Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 11/30/2020 at 3:43 PM, TopBilled said:

Tuesday December 1, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 1.01.50 PM

No matter which "aircraft" you originally "flew" in original viewing, the "collision" of the two actors who played the pilots in both THE CROWDED SKY and AIRPORT 1975,  Dana Andrews and Efrem Zimbalist Jr., makes for an interesting in-referencing.

• Like 1
On 12/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday December 4, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.40.16 PM

With its diamond chasing and freed "gorilla" antics, "AFRICA SCREAMS" cried out to a Diamonds Are Forever segue but, alas, a more suitable-for-TCM pairing of films flanked the Abbott and Costello romp.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday December 15, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.14.16 PM

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.14.44 PM

5:00 PM Battle of the Century (1927) 
5:30 PM Lilies of the Field (1963)
7:15 PM Illusions (1982)  
8:00 PM The Joy Luck Club (1993)
10:30 PM Cabin in the Sky (1943)
12:15 AM The Man with the Golden Arm (1956)

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday December 19, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.38.26 AM

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.38.58 AM

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.39.40 AM

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.40.25 AM

I know it's not most people's favorite Tracy/Hepburn pairing, but Desk Set is my favorite film of theirs - maybe a tossup between that and Adam's Rib.   I also want to revisit Susan Slept Here (despite the slightly creepy aspects of the story) because the last time I watched it, the set lighting seemed odd to me, and I want to check that out again.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I know it's not most people's favorite Tracy/Hepburn pairing, but Desk Set is my favorite film of theirs - maybe a tossup between that and Adam's Rib.   

DESK SET has its charms but feels incredibly stage bound and dated. I would consider it my least favorite.

Of all the Tracy-Hepburn pairings, I think I like KEEPER OF THE FLAME and THE SEA OF GRASS best particularly SEA OF GRASS since it's interesting to watch them in a western. I like ADAM'S RIB but it's a little overrated in my opinion while PAT AND MIKE seems like a rehash of the same formula from Kanin & Gordon. 

STATE OF THE UNION has good performances but seems a bit heavy-handed. 

I like WITHOUT LOVE, though it is clear Hepburn has the central role and Tracy is basically there to prop her up. Lucille Ball and Keenan Wynn do fine work in supporting roles and also help elevate the material.

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER is thought-provoking and has excellent performances all around but it is obvious in some scenes that Tracy is quite ill.

• Like 1

Personally, I love Desk Set because it sets off human brains versus computers.  It is also a throwback to old-time Christmas parties.  TopBilled, how do you feel about Woman of the Year?  I love Kate's attempt to make breakfast while deploring her adopt a foreign child without accepting the reality of what it means to be a parent.  As for Guess..., there are two scenes that resonate with me.  One is where the food at the whatever they used to call the places where you parked your car and they brought the food to your car to eat (used to go to one up here) and Spencer says the root beer float or whatever he orders no longer tastes the same.  The other is his toast to how much he loves his wife (which seemed like it was speech he was saying to the actress as much as the character).

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Personally, I love Desk Set because it sets off human brains versus computers.  It is also a throwback to old-time Christmas parties.  TopBilled, how do you feel about Woman of the Year?  I love Kate's attempt to make breakfast while deploring her adopt a foreign child without accepting the reality of what it means to be a parent.  As for Guess..., there are two scenes that resonate with me.  One is where the food at the whatever they used to call the places where you parked your car and they brought the food to your car to eat (used to go to one up here) and Spencer says the root beer float or whatever he orders no longer tastes the same.  The other is his toast to how much he loves his wife (which seemed like it was speech he was saying to the actress as much as the character).

Interesting you mention the drive-in scene with them ordering the food in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. That's the part I had in mind when I said Tracy looks quite ill in some scenes. It feels like he should not be making a movie but should be in bed resting. Yes, the humor (comic relief) helps since the film overall is rather serious in tone.

Thanks for mentioning WOMAN OF THE YEAR, which I had overlooked. I do enjoy it, but the subplot with the refugee child does not work for me...it feels too contrived; it's a plot device meant to make her unnaturally maternal. She is not the maternal type nor should she be. Fay Bainter gives what I feel is the best performance in the film. She had worked with Hepburn previously in QUALITY STREET (1937) also directed by George Stevens.

• Like 1