Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone enrolling in the free online film noir course TCM is advertising?

TopBilled

It's too bad they didn't have an online course for the roadshow musicals...

I see the moderator has made a new area for this in the TCM programs area:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53190-summer-of-darkness-investigating-film-noir/

I received an e-mail about this.   Still haven't decided if I'll take it or not but it is a great offer. 

In an on-line course, it would be easier to cheat on the final exam than in an in-person course. Maybe I will.

LOL...

I was going to enroll in it, just for fun-- but I may be moving the end of June and this is a two-month course. If papers are due, I may not have time to do them.

That's why I hope those that do enroll tell us what the work requirements are and what the professor is like, in case it is offered again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am enrolled and the course is entirely flexible. It is up to you how much you want to engage with it.

Now to get a certificate you have to complete the quizzes and the final exam (no papers just quizzes but not sure if ther will be essays on the quizzes)

However you can sign up for the course just to learn and not take the quizzes. You won't be penalized you just won't get the certificate.

From what I've seen (based on the syllabus) the course includes the following:

* Weekly Video Lecture about Film Noir

* Weekly Audio Podcast discussing a certain film

* 4 days of short film clips

* The course encourages participation on this board and/or Twitter to talk about the clips, films, & course.

I work full time but this doesn't seem too labour intensive. Maybe because it is a fun subject to me.

• Like 1

I am enrolled and the course is entirely flexible. It is up to you how much you want to engage with it.

Now to get a certificate you have to complete the quizzes and the final exam (no papers just quizzes but not sure if ther will be essays on the quizzes)

However you can sign up for the course just to learn and not take the quizzes. You won't be penalized you just won't get the certificate.

* The course encourages participation on this board and/or Twitter to talk about the clips, films, & course.

I work full time but this doesn't seem too labour intensive. Maybe because it is a fun subject to me.

Appreciate the explanation. Some questions:

Who does the weekly lecture? Does the podcast feature any special guests, or just the course instructor?

Are the clips only movies airing on TCM in June & July-- or do they include other outside films?

• Like 1

Sounds interesting.

Appreciate the explanation. Some questions:

Who does the weekly lecture? Does the podcast feature any special guests, or just the course instructor?

Are the clips only movies airing on TCM in June & July-- or do they include other outside films?

So far the clips are just from films being shown on TCM. This week the clips are focusing on openings.

The weekly lectures and podcasts are actually starting next week but I think the podcasts may be taken from Out of the Past: Investigating Film Noir podcast.

• Like 2

So far the clips age just from films being shown on TCM. This week the clips are focusing on openings.

The weekly lectures and podcasts age actually starting next week but I think the podcasts may be taken from Out of the Past: Investigating Film Noir podcast.

Thanks Kinokima for the update(s). Please continue to keep us informed. It sounds fun.

I was going to join you guys, but I am moving at the end of the month, and I figured if there were papers to write, I wouldn't have time to devote to it.

Thanks Kinokima for the update(s). Please continue to keep us informed. It sounds fun.

I was going to join you guys, but I am moving at the end of the month, and I figured if there were papers to write, I wouldn't have time to devote to it.

I may give it a try, but I'm no longer adept at tests.

So I'll just do it for fun.

At any rate, the Friday lineups are the stuff that (classically classic) dreams are made of.

I may give it a try, but I'm no longer adept at tests.

So I'll just do it for fun.

At any rate, the Friday lineups are the stuff that (classically classic) dreams are made of.

Yeah, I thought they were writing papers-- but it seems like they are just posting comments, and then taking quizzes/tests (so that does not seem too bad). And they get college credits for it. Good deal!

Yeah, I thought they were writing papers-- but it seems like they are just posting comments, and then taking quizzes/tests (so that does not seem too bad). And they get college credits for it. Good deal!

Note there is no college credit for the course. You get a certificate but you can't use it towards credits to complete a degree (that is usuaully how it works with free courses).

Also I imagine there are tests no papers because there is no limit to how many people can take the course. Tests can be graded automatically not papers.

Also you are not being graded for participation on message boards/twitter, etc. Again there is no real way to keep track of that. It is just for your benefit to engage with other film fans.

• Like 1

Note there is no college credit for the course. You get a certificate but you can't use it towards credits to complete a degree (that is usuaully how it works with free courses).

Also I imagine there are tests no papers because there is no limit to how many people can take the course. Tests can be graded automatically not papers.

Also you are not being graded for participation on message boards/twitter, etc. Again there is no real way to keep track of that. It is just for your benefit to engage with other film fans.

Thanks for clarifying some of that Kinokima. Now I guess we know how it works. I'm sure some of the message board participation is leading to new friendships!

Quite an effort. 

They are making great efforts in the Summer of Darkness forum. Some of their discussions are so engaging that you cannot help but want to read the latest items they're posting. I particularly liked a thread someone made about Richard Widmark. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings