Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Leave Her to Heaven".... in real life.....

FredCDobbs

"Prosecutors at a bail hearing in Orange County, N.Y., on Wednesday said that Angelika Graswald, the woman accused of intentionally drowning her fiancé in the Hudson River last month, had told the police that she tampered with his kayak and had said it “felt good knowing he was going to die.”"

More here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/nyregion/angelika-graswald-kayak-suspect-reportedly-felt-good-fiance-would-die.html

Yeah, but is she as cute as Gene Tierney? And does she have an equally cute sister like Jeanne Crain? :)

Nope Mr.R., from that picture they show of the accused in the link there, she doesn't appear to have a sexy overbite like Miss Tierney sported.

(...she DOES have the dimples, though)

KAYAKweb4-master315.jpg

The couple in apparently "happier times".

"Prosecutors at a bail hearing in Orange County, N.Y., on Wednesday said that Angelika Graswald, the woman accused of intentionally drowning her fiancé in the Hudson River last month, had told the police that she tampered with his kayak and had said it “felt good knowing he was going to die.”"

More here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/nyregion/angelika-graswald-kayak-suspect-reportedly-felt-good-fiance-would-die.html

since the motive seems financially based, may be closer to A PLACE IN THE SUN or even MONSIEUR VERDOUX ? ;)

Nope Mr.R., from that picture they show of the accused in the link there, she doesn't appear to have a sexy overbite like Miss Tierney sported.

(...she DOES have the dimples, though)

KAYAKweb4-master315.jpg

The couple in apparently "happier times".

I understand that she turned on him when he grew a moustache.

Speaking of overbites Dargo, I was thinking of you just this morning when I recalled perhaps the oddest item that I have ever seen for sale on ebay.

A dental mould of Groucho Marx's bridge no less.  

The starting bid was fixed at $500.  I don't know what happened to it.  Perhaps it may come up for resale one day in your dear old town?

• Like 1

since the motive seems financially based, may be closer to A PLACE IN THE SUN or even MONSIEUR VERDOUX ? ;)

I agree.   Also, not just the motive but who was killed.    In LHTH Gene kills her fiancé' brother (or really allows him to die).   So I don't see any connection between this real event and that movie expect for how someone was killed.  

In APITS Clift also doesn't kill Winters (i.e. throw her off the boat),  but instead lets her drown.   

Speaking of overbites Dargo, I was thinking of you just this morning when I recalled perhaps the oddest item that I have ever seen for sale on ebay.

The starting bid was fixed at $500.  I don't know what happened to it.  Perhaps it may come up for resale one day in your dear old town?

A dental mold of Groucho's bridge?  Maybe they meant his viaduct. A lot of people confuse the two. ;)

tumblr_mmhaylvmVE1rwkhhno1_500.gif

"500 bucks, eh?! Sounds like somebody's trying to put the bite on someone here, if you ask me!"

;)

• Like 2

That scene where Gene Tierney (wearing sunglasses) lets Darryl Hickman drown is really powerful. 

300full-leave-her-to-heaven-screenshot1.

Very true.    It is her cold indifference that is chilling.    This is why I feel the scene is related to the drowning scene in A Place In The Sun.   

• Like 1

Very true.    It is her cold indifference that is chilling.    This is why I feel the scene is related to the drowning scene in A Place In The Sun.   

I know someone who says that she can no longer watch the drowning scene in LEAVE HER HEAVEN now that she's a mother. 

She can't help thinking about her own son.

I know someone who says that she can no longer watch the drowning scene in LEAVE HER HEAVEN now that she's a mother. 

She can't help thinking about her own son.

Yep, quite a shame and the circumstances involved in all that, Holden.

And speaking of Miss Tierney and motherhood...

I remember as a teenager watching this movie and afterwards telling my mother how attractive I thought Gene Tierney was.

Well, Mom replied that she "had issues" with her ever since she had watched this film years earlier and especially after seeing the scene were Tierney forced her abortion by purposely falling down the staircase.

(...before my mother and father adopted me as an infant, they had lost two infants daughters within a few days after their deliveries back in the late-1940s and due to their "Rh Factor"...a medical condition while not a big deal today, was something medical science of the time hadn't yet figured out how to handle successfully)

Yep, quite a shame and the circumstances involved in all that, Holden.

And speaking of Miss Tierney and motherhood...

I remember as a teenager watching this movie and afterwards telling my mother how attractive I thought Gene Tierney was.

Well, Mom replied that she "had issues" with her ever since she had watched this film years earlier and especially after seeing the scene were Tierney forced her abortion by purposely falling down the staircase.

(...before my mother and father adopted me as an infant, they had lost two infants daughters within a few days after their deliveries back in the late-1940s and due to their "Rh Factor"...a medical condition while not a big deal today, was something medical science of the time hadn't yet figured out how to handle successfully)

I really don't understand people that appear to fail to understand that actors are ACTING!     e.g. how did your mom feel about Dan Duryea?   ;)

I really don't understand people that appear to fail to understand that actors are ACTING!     e.g. how did your mom feel about Dan Duryea?   ;)

Yeah, I know what ya mean here, James. I guess my Mom in this case, and due of course to what I earlier mentioned, was never able to fully disassociate actor from role here, and which I suppose is sort of a left-handed compliment to the actor's talent.

Hmmmm..."Duryea". Well, she probably thought the guy was kind'a "creepy", but I don't specifically recall her ever mentioning what she thought of him.

(...wait...NOW that I think about this again, I MIGHT remember her once calling him "Ol' Prune Face", but of course you know how childhood memories can sometimes prove to be sooooo utterly unreliable!) ;)

Yeah, I know what ya mean here, James. I guess my Mom in this case, and due of course to what I earlier mentioned, was never able to fully disassociate actor from role here, and which I suppose is sort of a left-handed compliment to the actor's talent.

Hmmmm..."Duryea". Well, she probably thought the guy was kind'a "creepy", but I don't specifically recall her ever mentioning what she thought of him.

(...wait...NOW that I think about this again, I MIGHT remember her once calling him "Ol' Prune Face", but of course you know how childhood memories can sometimes prove to be sooooo utterly unreliable!) ;)

With regards to Duryea,  I only mentioned him because he was a family man, mellow, sweet,  just a down to earth cool guy etc... so much different than his screen persona.   

With regards to Duryea,  I only mentioned him because he was a family man, mellow, sweet,  just a down to earth cool guy etc... so much different than his screen persona.   

I know.

(...and besides, Mom always DID like prunes for breakfast as I recall, and so maybe Dan was A-OK in her book anyway) ;)

I really don't understand people that appear to fail to understand that actors are ACTING!     

When I was a child I didn't like Robert Ryan at all.  In fact I didn't even rate him as an actor.  Then I figured out why.  He had done too good a job in Billy Budd and I guess I hated his screen character so much that it had subconsciously transferred that feeling toward him as a person and as an actor.

I know.

(...and besides, Mom always DID like prunes for breakfast as I recall, and so maybe Dan was A-OK in her book anyway) ;)

I'm always intrigued by the expression "family man". A guy with a family is in general a better person than a guy with no family? (this response is to jjg's post)

I'm always intrigued by the expression "family man". A guy with a family is in general a better person than a guy with no family? (this response is to jjg's post)

Generally, yes.

But there are exceptions where single men are good men too.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings