Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That Sinking Feeling

Bogie56

A topic in honour of this evening's films about maritime disasters.  There are many many films that fit into this genre along with those about survival at sea in lifeboats, etc.

My favourite, which I also made mention of in the Hits & Misses thread happens to be Roy Ward Baker's 1958 British drama, A Night to Remember.

I like how this version treats its subject in a somewhat clinical documentary fashion.  For me the realism of that approach only adds to its emotional impact.  

And it boasts a great soundtrack by one of England's best technicians, Harry Miller.

An old friend of mine who was a Pinewood sound editor at the time told me that he was paid 20 pounds to act as a stunt double and was the one wearing a woman's dress that jumps from the deck into the water tank.

David McCallum and Kenneth Griffith play the wireless operators.  Look fast for Sean Connery as a deck hand.  Honor Blackman is great as is Laurence Naismith as Captain Smith.

It is one of Kenneth More's best films.  He plays Second Officer Lightoller.  A stone's throw away from where I live in Richmond Upon Thames is a plaque to Lightoller where he once had his boatyard.  A business he operated after the Titanic disaster.  Lightoller was also involved in rescuing troops from the beaches of Dunkirk in WWII.  That is when England mobilized as many private vessels as possible, large and small to cross the channel to rescue the surrounded troops.  Quite a life.

• Like 1

A topic in honour of this evening's films about maritime disasters.  There are many many films that fit into this genre along with those about survival at sea in lifeboats, etc.

My favourite, which I also made mention of in the Hits & Misses thread happens to be Roy Ward Baker's 1958 British drama, A Night to Remember.

I like how this version treats its subject in a somewhat clinical documentary fashion.  For me the realism of that approach only adds to its emotional impact.  

And it boasts a great soundtrack by one of England's best technicians, Harry Miller.

An old friend of mine who was a Pinewood sound editor at the time told me that he was paid 20 pounds to act as a stunt double and was the one wearing a woman's dress that jumps from the deck into the water tank.

David McCallum and Kenneth Griffith play the wireless operators.  Look fast for Sean Connery as a deck hand.  Honor Blackman is great as is Laurence Naismith as Captain Smith.

It is one of Kenneth More's best films.  He plays Second Officer Lightoller.  A stone's throw away from where I live in Richmond Upon Thames is a plaque to Lightoller where he once had his boatyard.  A business he operated after the Titanic disaster.  Lightoller was also involved in rescuing troops from the beaches of Dunkirk in WWII.  That is when England mobilized as many private vessels as possible, large and small to cross the channel to rescue the surrounded troops.  Quite a life.

a great film and a great performance by more.

I agree with you in it not being clinical in any way.  It treats this tragic subject with compassion and humanity.  It avoids the problem inherent in ensemble pictures of dealing with an unwieldy number of characters.  A Night to Remember tells its many stories, and is able to make us recognize and care for what happens to them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings