Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does eclecticism rein at tcm?

NipkowDisc

what is this? programming for eclectics? only decent film on today's schedule is the poseidon adventure. (maybe beyond the poseidon adventure too if you like seein' veronica hamel wack some guy in the throat with a hatchet) not everyone is gonna go bat-guano nuts over doris day musicals. counter-intuitiveness is having a good run here at tcm. :)

what is this? programming for eclectics? only decent film on today's schedule is the poseidon adventure. (maybe beyond the poseidon adventure too if you like seein' veronica hamel wack some guy in the throat with a hatchet) not everyone is gonna go bat-guano nuts over doris day musicals. counter-intuitiveness is having a good run here at tcm. :)

You're so out of touch (but that isn't unusual).    While there isn't much on TCM today that I'm interested in,  I don't see how one classifies Disaster films as 'programming for eclectics'.      Instead the Disaster film sub-genre is a very commercial one made for the couch potato space cadet market.    :P

I could recommend to you some made-for-Tv disaster films, Nipkow, if you're tired of seeing the same old theatrical disaster flicks over and over. 

Also:  I don't think TCM has aired the Irwin Allen 'throw-in-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink' disaster flick "WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . . " (1980). 

► There's 3 versions of "When Time Ran Out . . . ", btw.  If TCM ever airs it I wonder which version they'll show? 

You're so out of touch (but that isn't unusual).    While there isn't much on TCM today that I'm interested in,  I don't see how one classifies Disaster films as 'programming for eclectics'.      Instead the Disaster film sub-genre is a very commercial one made for the couch potato space cadet market.    :P

a good point but I didn't wanna trash doris day musicals straight-out. :)

Its really a shame some of us just love those Doris Day musicals.

Well TCM shows movies from all the genres which is how it should be.   Therefore on most days there is at least 1 or 2 movies,  if not more,  that any fan of studio-era movies should like.    

As it relates to musicals;  I'm not very interested in the genre to begin with so my joke wasn't really about Day.   But I'm a big fan of Young Man with a Horn,  but that isn't really a musical , per se  (but the best film about the life of a jazz musician).   I also like Day in her suspense films and the Cagney film Love Me or Leave Me.

The musicals I enjoy are the Astaire \ Rogers films but more so for the dancing and one like Footlight Parade,  42 Second Street and Gold Diggers of 1933 because they are Warner musicals from the 30s.   

Ever since the long, national nightmare that was 31 DAYS OF OSCAR ended, the programming on TCM has been pretty good...It's almost as if they were as sick to death of some of the same stuff as we were.

And I know there have been some newly acquired titles that have shown up quite a bit- THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE a good example- but I'm okay with that. I know that there are some films that are going to be shown pretty regularly for budgetary and logistical reasons, but SO LONG AS THE LIST OF REPEATERS IS CHANGED EVERY SO OFTEN, I'm totally okay with that...Same thign goes for THE CONSTANT NYMPH, a film which was unseen for decades until 18 months (or so) ago when TCM worked to free it up. Yes, it has aired a dozen times since then, but I'M OKAY WITH THAT because it's been nowhere near as accessible as say, CASABLANCA has been.

And I personally would be totally fine with encore showings of some titles within the same day or week, because it seems a lot of the time like they schedule awesome stuff for the graveyard shift and some of us are broke f***ers who can't afford DVRs. Stuff like HOT SATURDAY or FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO or HOLD BACK THE DAWN should get a morning and evening showing to insure we can all see it.

What I don't care for is the reliance on bloated, overlong epics to pad out the weekends as most of the ones they show are shown to death or not very good to begin with (ICE STATION ZEBRA, anyone?)

I agree :) Exposure to all film genres and time periods is what makes TCM the best film channel around. (of course no commercial interruptions counts)

yeah, but they keep exposing us to the same films. like tonite for instance, The Third Man again? :angry:

yeah, but they keep exposing us to the same films. like tonite for instance, The Third Man again? :angry:

Move to Canada where it has been bumped yet again.   ;)

Hey, they do have Ginza Cosmetics on this weekend.  I doubt many other channels are carrying that.

Isn't it about time we got to see THE FOURTH MAN?

Nostradamus foresaw this many, many years ago - that's why he invented divisional math

<wha..?> .. Yes. I know..

Just divide the number of times you have seen The Third Man (or North By Nortwest) by 4. Then, divide that result by 4... and so on and so on.. until you get back down to a single digit number. Now you're ready to begin viewing these classics aaalll over again.

Ok.. Next problem..?

I wonder if TCM in Maple Leaf Land ever programs any Canadian-made or Canadian-financed features that aren't seen on U.S. TCM? 

I've been able to round up a bunch of pre-1990 Canadian movies for my video collection over the years.  I reckon about 100 Canadian films reside in my movie stash -- on legitimate video labels, too, I might add.  No 'copies of copies'.  Can't be arsed with bootleg videos.  Anyway, I figure if a Yankee like me can get hold of so many Canadian movies then Turner Classic in Canada ought to be able to air some uniquely Canadian features or perhaps other films financed by Canadians even if they weren't actually filmed in Canada ► like the 1982 movie "Trapped" starring Henry Silva and directed by William Fruet. 

I've never found a copy of the 1973 Canadian movie "The Hard Part Begins", however.  Bummer!  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings