Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm enjoying NICHOLS AND MAY--TAKE TWO this early morning. This is the first time I've seen an AMERICAN MASTERS episode on TCM. Have they shown others and I've just missed them?

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'm enjoying NICHOLS AND MAY--TAKE TWO this early morning. This is the first time I've seen an AMERICAN MASTERS episode on TCM. Have they shown others and I've just missed them?

I don't remember any others.

• Thanks 1
On 7/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, TopBilled said:

Tuesday July 6, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 12.52.39 PM

Though relegated to playing a goon in The Cincinnati Kid, Theo Marcuse knew his way around a studio card table, having previously played a card player in both The TWILIGHT ZONE and THE OUTER LIMITS.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              image-original.jpg?1537265800                

• Thanks 1
On 7/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, TopBilled said:

Saturday July 10, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 7.13.09 PM

Although the HELLS ANGELS are not mentioned nor seen in THE GLORY STOMPERS  as far as I could tell, I caught what I consider to be a pair of in-references to the infamous motorcycle club: Robert Tessier's "Magoo" character was a real-life nickname of a prominent ANGEL out of the notorious Oakland clubhouse,  and "San Berdoo", which was an early location and possibly the first chapter of the HELLS ANGELS, is uttered in the '67 flick as well. "Magoo", by the way, was the last ANGEL Hunter S. Thompson interracted with before fleeing and finishing his celebrated Hell's Angels A Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs. The 1966 book has been suggested as the kick-start for the revival of the outlaw biker films seen during the second half of the 1960's.

THE GLORY STOMPERS is strictly 1%, but DEVIL'S ANGELS, yet another 1967 biker flick, opens with a clever reference to both the post-WWII influence on the motorcycle clubs and the HELLS ANGELS specifically. The scene is reminiscent of the Dana Andrews character's salvage in "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946).

• Like 2

I'm glad to see ORCHESTRA WIVES on the schedule as part of the Nicholas Brothers two film salute.

The first time I saw this film, I was expecting a breezy 20th Century Fox musical, but it is actually a really good film which happens to have some great musical numbers (and the Nicholas Brothers' dancing) within it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'm glad to see ORCHESTRA WIVES on the schedule as part of the Nicholas Brothers two film salute.

The first time I saw this film, I was expecting a breezy 20th Century Fox musical, but it is actually a really good film which happens to have some great musical numbers (and the Nicholas Brothers' dancing) within it.

I like how it keeps the music at the forefront but also focuses on the women, not just the men in the band. It's a very enjoyable motion picture.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Monday July 19, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.37.04 AM

To my knowledge, there's some upper body comparison of Caitlyn - then Bruce - Jenner offered between Milos Forman's "THE DECATHLON" segment in Visions of Eight and Games of the XXI Olympiad as Jenner told himself that he'd have to get bigger to beat the elite following his tenth place at Munich if I correctly recall reading. He did, and he did.

Look for Leni: The OLYMPIA FEST DER VOELKER (1938) auteur is seen as a spectator in the '77 documentary on the Montreal Olympics, to my knowledge!