Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Other Side of the Wind by Orson Welles

Bogie56

I was just over at Wellesnet.com and noticed that the new producers of his unfinished film, The Other Side of the Wind are over in Cannes trying to raise the $2 million needed to finish the film.

It stars as you probably know a great list of actors who are almost all deceased now.  John Huston, Lili Palmer, Dennis Hopper, Paul Mazursky, Paul Stewart, Susan Strasberg, Edmond O'Brien, and Mercedes McCambridge.

It also mentioned that they are trying to raise the $2 million through crowd funding.  Approximately $200,000 has been raised so far in the last two weeks.  They do have some amazing gifts that go along with contributions.  Seems they take even $10 amounts.

So if any of you have some spare cash ...

The grand daddy is that for $50,000 you can get your name on the film as a co-producer.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/finish-orson-welles-last-film#/story

• Like 1

Well, I MIGHT have been tempted to contribute to this fund IF Orson's movie was set in the Antebellum South.

(...see this one comin', doncha...) ;)

Yep! Always thought the title, "Gone with the Other Side of the Wind" would probably make for one very interesting theater experience, alright!

• Like 1

Well, I MIGHT have been tempted to contribute to this fund IF Orson's movie was set in the Antebellum South.

(...see this one comin', doncha...) ;)

Yep! Always thought the title, "Gone with the Other Side of the Wind" would probably make for one very interesting theater experience, alright!

That deserves a mention in that Vole thread, don't u think?

I was just over at Wellesnet.com and noticed that the new producers of his unfinished film, The Other Side of the Wind are over in Cannes trying to raise the $2 million needed to finish the film.

It stars as you probably know a great list of actors who are almost all deceased now.  John Huston, Lili Palmer, Dennis Hopper, Paul Mazursky, Paul Stewart, Susan Strasberg, Edmond O'Brien, and Mercedes McCambridge.

It also mentioned that they are trying to raise the $2 million through crowd funding.  Approximately $200,000 has been raised so far in the last two weeks.  They do have some amazing gifts that go along with contributions.  Seems they take even $10 amounts.

The grand daddy is that for $50,000 you can get your name on the film as a co-producer.

Excellent....thanks, Bogie :)

The film is the epic story of legendary film director J.J. “Jake” Hannaford, played by the equally legendary John Huston. In the film, Jake sets out to make his own career re-defining film, also titled 'The Other Side of the Wind '.

ry3qpls3gvvpfkaept4k.jpg

ALSO of note...

Unfinished Orson Welles memoir found 30 years after great director's death

-Newly found autobiography details Citizen Kane director’s musings on Hemingway, Rita Hayworth and DW Griffith

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/22/unfinished-orson-welles-memoir-found

Thanks mr6666

Looks like they may have trouble pulling the materials into something that can be published though.

I thought this comment would interest a lot of people ...

“There’s a lot of evidence we’ve found that explains why he didn’t – or couldn’t – finish some of his projects.”

• Like 1

I would have thought it'd be because he had a tendency to rub too many of the "wrong" people the wrong way, and THEY provided the roadblocks for completion.

Still, I'd like to read that thing, if it ever comes out somehow and somewhere.

Sepiatone

The first thing I thought of when I read this post was, "What ! ? How can they "finish" a movie wherein most of the actors are dead? "

I was prepared to be "against" the idea, visions of creepy CG images of the actors "resurrected" through amazing but not always desireable digital technology dancing in my head.

However, I thought before I posted such a remark, I should actually read all of the article you provided for us.   So I did.

And I was mistaken, the people behind this are not going to devise some grotesque CGI way to bring back the actors in Welles' film. 

The Other Side of the Wind must have been almost finished, and in the editing stage, judging by how they propose to revive it.

This is from the article: 

"To take you a step further, here is the process we are looking to follow the funding process:

1. Acquire the original negatives
  2. Scan the negative into 4k digital media
  3. Edit the film based on Orson’s work-print, script and notes
  4. Restore and color correct the locked picture
  5. License music, produce a score and mix the sound          "

I'm fine with all the above ideas. So good luck to them!

I would have thought it'd be because he had a tendency to rub too many of the "wrong" people the wrong way, and THEY provided the roadblocks for completion.

Still, I'd like to read that thing, if it ever comes out somehow and somewhere.

Sepiatone

I'm not sure what the basis is for your comment.  His studio films were one thing, his own independent films quite another.

From what I have read in a myriad of books on Welles, his 'other' films were beset by financial problems which often meant that Orson made deals with the devil in order to keep shooting.  And all too often his many backers didn't like each other and refused to work together to complete his projects.  Quite often you had negative in this lab owned by this fellow, and more negative in another lab owned by someone else.

People have been trying for more than 30 years to settle the arguments and get this film finished.  Greed has been a major stumbling block all along.  It has been beset by politics and Orson died in 1985.  So clearly the delay in this particular film has nothing to do with rubbing someone the wrong way.

You still see these problems with independent films made today.  And Orson aside, this is another reason why so many films are 'lost' because they are tied up in legal wrangles.

I'm not sure what the basis is for your comment.  His studio films were one thing, his own independent films quite another.

From what I have read in a myriad of books on Welles, his 'other' films were beset by financial problems which often meant that Orson made deals with the devil in order to keep shooting.  And all too often his many backers didn't like each other and refused to work together to complete his projects.  Quite often you had negative in this lab owned by this fellow, and more negative in another lab owned by someone else.

People have been trying for more than 30 years to settle the arguments and get this film finished.  Greed has been a major stumbling block all along.  It has been beset by politics and Orson died in 1985.  So clearly the delay in this particular film has nothing to do with rubbing someone the wrong way.

You still see these problems with independent films made today.  And Orson aside, this is another reason why so many films are 'lost' because they are tied up in legal wrangles.

The squelching of Orson Welles's creative output was one of the greatest injustices of the studio system.

But even with often very limited resources Welles was able to produce some the greatest cinematic works ever to be made by an American filmmaker.

The squelching of Orson Welles's creative output was one of the greatest injustices of the studio system.

But even with often very limited resources Welles was able to produce some the greatest cinematic works ever to be made by an American filmmaker.

Well, sadly it is still the case today.  $2 million to finish an Orson Welles film?  How many of those are lying about, especially with that great cast.

But it is easy for the fat cats to cough up $200 million for some inane flop like The Lone Ranger.

What are they going to do, hire Ed Wood's chiropractor for all the dead actors' parts?

:D  :D  :D

"Finishing The Other Side of the Wind: An Interview with Peter Bogdanovich and Filip Jan Rymsza"

http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/05/26/finishing-the-other-side-of-the-wind-an-interview-with-peter-bogdanovich-and-filip-jan-rymsza/

PB: "The material isn’t dated. It’s a period piece now, because it was shot in the ‘70s, but I don’t believe it’s dated in any way. It’s very modern. And it deals with egos, deception, betrayal, and all the things that Orson was interested in."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings