Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Colorizing Affirmed

NipkowDisc

the new I Love Lucy Superstar Special on CBS last nite. two classic episodes newly colorized. 

L.A. at Last where Lucy introduces herself to William Holden at The Brown Derby followed by the episode with George Reeves as Superman, both beautifully colorized.

Looks like I be not the only one still believing in colorizing.

:D

the new I Love Lucy Superstar Special on CBS last nite. two classic episodes newly colorized. 
L.A. at Last where Lucy introduces herself to William Holden at The Brown Derby followed by the episode with George Reeves as Superman, both beautifully colorized.

Yeah, the colorized  I LOVE LUCY Christmas show has aired on CBS as well.

I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, it's introducing I LOVE LUCY to people who might not watch anything in black-and-white.

Ulltimately my preference is for the original black-and-white since that's way the show was filmed.

I've been watching the colorized I Love Lucy episodes out of curiosity, but I still prefer the black and white versions that are on my DVDs. Also, not to nitpick, but last night's airing of "LA at Last!" had dialogue from the Brown Derby scene missing and there was a brief scene missing from the part when Ricky tells Lucy that William Holden is in their living room.

I've been watching the colorized I Love Lucy episodes out of curiosity, but I still prefer the black and white versions that are on my DVDs. Also, not to nitpick, but last night's airing of "LA at Last!" had dialogue from the Brown Derby scene missing and there was a brief scene missing from the part when Ricky tells Lucy that William Holden is in their living room.

Yes, in addition to colorizing the episodes, they are being cut to allow for more commercials.

As time goes on, colorizing will probably become more acceptable to the younger public to a point where that may be the only commercially viable way to show films. The colorizing  process is certainly much better, more accurate today. My hope is that the films will always be available in their original form, I believe some people will still value them that way.    

What many people dislike about colorizing, Nip, is that it isn't honest.

Insomuch as colorized movies aren't representative of what was originally presented.

You may use the arguement that color film wasn't available when some certain movie was shot, and THAT'S true, but from a historical view, colorized movies aren't a true representation.

As it would be the same if we "colorized" old Civil War photos.

Worse yet, (shudder) if we were to "colorize" the Ansel Adams catalouge!  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Hmmmm...."Colorizing Affirmed" ya say, ND?!

Well, okay. I suppose if that's what ya want, I can do that for ya here...

First...image.jpg

...and now...

affirmed.1.jpg

(...sooooo...happy NOW, dude?!)

;)

Insomuch as colorized movies aren't representative of what was originally presented.

You may use the arguement that color film wasn't available when some certain movie was shot, and THAT'S true, but from a historical view, colorized movies aren't a true representation.

Worse yet, (shudder) if we were to "colorize" the Ansel Adams catalouge!  :wacko:

Sepiatone

but if colorizing enhances the enjoyment of old stuff like I Love Lucy, maybe it should be pursued instead of written off.

why then did CBS see fit to colorize these classic episodes? some years ago paramount enhanced the original star trek series with new special effects. nobody has objected to that. is it really wrong to enhance something by colorizing to increase people's enjoyment?  I CHALLENGE tcm to show the colorized prints of Bogey's Chain Lightning and Cary and Myrna's Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and then we'll see. let tcm advertise these presentations. they know people will watch.

but if colorizing enhances the enjoyment of old stuff like I Love Lucy, maybe it should be pursued instead of written off.

why then did CBS see fit to colorize these classic episodes? some years ago paramount enhanced the original star trek series with new special effects. nobody has objected to that. is it really wrong to enhance something by colorizing to increase people's enjoyment?  I CHALLENGE tcm to show the colorized prints of Bogey's Chain Lightning and Cary and Myrna's Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and then we'll see. let tcm advertise these presentations. they know people will watch.

I prefer that TCM NOT show colorized versions.      Of course it isn't wrong for someone that has the legal right to alter a film or TV show for them to do so.    Colorizing doesn't enhance my enjoyment.        But I do agree that the market place should decide.  

I believe that Affirmed, like most racehorses, was brown.

I suppose Jake Holman, who seems into all that, could probably CONfirm that for ya, DGF.

Me?! Well, I'm always too busy buying racing breeder guides from some guy selling tootsie-fruitsie ice cream at the betting windows to ever make it out there to the racetrack to actually see if you're right!...

How about Hot Spell?

How about Hot Spell?

Oooooh, don't go THERE, Bogie!

(...once ND would see Shirley Booth in glorious color, there's no tellin' how excited and aroused he could become, ya know!)

Hazel episodes then

Now, will you PLEASE stop tryin' to get the poor man all hot and bothered with such talk, Bogie?!

I mean c'mon here, dude...even I can sometimes so overboard after watching too much of Ava, ya know.

(...in color OR B&W)

Sepiatone

and I would contend that colorizing improves the overall quality of the picture and makes it easier to see and that is why silents are tinted. :)

while most posters disagree with me on this it is also true that tcm forum posters do not constitute the opinions of the vast majority of cable viewers in the u.s. and Canada.

I contend that most American and Canadian viewers would agree with me on this issue.

let tcm promote a one-nite airing of colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning and let us see the public's reaction. :)

I saw the Superman show, and it looked like real color film. I guess the process has improved over the years.

Of course some channels I know of have decided to cut back on showing old black and white films and they show more modern 1960s-80 color films.

Ted Turner's idea was pretty clever. Color for all the young viewers, and he always said we older viewers could just turn our color off on our TV sets, and we would be able to see our original old films in B&W. Now we don't get to see many of those old classics anymore because of all the 1960s-80s color films that have taken their place.

I also have mixed opinions about this. I don't think things should be colorized just for the sake of colorizing everything (because we have the technology to do so, then why not use it). To me, colorizing or black-and-whiting (my phrase) should be an artistic decision, not a commercial one. 

For instance, I think JEZEBEL should be colorized, because the script makes such a big deal about her wearing a shocking red dress to the cotillion ball, and in black-and-white we do not get the same effect the characters in the scene get when she walks into the room. So that is one film that should have been photographed in color to begin with, and colorizing it would help.

But to colorize DARK VICTORY (which Turner did) was/is unnecessary. Nothing artistically can be gained by having her world depicted in color. Unless it is the artistic decision to have it in color when she had perfect sight, then as her vision deteriorates and she becomes increasingly sick, for it all to go splotchy and grey, or black-and-white, then mostly dark. But Turner did not do that. it became BRIGHT AND COLORFUL VICTORY instead of DARK VICTORY.

Again, I feel colorizing should match what the artists (writers, directors, actors) were trying to accomplish with the story.

and I would contend that colorizing improves the overall quality of the picture and makes it easier to see and that is why silents are tinted. :)

while most posters disagree with me on this it is also true that tcm forum posters do not constitute the opinions of the vast majority of cable viewers in the u.s. and Canada.

I contend that most American and Canadian viewers would agree with me on this issue.

let tcm promote a one-nite airing of colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning and let us see the public's reaction. :)

Are you referring to the SAME public that both re-elected GW Bush and spent $40 million on PET ROCKS?

Yeah, let's get THAT opinion!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings