Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fess up and be honest here...what role in what movie would have "Central Casting" placed you in?

Dargo

Okay...now this little exercise requires some, well okay, A LOT of self-awareness here, as its premise is NOT who you would've LIKED "Central Casting" to have cast you as, but IS about who you honestly think your general persona and maybe even your general overall "image" to others most closely is akin to and being played by any actor or actress, a leading OR character actor/actress in any movie ever made.

I mean, sure, probably a lot of us guys might love to think of ourselves wielding a sword and playing some Errol Flynn part, but once again that is NOT the question posed here. 

Now, ME?! Well, personally I think "Central Casting" might have seriously considered me for the role the smart-mouthed movie studio promotional agent played by Jack Carson in the '54 version of A STAR IS BORN. I mean, once "Central Casting" had gained the insight that I personally would be one to have LOVED to have clocked James Mason's pathetic Norman 'Oh Woe Is Me' Maine character in the racetrack bar scene in that movie, I believe I could have probably been pretty darn good in it!

(...if I do say so myself)

LOL

• Like 1

I would have been one of the extras in the big saloon fight, the guy that gets a beer bottle over the head from  the cute little saloon gal.

You COULD always get your SAG card and get a speaking part ya know, Mr.R?! ;)

(...'cept I hear in order to get one of those cards, ya first have to HAVE a speaking part, huh...what's a Hopeful to do, eh?!) 

By the way, Mr Dargo, last night I saw that one of the old time movie channels was again  playing the Duke Wayne film McLINTOCK!  (for about the 3 dozenth time) and Chill Wills plays his buddy "Drago" . So who is misspelling/mispronouncing the name?  I know you know this film very well,  young Miss Stefanie plays the Duke's daughter.  And I still kind of picture you in the  Jerry Van Dyke part.  ;)

Now, ME?! Well, personally I think "Central Casting" might have seriously considered me for the role the smart-mouthed movie studio promotional agent played by Jack Carson in the '54 version of A STAR IS BORN. I mean, once "Central Casting" had gained the insight that I personally would be one to have LOVED to have clocked James Mason's pathetic Norman 'Oh Woe Is Me' Maine character in the racetrack bar scene in that movie, I believe I could have probably been pretty darn good in it!

(...if I do say so myself)

LOL

Dargo, I have no doubt that you would have been great casting in that Jack Carson part. Just your reference here to "pathetic Norman "Oh Woe Is Me" Maine character" shows that you have the same natural built-in sensitivity to Maine's plight that Carson's callous schnook did. And you obviously relish the thought of possibly dislocating Mason's jaw as you slam him into another world, too!  Bonus!

I can envision your unbridled enthusiasm for playing that scene, too, every day showing up on the movie set and asking the director, "Do I get to slug him today? Do I get to slug him today?"

As for myself, I would have been great casting as one of the villagers running around with a torch in his hand, ready to burn the windmill at the end of Frankenstein. Either that, or let me play Renfield in Dracula. Now there's a kook and a half, and I think I could have mastered that part quite nicely. (Note: to play this role particularly well, though, it might help if I stayed off my meds for at least a week and a half). ;)

16b29e9e-92cd-4de7-a9e9-e7d822696a82_zps

• Like 1

LOL

Yeah, well Tom, and re the Jack Carson thing, remember here, I DID say somethin' earlier about "the image you give off to others", RIGHT?!

(...and have you EVER known me to be "sensitive" to others and their "feelings" around THIS place???) ;) 

LOL

(...and have you EVER known me to be "sensitive" to others and their "feelings" around THIS place???) ;)

Well, a couple of times I think I saw a little sensitivity sneak into some of your posts. Sorry, I don't mean to upset you, Dargo. If it makes you feel any better, normally I think you're a brute. ;)

Well, a couple of times I think I saw a little sensitivity sneak into some of your posts. Sorry, I don't mean to upset you, Dargo. If it makes you feel any better, normally I think you're a brute.

Dargo is a a nice guy, TomJH,  but sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind.  

Me?

Probably one of the bums in IRONWEED.  Or, if they looked at the "newsie" style hat I'm usually sporting( usually through the winter months) they might have put me somewhere in the "formative years" segments of HOFFA.

But, that's all in the past.  NOW I'd probably be cast as the "old coot" in some movie or other.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I'd be Gilbert.Roland, Arturo de.Cordoba or some other suave, smarmy, slightly oily Latin Lover. With my pencil moustache and bedroom eyes, I'd have a lucrative, and enjoyable, career.as a.second.lead, leading the leading ladies astray from their true, if whitebread love, until the final.moments of the final reel.

• Like 1

Are we casting by looks or persona?

I've been told I look like Hugh Grant

But in personality I'm a bizarre mating of Billy Liar and Oscar Levant

Good point in question here, Doc.

Actually, yes, I was more going for one's general persona than I was their physical resemblance to some actor.

(...'cause in my case anyway, I've been told I look and even sound a lot like James Coburn)

Are we casting by looks or persona?

I've been told I look like Hugh Grant

But in personality I'm a bizarre mating of Billy Liar and Oscar Levant

Interesting. Someone once walked up to ME and told me I looked like Hugh Grant. I don't see it .Maybe he got confused between Hugh Grant and Cary Grant. Or Ulysses S. Grant. Or Lou Grant.

• Like 1

Interesting. Someone once walked up to ME and told me I looked like Hugh Grant. I don't see it .Maybe he got confused between Hugh Grant and Cary Grant. Or Ulysses S. Grant. Or Lou Grant.

I've also been told I look like Jim Morrison (which I don't see at ALL) as well as David Arquette. A combo of Arquette and Grant is probably the most accurate description.

LOL

Well DGF, if you might have ever attended a Halloween party dressed in drag and someone walked up to you and said you looked like LEE Grant, you should have taken that as a compliment!

(...'cause I always thought she was kind'a hot!)

LOL

Well DGF, if you might have ever attended a Halloween party dressed in drag and someone walked up to you and said you looked like LEE Grant, you should have taken that as a compliment!

(...'cause I always thought she was kind'a hot!)

Apparently the blacklisters weren't that impressed.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings