Find results in...

11 hours ago, spence said:

To Top, check out huge item  I just posted pal

Yes, I saw it. Thanks.

man, you are on the cutting edge

any links I can send that avatar to?

Three silents tonight- woo hoo! :)

• Like 1

I wish they would have put GREED in the primetime spot. One of Hersholt's best performances, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I wish they would have put GREED in the primetime spot. One of Hersholt's best performances, too.

I don't really see this as a Jean Hersholt tribute. If it was truly all about Hersholt, they would have shown one of the Dr. Christian films in which he plays the lead character. It's almost like they are just using him as the theme to trot out films that feature more famous stars (Temple & Garbo). It's because of Temple and Garbo that GREED was pushed into the graveyard shift.

• Like 2

GOOD NEWS again? People talk about the complexity of movie rights, etc. Isn't this an MGM film and part of the Turner library? Did TCM need to repeat it so soon? I'm complaining a little, but also curious to know what other opinions are.

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I don't really see this as a Jean Hersholt tribute. If it was truly all about Hersholt, they would have shown one of the Dr. Christian films in which he plays the lead character. It's almost like they are just using him as the theme to trot out films that feature more famous stars (Temple & Garbo). It's because of Temple and Garbo that GREED was pushed into the graveyard shift.

I know who he was even visited his huge grave outside The Great Maus in Glendale's, Forest Lawn-(it's of him on horseback)  but what is the Humanitarian deal about Hersholt?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spence said:

I know who he was even visited his huge grave outside The Great Maus in Glendale's, Forest Lawn-(it's of him on horseback)  but what is the Humanitarian deal about Hersholt?

This from Wikipedia:

In 1939, Hersholt helped form the Motion Picture Relief Fund to support industry employees with medical care when they were down on their luck. The fund was used to create the Motion Picture Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, California, and it led to the creation in 1956 of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, an honorary Academy Award given to an "individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry".[7]

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

This from Wikipedia:

In 1939, Hersholt helped form the Motion Picture Relief Fund to support industry employees with medical care when they were down on their luck. The fund was used to create the Motion Picture Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, California, and it led to the creation in 1956 of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, an honorary Academy Award given to an "individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry".[7]

I think this is THE most important industry award. This one recognizes the unselfish, the truly philanthropic film stars. 

• Like 1

This is your favorite version of GASLIGHT, if I remember correctly, TopBilled?

I love both versions but this one doesn't air very often, so I'm always sure to catch it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

This is your favorite version of GASLIGHT, if I remember correctly, TopBilled?

I love both versions but this one doesn't air very often, so I'm always sure to catch it!

Yes, the 1940 version of GASLIGHT is my favorite. Good memory!

e8e4e-screen2bshot2b2016-09-292bat2b3-05

On 9/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, TopBilled said:

Yes, the 1940 version of GASLIGHT is my favorite. Good memory!

e8e4e-screen2bshot2b2016-09-292bat2b3-05

Anton Walbrook would be a great SUTS selection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Anton Walbrook would be a great SUTS selection.

Walbrook is a fine actor but I'm not sure he was featured in enough English language films that TCM would be able to lease (it might be difficult for TCM to lease films held by British production companies \ studios).

Of course TCM could lease his German or French films,  but they also might be difficult for TCM to lease.

But hey,  TCM should TRY to do so!