Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Tomorrow on TCM:

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.26.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.26.36 AM.png

THE BLACK CAT has several good attributes, including being the first pairing of Karloff and Lugosi. The production design is also interesting, seeming almost as Art Moderne as an Astaire/Rogers musical. ...But, pay attention to the main theme, which is a romantic melody that builds to a dramatic release. If you think you've heard it before it may be because it was substantially repurposed for DODSWORTH (1936.0

• Like 1

I assume This Gun for Hire is the Noir Alley selection.  I purchased the DVD several years ago and watched it once.  May have to pull it out and watch it again, but I just didn't get much out of it.  Seems to drag a lot.  There are other Noir/mystery movies with Ladd and/or Lake that I do like, but not this one.

Just now, TheCid said:

I assume This Gun for Hire is the Noir Alley selection.  I purchased the DVD several years ago and watched it once.  May have to pull it out and watch it again, but I just didn't get much out of it.  Seems to drag a lot.  There are other Noir/mystery movies with Ladd and/or Lake that I do like, but not this one.

My favorite (of their four collaborations) is THE BLUE DAHLIA. TCM never shows SAIGON (1948).

Just now, TopBilled said:

My favorite (of their four collaborations) is THE BLUE DAHLIA. TCM never shows SAIGON (1948).

I have Blue Dahlia on DVD and watch it occasionally.  Definitely a much better movie than TGFH.  Never seen Saigon, but I am a sucker for any movie purportedly set in Saigon during that period.

• Like 1

I don't like most of the Ladd/Lake Noirs if I had to pick one it would also be Blue Dahlia. My favorite Ladd Noir is Appointment with Danger with no Lake.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 8:53 PM, Dr. Somnambula said:

Watching Roster Cogburn. Wonderful Oregon film. Love the chemistry of John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn.

Yet critics did not like this one  I agree with you though