Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

Your Movie Bucket List

I'm still hoping to catch up with Josef von Sternberg's 1929 Thunderbolt some day.   It stars George Bancroft and Canadian, Fay Wray.

I can't find it on dvd and being a Paramount film, who knows if it will be on TCM anytime soon.

I'm still hoping to catch up with Josef von Sternberg's 1929 Thunderbolt some day.   It stars George Bancroft and Canadian, Fay Wray.

I never knew Fay Wray was Canadian.

I agree that would be a great evening on TCM.

I was diasppointed that I missed FIRST A GIRL when it last aired on TCM.

I watched "First A Girl" about a year ago on You Tube.

King of Alcatraz (1938) a Paramount film directed by Robert Florey.  Cast includes Lloyd Nolan, Robert Preston, Gail Patrick, J. Carrol Naish, Anthony Quinn, Harry Carey, Dennis Morgan and Konstantin Shayne.

J. Carrol Naish is supposed to be a stand out in this one.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I've never seen KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN but I want to.

I've heard that originally William Hurt and Raul Julia were originally cast in the opposite roles but the parts were switched before production began.

I think it was William Hurt who pushed for this change.

I've never seen KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN but I want to.

I've heard that originally William Hurt and Raul Julia were originally cast in the opposite roles but the parts were switched before production began.

I think it was William Hurt who pushed for this change.

He's brilliant if he did.

The Trunks of Mr. O.F. (1931) with Peter Lorre.  Another German Lorre film made about the same time as M.  Hedy Lamarr has a part in it too.

Not really a bucket list item, but something I'd like to see:

Eg9Clib.jpg

This was made for TV in 1979, and some Titanic aficionados consider it the second-best dramatization of the event (after 1958's A Night To Remember). David Janssen (in one of his final roles) plays John Jacob Astor IV and Cloris Leachman is the Unsinkable Molly Brown. Like the later Leo epic, this one also features a made-up love story, between real-life passenger Lawrence Beesley (David Warner) and fictional schoolteacher Susan Saint James.

Unfortunately, only a butchered version (cut from 144 minutes down to 109 -- or even less in some versions) is easily available now. I'm holding out on watching it until I can find the full, original cut.

ruhpfv4.png

qAcoojE.jpg

W5Xtle7.jpg

That picture looks like an Australian DVD of "S.O.S. TITANIC".  I've got a passel of Aussie VHS tapes with rental stickers all over them and the 'rating' on the front of the disc art and the triangular 'DRAMA' sticker at the top make it look very much like an Oz release. 

Australian video stores really liked putting stickers on everything!  I figure I've got about 100 Aussie tapes and 75% of them have that kind of triangle sticker stuck somewhere on the box art. 

The 1990 LM Video Guide has the run time of "S.O.S. TITANIC" at 105m.  and the 1990-91 Steven H. Scheuer Video Guide lists the run time at 160m.  :unsure:

► I wonder if this TVM was released theatrically in other countries with a longer run time?  Some American Tv films received theatrical releases in the UK and/or Australia.  I'm pretty sure the 1976 U.S. TV movie MAYDAY AT 40,000 FEET (also starring D. Janssen) was released to theaters in Australia.  There's a scene on the Warner Australian VHS release which has Maggie Blye topless and I can't imagine that scene making it on the U.S. television screens in '76. 

The Trunks of Mr. O.F. (1931) with Peter Lorre.  Another German Lorre film made about the same time as M.  Hedy Lamarr has a part in it too.

Does Hedy do any swimming?  

Does Hedy do any swimming?  

If I ever do see it before the big one, I'll let you know.

Here are two more that I haven't been able to find or catch up with as yet:

The Devil's Holiday (1930) directed by Edmund Goulding.  It features Nancy Carroll's Oscar nominated performance.  It's a Paramount film.

and

The White Parade (1934) directed by Irving Cummings.  With Loretta Young and John Boles.  It's a Fox film that was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.

• Like 1

Holy crap is my list long. Started off with around 1,000 films. I keep hacking away at it,but I don't think I'll ever finish it.

That's what reincarnation is for, though if you came back as a housefly you might not even last through Berlin Alexanderplatz, let alone the other 999.

• Like 1

That's what reincarnation is for, though if you came back as a housefly you might not even last through Berlin Alexanderplatz, let alone the other 999.

There has to be reincarnation.   My actual list of films that I want to see is well over a thousand, if not two.  And I like to watch the same films again and again too

I've kept a diary of films seen for 47 years and am only at around 12,000 or so.  So looking at my slide rule I see that time is running out!

Bogie56:  You had asked me about what could make a 1970s-era movie become a "lost" film and the way I think about it is this:  Where do the film prints go of those low-budget drive-in-type movies once they finish their theatrical runs?  These 'small', independent movies probably don't have the prints sent back to a major studio.  Maybe they get sent to a Tv station as part of a "package"?  Maybe the film prints end up in the producer's basement or a humid warehouse?  I just don't know.  Some movies just disappear from sight and aren't seen again.  I reckon there's no guarantee the original negatives of major studio films are always well taken care of, either.  When Universal set out to restore 'JAWS' for it's 2012 Blu-Ray release Spielberg himself said the negative was in "pretty crummy, pretty bad" condition.  And that's for a very famous, well-known movie.  ► Seems like it's just a crapshoot as to what survives long enough to be shown again or released on video or DVD or Blu-Ray.  I don't think I'll ever get to see ARNOLD'S WRECKING CO. (1973) or MOMENTS (1974-UK).  I dig those low-budget "B" movies from the late '60s through the late '70s.  I buy them on video when I can find 'em.  Anyway, even if a film print for a movie like "Arnold's Wrecking Co." is found it could have that 'vinegar syndrome' problem rendering it un-useable.  Something Weird Video used to be very good at ferreting out long-forgotten obscurities and I bought a number of movies from them.  About 30.  I'd have bought more if I could have! 

