Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm looking forward to THE COSSACKS on Silent Sundays. I really like John Gilbert's films sans Garbo.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, TopBilled said:

Wednesday February 24, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 3.39.44 PM

Regarding last night's screening of Take a Giant Step (1959), I thought I'd briefly stepped out and missed lead Johnny Nash's singing of the(me) song, but apparently it's nonexistent within the movie despite an opening credit to the contrary!?

Re(ggae) Johnny Nash and film, Nash's 1972 number one, "I Can See Clearly Now", was later revisited by Jimmy Cliff for th?id=OIP.IWha7LsUwD_3Pshkv3MYoAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=172&h=171 and here's the original:

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Regarding last night's screening of Take a Giant Step (1959), I thought I'd briefly stepped out and missed lead Johnny Nash's singing of the(me) song, but apparently it's nonexistent within the movie despite an opening credit to the contrary!?

No idea. Perhaps the producers lost the rights to the music and then had to remove it from syndicated prints? Just a guess.

• Thanks 1

I wish they showed YOLANDA AND THE THIEF more often. It's not a great film (like BRIGADOON isn't that great) but has exquisite color and dance numbers like BRIGADOON.

22 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I wish they showed YOLANDA AND THE THIEF more often. It's not a great film (like BRIGADOON isn't that great) but has exquisite color and dance numbers like BRIGADOON.

I like YOLANDA AND THE THIEF and agree that it should be broadcast more often. 

On 2/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, TopBilled said:

Friday February 26, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.52.07 AM

Two on a GuiLLoTin'e was worth the price of a Pacific Ocean Park admission. The mid-Sixties silver screen "bus tour" of Los Angeles includes an interior visit to, I think, Ciro's, which ends with a nice editing "collision" that might have got a sign-off from Sergei Eisenstein himself. There's also an appropriate name drop of The TWILIGHT ZONE - a Henry Slesar story was tapped and, despite the Max Steiner credit, occasional music passages sound like (Nathan) Van Cleave's tilted theremin in "Perchance to Dream":

https://youtu.be/k4rXHuVq9f4

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Two on a GuiLLoTin'e was worth the price of a Pacific Ocean Park admission. The mid-Sixties silver screen "bus tour" of Los Angeles includes an interior visit to, I think, Ciro's, which ends with a nice editing "collision" that might have got a sign-off from Sergei Eisenstein himself. There's also an appropriate name drop of The TWILIGHT ZONE - a Henry Slesar story was tapped and, despite the Max Steiner credit, occasional music passages sounded like (Nathan) Van Cleave's tilted thermin in "Perchance to Dream":

https://youtu.be/k4rXHuVq9f4

We should also mention that TWO ON A GUILLOTINE was directed by William Conrad.

• Like 1

I believe Thursday is the first night of their month long theme, Reframed: Classic Films in the Rear View Mirror.  (Their first batch of movies:  Gone with the Wind, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Rope and The Four Feathers.)   I'm kind of curious about the intros for this series.  

I saw a posting on TCM's Facebook responding to a nervous viewer:  "Many films that TCM airs are problematic for many reasons, but by providing context we’re keeping them alive and relevant to audiences of today. TCM aims to educate and inspire our audience through thoughtful programming and commentary from a diverse roster of hosts, directors, stars, and industry experts. Here's more information on our series, Reframed, and the schedule of films:"

Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror - Turner Classic Movies (tcm.com)

15 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I believe Thursday is the first night of their month long theme, Reframed: Classic Films in the Rear View Mirror.  (Their first batch of movies:  Gone with the Wind, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Rope and The Four Feathers.)   I'm kind of curious about the intros for this series.  

I saw a posting on TCM's Facebook responding to a nervous viewer:  "Many films that TCM airs are problematic for many reasons, but by providing context we’re keeping them alive and relevant to audiences of today. TCM aims to educate and inspire our audience through thoughtful programming and commentary from a diverse roster of hosts, directors, stars, and industry experts. Here's more information on our series, Reframed, and the schedule of films:"

Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror - Turner Classic Movies (tcm.com)

To be honest, it sounds like desperation...if they don't find a way to keep the films alive, then the channel dies.

A lot of the newer generation refuse to watch films that abound in stereotypes. They want woke films.

That's where we are as a society and it will become more pronounced with the next generation. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

To be honest, it sounds like desperation...if they don't find a way to keep the films alive, then the channel dies

That was my first thought,too.  I wonder how TCM is doing overall. They must feel it's a delicate balance between appealing to the loyal viewers and trying to attract  newer, younger viewers.  I just hope they stick around!

8 minutes ago, Peebs said:

That was my first thought,too.  I wonder how TCM is doing overall. They must feel it's a delicate balance between appealing to the loyal viewers and trying to attract  newer, younger viewers.  I just hope they stick around!

After I posted my previous comment, I realized it sounded a bit harsh maybe. But unfortunately, I think a percentage of TCM's original audience has died off. So they do need to court the younger viewers. They are obviously trying to play up the diversity of the hosts, even if they cannot play up diversity in terms of their films' content.

The fact that they want to try to find ways to keep pushing GONE WITH THE WIND is problematic to me. But that's another discussion!

• Like 2

Social criticism should play no part in discussing films of different social norms(decades) in the context of passing of significant passing of time - Whoever is in charge of TCM (Ben...? writers, producers, CNN who knows?)these days have been riding the 'social equality/justice' narrative since the day Robert passed and is doing the network a serious disservice. After years of watching I canceled the channel back in early 2018 and heaven't looked back. I was getting sick and tired of Ben, that Australian, and Ms. Douglas constantly whining about politics and society. It's Turner Classic Movies - Movies being the keyword - Who makes the movie - The filmmakers and Directors - it's their film - their idea - their execution - henceforth why some people like or dislike it. Nothing more to be said

• Like 1