Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

B.B. King (1925-2015)

Blues great B.B. King has died in Las Vegas at the age of 89. The Mississippi-born singer-guitarist earned 15 Grammy Awards during his career and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32747861

King performed several songs in director John Landis' offbeat 1988 comedy/drama "Into the Night," which starred Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer and featured cameo appearances by several filmmakers.

There was a picture of him floating around on Facebook about 3 weeks ago & he looked bad. He was in hospice care then.

I was in Las Vegas about 20 years ago & he got our of a limo just as I was pulling up to the curbin a taxi. I got out as soon as I could to try to catch up to him but I guess he was whisked away to a VIP lounge so I didn't get to meet him darn it. He was a great artist.

As a guitarist, AND a blues player and enthusiast, I loved B.B.

He wasn't a technical giant, like Pat Metheny or John McLaughlin, but, in his way, B.B. was able to SAY more in FIVE NOTES than those others could in FIFTY!

Back in the late '80's, my older daughter's then boyfriend worked as an equipment handler for a music store that supplied equipment for Detroit's Chene ampitheater, and B.B. was playing a date there one night, and the kid got me his autograph.  I put it in a frame and it's been hanging on a wall in every place I've lived since then.

When I woke up this morning, it was(and still IS, as I type this) raining, grey and drab.  It seems as if the ANGELS are crying.

Sepiatone

I'm feeling a bit numb right now.  I'll never forget being a little girl, seeing this man on television and being fascinated that he named his guitar like I named my little plush friends.  Then I saw him on "The Cosby Show", and I was hooked.  He used his guitar like most people wished they could use their voices, and his singing had a level of depth that always rang true.  He WAS the blues for so many of us, and I know he's going to be missed.

I don't see how he has much to do with classic film. I'm a B.B. King fan, and when I was not a vegetarian, I would eat at one of his steak restaurants at Universal City. But I don't think most people associate him with movies, do they?

I'm feeling a bit numb right now.  I'll never forget being a little girl, seeing this man on television and being fascinated that he named his guitar like I named my little plush friends.  Then I saw him on "The Cosby Show", and I was hooked.  He used his guitar like most people wished they could use their voices, and his singing had a level of depth that always rang true.  He WAS the blues for so many of us, and I know he's going to be missed.

He also played piano, but we never saw any of that.

I wonder how many people became Blues fans(if only even casual) after hearing B.B. King's beautifully orchestrated crossover hit of "The Thrill is Gone"?

I would guess millions.

(...RIP, Mr. King)

King was the subject of the recent British documentary "B.B. King: The Life of Riley" (the title refers to his real first name). The film was produced and directed by Jon Brewer and narrated by Morgan Freeman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkpNbbgyx_Y

He wasn't a technical giant, like Pat Metheny or John McLaughlin, but, in his way, B.B. was able to SAY more in FIVE NOTES than those others could in FIFTY!

It's said about all great musicians when they die, but he truly had a sound all his own.  You know him when you hear him.  He was a most influential, perhaps the most influential blues artist.  You can hear it in any number of rock guitarists from the sixties on.  I'm sad, but I'm also grateful he had such a long life.

He himself had little presence in film, or TV, most notably, I guess, in The Blues Brothers.  But the blues he and others played is where all modern music comes from, and no one can overestimate the importance of that in film.