Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's your favorite British director?

TopBilled

My Top 10 would be:

1. Michael Powell

2. Alfred Hitchcock (though he became more of an American)

3. Bryan Forbes

4. Carol Reed

5. Jack Cardiff (also known as a cinematographer)

6. Basil Dearden

7. Laurence Olivier

8. Tony Richardson

9. Ida Lupino (became more of an American)

10. Mike Newell

Honorable mention: Charles Laughton (who officially directed one film)

Ronald Neame has a good filmography so I would say he's in my top 5 list along with Carol Reed and Michael Powell.

Thanks for mentioning him, ahharding. I didn't realize he lived such a long life. He has credits as a cinematographer and producer, as well as for directing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Neame#Selected_filmography

THE MAGIC BOX is wonderful. And I would say another Neame classic I like is THE MILLION POUND NOTE, with Gregory Peck.

I had started listing some of his films that I like which he was cinematographer or director on but there are so many that I stopped.

1. Blithe Spirit

2. Major Barbara

3. Brief Encounter

4. Tunes of Glory

He accomplished a lot to his credit. Maybe TCM will spotlight him Fridays sometime when the notion hits them on how much he achieved.  

I had started listing some of his films that I like which he was cinematographer or director on but there are so many that I stopped.

1. Blithe Spirit

2. Major Barbara

3. Brief Encounter

4. Tunes of Glory

He accomplished a lot to his credit. Maybe TCM will spotlight him Fridays sometime when the notion hits them on how much he achieved.  

Yes, those are good films. Again, I appreciate your mentioning Neame in this thread.

1. Blithe Spirit

2. Major Barbara

3. Brief Encounter

4. Tunes of Glory

Brief Encounter was directed by David Lean, who has not been mentioned.  Btw, if we say Hitchcock became more of an American, I think maybe we can say Stanley Kubrick became more of a Brit.  My favorite British director still working is Terence Davies. My favorite Davies film is The Long Day Closes, a film which is more about the love of movies than any other movie I know. Here's the trailer:

Brief Encounter was directed by David Lean, who has not been mentioned.  

Thanks for mentioning David Lean. Many great films by him-- perhaps my favorites are the ones he did with Ann Todd, like THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS and MADELEINE (which I love).

• 5 weeks later...

Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger & David Lean & Alfred Hitchcock

Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger - The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, I Know Where I'm Going (Wendy Hiller & Roger Livesey), Stairway to Heaven

David Lean - Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Madeleine, Hobson's Choice, The Passionate Friends, This Happy Breed, In Which We Serve, Summertime

Alfred Hitchcock - Sabotage, The Man Who Knew Too Much (original), The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Young And Innocent, Number Seventeen, Murder, Secret Agent, Jamaica Inn - made in Britain before he came to Hollywood to direct Rebecca.

Y'know, Marsha, you CAN use a larger font.

And probably just the NAME of the director would have sufficed.  Most of us are quite familiar with many of their filmographies, unless you feel you've posted the name of a British director that's SO obscure that even the names of the movies wouldn't be well known either!

I was also a bit amused that you put "the original" in parenthesis' when posting "The Man Who Knew Too Much".  As both original and "remake" were both directed by Hitch, and BOTH were vey well done.  But personally, I don't prefer one over the other.  I'm also unaware of how many OTHER directors, British or not, have ALSO directed their own "remakes".

And, welcome to the boards, Marshakatz

Sepiatone

Brief Encounter was directed by David Lean, who has not been mentioned.  Btw, if we say Hitchcock became more of an American, I think maybe we can say Stanley Kubrick became more of a Brit.  My favorite British director still working is Terence Davies. My favorite Davies film is The Long Day Closes, a film which is more about the love of movies than any other movie I know. Here's the trailer:

I was listing films that he was cinematographer and writer on too. Sorry for the confusion. But thanks for mentioning David Lean also. He was very good and Lean and Neame work together many times. In fact I'm sure Neame would say that he learned much from Lean.