I have been able to watch some movies that were previously on my 'Bucket List'; some of them are now on DVD and easily available but were not at the time I was seeking them out.  The 1969 moonshine movie "The Devil's 8" is one such movie.  I found a Greek VHS release of it and snagged it.  Then I found another one and snagged it, too.  But it's now on DVD in the U.S. so it's not hard to find anymore.  Still have my Greek tapes, tho!  

Here are a few movies that were once on my 'Bucket List' which I have now seen:

GOODBYE, FRANKLIN HIGH (1978)

SUNSET COVE (1978)

LOVE MINUS ONE (1971)

HAUNTING OF M, The (1981)

LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS (1969-British comedy)

SPRING AND PORT WINE (1970-British comedy/drama)

ROAD HUSTLERS, The (1968)

DIMENSION 5 (1966)

DEEP END (1970-UK) (This could be out on DVD now?)

FIRECHASERS, The (1970-UK)

CRY FOR THE STRANGERS (1982-Tvm)

Couple more movies on my 'Bucket List':

IRISH WHISKEY REBELLION (1972) C-93m.

LADY IN THE CAR WITH GLASSES AND A GUN, The (1970-French) C-105m.

I will keep looking for obscurities that perk my interest as long as I have breath!

The White Parade (1934) directed by Irving Cummings.  With Loretta Young and John Boles.  It's a Fox film that was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.

The only surviving print is at the UCLA Film Archive. It can be screened by appointment.

If you're trying to see every Best Pic nominee, East Lynne (1931) has only one known extant print (again at UCLA), though according to Wikipedia " somehow, bootleg DVD copies exist, minus the final scene." However, no print of Lubitsch's The Patriot (1928) is known to exist. The trailer can be viewed on YouTube:

I just rewatched this. Lewis Stone is hyped as possessing "Polished Acting Genius", while Neil Hamilton is described as merely "handsome and popular" lol

The only surviving print is at the UCLA Film Archive. It can be screened by appointment.

If you're trying to see every Best Pic nominee, East Lynne (1931) has only one known extant print (again at UCLA), though according to Wikipedia " somehow, bootleg DVD copies exist, minus the final scene." However, no print of Lubitsch's The Patriot (1928) is known to exist. The trailer can be viewed on YouTube:

I just rewatched this. Lewis Stone is hyped as possessing "Polished Acting Genius", while Neil Hamilton is described as merely "handsome and popular" lol

It would be nice if UCLA would digitize these films for their libraries.

• Like 2

Probably any number of films would apply but none of them seem to come to mind. I have had a strange, out-of-the-blue, other-worldly, an obsession of sorts, no let's call it an uncontrollable desire to see a movie with an actor by the name of Tor Johnson in it. Where this came from is completely unknown to me since I am hardly aware of such a person but I'm sure he exists because when these feelings come over me it always has a germ of truth to it. And so, if there is someone who has a name as weird as that, I would appreciate a recommendation. Anyone? (Deadly serious, I would like to know what the best movie to start with, assuming that he exists and someone just didn't make him up.) Thanks.

Probably any number of films would apply but none of them seem to come to mind. I have had a strange, out-of-the-blue, other-worldly, an obsession of sorts, no let's call it an uncontrollable desire to see a movie with an actor by the name of Tor Johnson in it. Where this came from is completely unknown to me since I am hardly aware of such a person but I'm sure he exists because when these feelings come over me it always has a germ of truth to it. And so, if there is someone who has a name as weird as that, I would appreciate a recommendation. Anyone? (Deadly serious, I would like to know what the best movie to start with, assuming that he exists and someone just didn't make him up.) Thanks.

Wow.  Tor Johnson has made it into the Bucket List thread.  Hallelujah!

Maybe you should start at the beginning with Registered Night Nurse (1934).  I could start there too.  I had no idea his illustrious career stretched that far back.  When I first read about Tor in that film in another thread I thought they were just joking.

I don't think Tor has the title role in that film though.  That would have been interesting casting.

I am curious to see at least one, if not a few of Leopoldo Torre Nilsson's films.  He was an Argentinian filmmaker who had some International acclaim in the 1960's.

I have been unable to locate dvd copies of any of his films.

These are perhaps his better known works :

The House of the Angel (1957)

The Fall (1959)

The Hand In the Trap (1961)

Summerskin (1961)

Thanks Richard,

Just watched the trailer for The Patriot.  It featured "special sound effects" no less.  I guess we could go on and on about the loss of these films.

It didn't take them very long to lose all existing copies of these films, did it.  Ernst Lubitsch and Emil Jannings no less.

• Like 1