Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, TopBilled said:

Monday June 28, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 12.24.23 PM

Some SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER imagery seemed to foreshadow at least two elements seen later in the silence of the lambs (1991): winged death and cannibalism. 

Monday June 28, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 12.24.48 PM

Gore Vidal relates a humorous anecdote regarding BEN-HUR (1959) in the celluloid closet: Stephen Boyd was instructed to play Messala with amorous intention for the title character, but Charlton Heston was kept in the dark and played the title role obliviously straight as the duo paradoxically created cinematic cohesion.     

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NoShear said:

Gore Vidal relates a humorous anecdote regarding BEN-HUR (1959) in the celluloid closet: Stephen Boyd was instructed to play Messala with amorous intention for the title character, but Charlton Heston was kept in the dark and played the title role obliviously straight as the duo paradoxically created cinematic cohesion.     

Stephen Boyd was bisexual, from my understanding of him. So he probably didn't have a problem with that sort of instruction.

If Heston had been told, it might have made their scenes together unnecessarily self-conscious.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Re: "Stephen Boyd was bisexual, from my understanding of him. So he probably didn't have a problem with that sort of instruction.

If Heston had been told, it might have made their scenes together unnecessarily self-conscious."

I don't recall Gore Vidal mentioning Stephen Boyd's sexual orientation, TopBilled, but your viewpoint on Charlton Heston is spot-on based on Vidal's vantage: William Wyler is said to have actively kept the homosexuality in the proverbial closet where Heston was concerned.

Mind you, TopBilled: I think there's some question as to whether Gore Vidal's story is an accurate portrayal or revisionistic.

• Like 1

Monday June 28, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 12.24.48 PM

"Richie Dagger's Crime" 

Regarding the controversy over how gay men were portrayed in CRUISING, the(n) notorious Hollywood local Darby Crash expressed regret that his Germs had contributed to the 1980 movie's soundtrack, if I correctly recall reading.    

1 minute ago, NoShear said:

"Richie Dagger's Crime" 

Regarding the controversy over how gay men were portrayed in CRUISING, the(n) notorious Hollywood local Darby Crash expressed regret that his Germs had contributed to the 1980 movie's soundtrack, if I correctly recall reading.    

Interesting. I still haven't seen CRUISING.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Re: "Interesting. I still haven't seen CRUISING."

I had forgotten how violent it was until seeing one of its scenes revisited last night in the celluloid closet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, TopBilled said:

Interesting. I still haven't seen CRUISING.

In my opinion it's not a bad film so much as it was a product of it's time. Definitely don't see it being made today.

It's... interesting to say the least. I'd recommend seeing it. I'd like to hear your opinion after watching it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

In my opinion it's not a bad film so much as it was a product of it's time. Definitely don't see it being made today.

It's... interesting to say the least. I'd recommend seeing it. I'd like to hear your opinion after watching it.

I'll try and hunt down a copy of it.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'll try and hunt down a copy of it.

It's currently available on Criterion Channel.   You might be able to play the "free trial period" game if you're able/eligible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

It's currently available on Criterion Channel.   You might be able to play the "free trial period" game if you're able/eligible. 

Thanks. Every year in June, I try to come up with a new LGBTQ related theme for the film reviews that Jlewis and I do in the Essentials thread. This year we did Partners in Crime and covered THE MECHANIC, THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT, THELMA & LOUISE and FRIED GREEN TOMATOES which all had que*er subtexts.

CRUISING seems like it might be a good one to look at and review for next June. I still also want to cover SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS ARE... (1971).

• Like 1
On 7/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday July 2, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 8.00.30 AM

'Harper' contains some spacious scenery of Los Angeles while simultaneously glimpsing at the erosion-in-progress of the once-considered utopian city.

Continuing in tonight's scheduled syndicate crime visitations to West Coast locations, "POINT BLANK" includes some screeching soul by singer Stu Gardner laid down on an  organ riff which was circulating the club circuit back in '67:    

Lloyd Bochner "screen tested" for his second-in-command role by similarly playing an officious crime boss in THe GREEN HORNeT debut the previous year...

With mention of THe GREEN HORNeT in latter day film noir context, this is the only fedora I can relate to:

vlcsnap-2016-04-05-12h01m13s771.png 

With mention of THe GREEN HORNeT and Lloyd Bochner's "screen test", here's Bruce Lee's screen test for his landing punch of the Kato role - it's a fascinating documentation of both Lee's controlled charisma and his speedy espousal of gung-fu:     

• Like 1