Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Benton movies

HoldenIsHere

Today (05/19/15) TCM is airing a tribute to Robert Benton in the prime time and overnight hours.

The tribute starts with Arthur Penn's BONNIE AND CLYDE for which David Newman and Robert Benton wrote the screenplay. 

This movie is followed by Benton's KRAMER VS. KRAMER, featuring the performance that earned Meryl Streep her first Academy Award.

THE LATE SHOW and STILL OF THE NIGHT are airing in the early morning hours.

Originally the last movie scheduled to air as part of the tribute was PLACES IN THE HEART, starring TCM's current Essentials co-host Sally Field.

This movie has been replaced by NADINE featuring, in the title role, Kim Basinger, the ex-wife of former Essentials co-host Alec Baldwin.

So you've not seen 'THE LATE SHOW' before, TB?  I like it quite a bit.  One thing I'd like to add -- and it's not really a complaint as much as it is an inevitability -- is that it's too bad "The Late Show" has to be aired via a digital copy.  I've seen 'The Late Show' several times (more than 5) and I've always watched it via a 1980s release VHS tape.  It's just a straight transfer from a film print with whatever kind of transfer equipment Warner Home Video was using at the time so you see some film grain and nothing has been cleaned up -or- brightened up.  This is the kind of movie that, to me, is better viewed *complete* with film grain and the occasional VHS line-through-the-screen that adds to the lower-middle-class 'vibe' of the picture.   

I think Eugene Roche should've been nominated for Best Supporting Actor.     

How interesting that TCM will air "The Late Show" at the same time that CBS presents the last regular edition of "The Late Show with David Letterman." Dave signs off for good 24 hours later with a special farewell presentation.

How interesting that TCM will air "The Late Show" at the same time that CBS presents the last regular edition of "The Late Show with David Letterman." Dave signs off for good 24 hours later with a special farewell presentation.

Coincidence or . . . ? 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings