Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gary Oldman

Kid Dabb

I didn't want to derail Bogie's new PSH thread,

so I figured I'd start this one on my favorite contemporary actor.

This guy is a chameleon when it comes to roles in film. He can play any type or style; any look from any period. Straight or comedic.

Anyone else like this guy?

This guy is a chameleon when it comes to roles in film. He can play any type or style; any look from any period. Straight or comedic.

Oldman is a versatile actor but most of the roles I have seen has him playing very eccentric characters (which he is very good at).

• Like 1

Yup

though I feel here a Johnny Depp vibe too ;)

or is it the other-way around?

He's not as eccentric as Depp, IMO. You can see Depp acting, which isn't a bad thing, really. Just his style. Oldman tends to give more personality with his portrayals.

I know he's done films before IMMORTAL BELOVED, but it was the first one in which I took notice of him.

Been a fan ever since.

Didn't however, care for his DRACULA.  His performance was great, but some of the MAKE-UP jobs they did on him were just too stupid.

Sepiatone

Probably the best  actor around today. i have seen most of his movies- will not see Lost in space-though. A must to see is   his own movie titled, Nil by Mouth',i saw it many years ago,he directed it,Quite absorbing and excellent.,a tough movie.

I've seen him in a handful of movies, including The Fifth Element and Leon The Professional (recently aired on another network).  That movie also had a couple of the other actors from Fifth Element.  Same director.

Definitely like him as an actor.

In Fifth Element and Leon The Professional, it sounds to my ears as if he is speaking with a combination of a light British accent and maybe a light Southern US accent (but no drawl).  All I know is that was the first time I ever saw him act, and it made him all the more mysterious.  I wonder if he and Hugh Laurie know each other.

I first took notice of Gary Oldman in 1993 and after seeing the neo-Noir "Romeo is Bleeding". A very good film with enough twists and turns for four movies. Oldman is excellent as a cop on the take and who becomes involved in events that spin wildly out of his control.

(...and Lena Olin's performance might possibly place her near the top of any list of the best femme fatales in the history of cinema)

• Like 1

I certainly have some catching up to do on his films as I've only seen a handful. I, too, thought his Dracula (at home with that overly sculpted hair) was just a little over the top, but I went with it and, actually, have gotten used to it. I mean.. we all go for Dracula as a character anyway, right? In for a penny, in for a pound.

Also, his role in The Fifth Element is the first one I saw him in. He seems to be playing comedy as the straight man - very well done, IMO. His character thinks outloud, almost as if addressing us without the eye contact.

And, MovieCollector.. I know what you mean about his accent with no drawl - very distinctive; very effective.

What stirred my current interest in him was his appearance in a recent TCM AMC interstitial on Mad Men - he looks quite like an earlier version of Eric Clapton.

Now, I can't say whether Hugh Laurie and Gary Oldman are associated,

but Mr. Laurie and Tom jones.. well..

Amended 5-20-15 7:51 PM

For years, he and Christopher Plummer were arguably the most notable active stars who had never received Academy Award nominations. Then Plummer received Best Supporting Actor recognition for his portrayal of Count Leo Tolstoy in "The Last Station" (2009). Two years later, he won in that category for "Beginners."

Oldman finally received a nomination for his performance as George Smiley in the 2011 film version of John le Carré's "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy." Since Oldman is almost 30 years younger than Plummer, there's hope that he'll have many other chances to win an Oscar, too.

I've always admired his performance in "The Contender" (2000) as the Republican head of the House Judiciary Committee. In the film, his character steadfastly opposes a Democratic president's nomination of a woman (Joan Allen) to serve as the new vice president. Allen was nominated for Best Actress. Jeff Bridges, who played the Bill Clinton-like president, received a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

Yep

For years, he and Christopher Plummer were arguably the most notable active stars who had never received Academy Award nominations. Then Plummer received Best Supporting Actor recognition for his portrayal of Count Leo Tolstoy in "The Last Station" (2009). Two years later, he won in that category for "Beginners."

Oldman finally received a nomination for his performance as George Smiley in the 2011 film version of John le Carré's "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy." Since Oldman is almost 30 years younger than Plummer, there's hope that he'll have many other chances to win an Oscar, too.

I've always admired his performance in "The Contender" (2000) as the Republican head of the House Judiciary Committee. In the film, his character steadfastly opposes a Democratic president's nomination of a woman (Joan Allen) to serve as the new vice president. Allen was nominated for Best Actress. Jeff Bridges, who played the Bill Clinton-like president, received a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

Oldman finally received a nomination for his performance as George Smiley in the 2011 film version of John le Carré's "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy." 

Outstanding film. The ending is particularly good.

Gary is an excellent character actor.

Although the Guinness Book of World Records has named Samuel L. Jackson the highest-grossing actor in the history of movies (his pictures are nearing the $10 billion level worldwide), Oldman has been in the running for the title. He's starred in several noteworthy tentpole projects, including the "Dark Knight" trilogy, the "Harry Potter" series and the latest reboot of the "Planet of the Apes" saga.

Of course, even he couldn't save the recent flop "Child 44":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMPfoopDXw8

Gary Oldman locked and loaded in "The Fifth Element".

Zorg.gif

Born on March 21st along with the best people.

Sid and Nancy as Sid Vicious is the role that grabbed me.  He was great in that one as was Chloe Webb as Nancy Spungen.

I love the scene where Spungen is in the phone booth speaking to her Grandma trying to borrow money or something and she says quite frankly, "Oh, f k off Grandma."

Stephen Frears' Prick Up Your Ears where he plays Joe Orton is a pretty good film too.  Alfred Molina steals it though as his crazy lover Kenneth Halliwell.

I love Gary Oldman. Great actor. My reason for especially being so fond of him is not so much movie related.I've been so impressed with him especially in the last month. AMC promoted MAD MEN for quite awhile over the last month. Gary Oldman was asked for his impressions. It was as if he took the words out of my mouth and said them. He expressed my sentiments exactly for the best tv show EVER on tv as far as I'm concerned. Since he concurred with my thoughts, I think he's brilliant LOL :D

Stephen Frears' Prick Up Your Ears where he plays Joe Orton is a pretty good film too.  Alfred Molina steals it though as his crazy lover Kenneth Halliwell.

Vanessa Redgrave also has a nice role as Joe Orton's agent in PRICK UP YOUR EARS.

The movie is based on the book by John Lahr, the son of Bert Lahr (who played the Cowardly Lion in THE WIZARD OF OZ).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings