Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia -- Week of September 12, 2005

Good morning, everybody! Was up early this morning taping movies off TCM during their birthday tribute to Dickie Moore. No, I'm not that big a fan of Dickie, but I didn't want to miss the first two films, THE EXPERT (1932) and THE STAR WITNESS (1931), starring one of my favorite character actors, Charles "Chic" Sale. One of America's most beloved one-man acts, Sale had played old men since his late 20s, and was still in his mid-40s when he made the two movies mentioned above. Funny thing about THE STAR WITNESS -- Walter Huston, who looked dapper and handsome as the DA in that movie, was actually a year older than Sale, who was playing an elderly man!

I ended up jotting down a lot of notes for a profile of Chic Sale, which I'll be posting in another folder later today or tomorrow. But note that you can see him in two more films this week, on Thursday's birthday tribute to Jackie Cooper: WHEN A FELLER NEEDS A FRIEND (1932) at 10:30 am, and TREASURE ISLAND (1934) at 4:30 pm.

Now, on to this week's movie trivia . . .

Monday's question: What popular song can be heard on the soundtracks of THE SHIP FROM SHANGHAI (1929), SPEAK EASILY (1932), IDIOT'S DELIGHT (1939), LITTLE NELLIE KELLY (1940), and NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959), among others, and was itself the title of a classic musical?

Good luck!

I found this out about Wimpy in the " Wikepedia" or whatever...."His famous line, which was first introduced to the Popeye cartoons in the 1934 cartoon, "We Aim to Please", is "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". " So Wimpy did copy the line from Jack Oakie! Interesting to me anyway.....

Good job, shaina! You are correct!

By the way, cartoon character J. Wellington Wimpy (his full name) first uttered that line in E. C. Segar's comic strip Thimble Theatre in the late '20s. One of my sources says 1928, the year before Segar introduced Popeye the Sailor in the strip. So it was a fairly established line by the time Jack Oakie used it in IF I HAD A MILLION in 1932 -- you can tell that by his delivery of the line.

By the way, Segar hated spinach . . .