Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Still of the Night Censored?

darkblue

It played at 2 am this morning. I recorded it and noticed that the recording came in at 90 minutes and 30 seconds.

Both Wikipedia and IMDb say the running time is 93 minutes.

At IMDb, I came across a message board topic for this film that's titled "Atrocious TCM Censorship".

Not sure what to think sometimes.

I guess this is the thread:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084732/board/nest/177861212

I just saw the latest TCM airing & seem to remember all the 'missing scenes' mentioned here

(for what it's worth)

:)

I'm sure TCM did not censor the scenes. They get the films this way from the distributor and the distributor probably doesn't know if some films have a few cut scenes.

One time I saw the second Tarzan film, the one with the nude swimming scene, and Mr. Osborne called attention to it in advance, and we've all seen it on TCM lots of times, but that one time the scene was totally missing from that print. Edited out by someone long before that print was shipped to TCM

One time I saw a print of THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI on TCM, and the ENTIRE fun house mirror scene had been cut out. I figured a film student or documentary maker stole it from the print and the distributor and TCM didn't realize it in advance.

And then there is the weird thing that happened to THE THING. The studio released the film on DVD and used a heavily edited and shortened 35 mm print. BUT, the studio filled in the missing scenes by using those scenes that were found still in a 16mm print. So now that film is shown on TCM and about half way through, it keeps jumping from 35mm high quality to 16mm bad quality then back to 35 then back to 16, and this is very distracting.

I guess this is the thread:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084732/board/nest/177861212

I just saw the latest TCM airing & seem to remember all the 'missing scenes' mentioned here

(for what it's worth)

That is the thread I read.

Having not seen the movie before, I only know that the version TCM shows is 2 -1/2 minutes shorter than it's supposed to be.

I hate when that happens - causes all kinds of questions for me to ponder. I hate pondering.

I'll say it right off. I take TCM's word that they don't edit films. Not to say they don't air an edited version now and then, but I don't believe it's intentional. What puzzles me is why, in this age of digital distribution, does this happens?

There are no "prints" anymore. Everything is on a digital format, be it disc, or some kind of hard drive or a direct satellite feed. Since they all come  from the same "master" copy each one should be identical.

In the old days, a film editor might forget to restore cuts to a print  before returning it so it went back into circulation without even the distributor knowing it  was incomplete. That can't happen today. There is no physical cutting and splicing anymore and any editing that's done would be done on a computer.  I think a lot of times, as somebody else pointed out, the distributor has no idea of what it's sending out.

Still, I don't hold TCM totally blameless. I think they need a better way to tell if what's sent to them is complete. With things so automated now I doubt that anybody actually sees what being shown before it is. So yes, while I do believe what TCM says, there is a problem which seems to be happening more often. TCM needs to take a serious look and find a solution.

I'll say it right off. I take TCM's word that they don't edit films. Not to say they don't air an edited version now and then, but I don't believe it's intentional.

Yes, I'm sure it's never intentional, but it's disappointing when an edited print is aired.

The bleeped version of RUNNING ON EMPTY that aired (with audio drops when expletives were spoken) was especially disappointing because I was really looking forward to that movie

Yes, I'm sure it's never intentional, but it'd disappointed when an edited print is aired.

The bleeped version of RUNNING ON EMPTY that aired (with audio drops when expletives were spoken) was especially disappointing because I was really looking forward to that movie

Me too. I was looking forward to burning a DVD for my collection. Instead I just erased it from my Hard Drive.