Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

satellite in the sky

NipkowDisc

doan think I ever saw this until yesterday on tcm. it starts out kinda like a british version of beirne lay and mervyn leroy's 'torward the unknown' that came out the same year but all too quickly descends into lame science-fiction. sorry, but lois maxwell just wasn't all that hot. trooper kieron moore does what he can and donald wolfit is just properly stuffy in a british way. even the spaceship called stardust looked good...intil it launched. the silly looking special effects don't rate cinemascope and it's a shame that the filmmakers couldn't have gotten a loan from george pal of some of his special effects people. the smoke from the rocket exhaust is just laughable. save that kinda crap for toho. :lol: still, the film is an interesting curio from 1956.

I'll bet wally veevers was real proud of this one.

23mvn7q.jpg

I almost didn't record it, but after reading a few reviews online I figured what the heck. And boy, was I glad I did. It's very well scripted (and performed). The characters question the goals of a space program and how much of a country's resources should be devoted to it. 

The special effects were fairly primitive but probably better than what else was being done at the time. 

doan think I ever saw this until yesterday on tcm. it starts out kinda like a british version of beirne lay and mervyn leroy's 'torward the unknown' that came out the same year but all too quickly descends into lame science-fiction. sorry, but lois maxwell just wasn't all that hot. trooper kieron moore does what he can and donald wolfit is just properly stuffy in a british way. even the spaceship called stardust looked good...intil it launched. the silly looking special effects don't rate cinemascope and it's a shame that the filmmakers couldn't have gotten a loan from george pal of some of his special effects people. the smoke from the rocket exhaust is just laughable. save that kinda crap for toho. :lol: still, the film is an interesting curio from 1956.

I'll bet wally veevers was real proud of this one.

Oh no! You're throwing away thirty years of my childhood!

:P

image.jpg

I almost didn't record it, but after reading a few reviews online I figured what the heck. And boy, was I glad I did. It's very well scripted (and performed). The characters question the goals of a space program and how much of a country's resources should be devoted to it. 

The special effects were fairly primitive but probably better than what else was being done at the time. 

yeah, I did rather like it. wasn't a bad film at all. kinda surprised I hadn't seen it before.

yeah, I did rather like it. wasn't a bad film at all. kinda surprised I hadn't seen it before.

I don't think it did well upon its original release. And it has been hard to come by ever since...so thank goodness for TCM playing it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings