Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 12/18/2020 at 9:06 PM, txfilmfan said:

I also want to revisit Susan Slept Here (despite the slightly creepy aspects of the story) because the last time I watched it, the set lighting seemed odd to me, and I want to check that out again.

I’m not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but Susan Slept Here seems to have an unusual pastel color theme, with many of the backgrounds in violet, lime green, and pink (for the dream sequence), and shot in technicolor as well so everything really pops.

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

I’m not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but Susan Slept Here seems to have an unusual pastel color theme, with many of the backgrounds in violet, lime green, and pink (for the dream sequence), and shot in technicolor as well so everything really pops.

It's more that there seems to be a preponderance of non-diffuse side lighting that results in harsh shadows.  At least that is how it appears, due to a number of odd shadows cast by the props and cast members and a somewhat eerie atmosphere.  This is most noticeable in the apartment scenes.  The director of photography was Nicholas Musuraca, who  was celebrated for his noir work.  It just looks a bit odd to me in vibrant Technicolor.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:11 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday January 1, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 6.44.02 PM

If I correctly recall, look for film of Brown Jim Brown scoring a touchdown in The Fortune Cookie (1966).....

Jim Brown was soon doing some non-stock footage running that year of '66 for The Dirty Dozen (1967), prematurely ending his professional football career.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NoShear said:

If I correctly recall: Listen for a topical reference to the BATMAN fad and look for film of Brown Jim Brown scoring a touchdown in The Fortune Cookie (1966).....

THE FORTUNE COOKIE probably isn't one of Billy Wilder's best but it's still highly entertaining thanks to Jack Lemmon's neurotic performance.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

THE FORTUNE COOKIE probably isn't one of Billy Wilder's best but it's still highly entertaining thanks to Jack Lemmon's neurotic performance.

It's interesting how topical Billy Wilder could get in his scripts: The Diners' Club th?id=OIP.ysNNn6TH-c2k3BEu-gx_KwHaE1&pid=Api&P=0&w=276&h=181 in The Apartment (1960) , and I'd forgotten about the(n) upcoming 1968 Summer Olympics reference in The Fortune Cookie  - one of several funny lines delivered by Walter Matthau in the movie!

• Like 1