  The 1973 movie 'HEX' (aka:  'The Shrieking', 'Charms') involves an early biker gang in post-WWI Nebraska.  I've seen this movie once and it's really weird!  The bikers invade a farm to cause trouble, but the two sisters who live there aren't easy prey!   

The 1979 movie FAST CHARLIE, THE MOONBEAM RIDER I would like to see sometime.  Also takes place in post-WWI about an early motorcycle race.  Maybe this movie is buried in a salt mine?  I've never seen it aired anywhere.   

There were so many biker movies made between say, 1966-74, it's hard to keep track of them all.  My guess is because so many of them were made on the cheap they made their production costs back and then some so there was a plethora of Biker Flicks made to cruise through the drive-ins.  

Good point here, Mr.G.

And, I think another reason for the surge in this particular genre's production was that it coincided at the same time that Baby Boomers were responsible for the never before seen boom in motorcycle sales in America, and thus catering to an additional "built-in audience" eager to catch them.

(...I know this was primarily the only reason I personally was ever tempted to plunk down the money I earned by working as a supermarket box boy back then and go see any of these films back in the day, anyway...the money I didn't spend on my old BSA 650cc Lightning at the time, anyway...a motorcycle I might add that was considered a "big bike" back then, BUT as is the case now days with the ever-growing girth of the average American, would NOW be considered a small-to-midsize motorcycle!!!)   ;)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings