Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I remember being shocked when hearing that Buffy of Family Affair died very young.  I think John Williams took over for Sebastian Cabot at one point.  Buffy had the doll.  What was weird for me was that like My Three Sons we had single parent families (usually through death).

yes, Anissa Jones did not want to act anymore and turned to drugs. She died of an overdose at the age of 18. John Williams played Mr French's brother for 9 episodes while Sebastian Cabot recovered from an illness. The producer of Family Affair was Don Fedderson, the same one who produced My Three Sons.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on hitting 1000 pages on the "I Just Watched" thread.  Quite an achievement!  Thanks for creating it 5 and a half years ago Speedracer5!

I watched 'Vertigo' Thursday night on TCM.  I love the restoration of the film.  The colors really popped, and the musical score to the movie is top-notch.  I have a question though, and I apologize if it's redundant, because I keep thinking it was discussed on this message board (but not on this thread) several years ago.  The question is this:  Did the Thursday showing of this film end abruptly?  Jimmy Stewart is standing on the roof outside the bell tower after Kim Novak was literally scared to death by a local nun, then THE END pops up on the screen.  Something tells me there was a different, slightly longer ending where the deception and death of Gavin Elster's wife is tied up neatly and the husband, implicated in the woman's death, is arrested and in custody.  You don't see the arrest of the guy, but rather, you hear about it on a radio newscast.  I  also thought this longer ending involved Jimmy Stewart getting back together with Barbara Bel Geddes.  How wrong am I on this?  It's been several years since I've seen 'Vertigo'.  Thanks for any responses to help set me straight.

Looking forward to 'The Greatest Show On Earth', which makes a rare TCM appearance.  Haven't seen this movie in decades.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I watched 'Vertigo' Thursday night on TCM.  I love the restoration of the film.  The colors really popped, and the musical score to the movie is top-notch.  I have a question though, and I apologize if it's redundant, because I keep thinking it was discussed on this message board (but not on this thread) several years ago.  The question is this:  Did the Thursday showing of this film end abruptly?  Jimmy Stewart is standing on the roof outside the bell tower after Kim Novak was literally scared to death by a local nun, then THE END pops up on the screen.  Something tells me there was a different, slightly longer ending where the deception and death of Gavin Elster's wife is tied up neatly and the husband, implicated in the woman's death, is arrested and in custody.  You don't see the arrest of the guy, but rather, you hear about it on a radio newscast.  I  also thought this longer ending involved Jimmy Stewart getting back together with Barbara Bel Geddes.  How wrong am I on this?  It's been several years since I've seen 'Vertigo'.  Thanks for any responses to help set me straight.

 

I have the DVD of Vertigo in which the film ends with a fade out as Stewart stands outside the bell tower looking down after Kim has fallen to her death.

There is an extra on the DVD, though, of the "Foreign Censorship Ending" Hithcock shot, coming right after the above scene's fade out, which shows Midge (Bel Geddes) listening to a radio reporting that Ester, last seen in France, will be extradited once he is caught. Stewart then returns to her apartment looking glum. She hands him a drink, they say nothing to one another and the film ends.

It's a limp tag on designed to wrap up the story with Elster and Scotty and Midge together but who knows where, if anywhere, their relationship is headed. IMO it lacks the haunting quality of seeing Stewart's stunned reaction to having lost Madeliene/Judy a second time.

vertigo_1.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, midwestan said:

Thanks TomJH for your post.  I thought I was going nuts for a minute!  The last time I saw 'Vertigo' was with the ending you described as the 'Foreign Censorship Ending'.

I think it may be poor Scotty who goes nuts after that fade out.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TomJH said:

I think it may be poor Scotty who goes nuts after that fade out.

Yeah, he was a hot mess after the second trauma.  Even though they had short scenes in it, I really enjoyed Ellen Corby's and Henry Jones' performances.  Along with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart starred in 4 Alfred Hitchcock movies, and while his performance here is good, I think he was too old to play Kim Novak's love interest.  And I still say the nun, who played a pivotal role at the end of the picture could have been charged as an accessory to manslaughter!  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I remember being shocked when hearing that Buffy of Family Affair died very young.  I think John Williams took over for Sebastian Cabot at one point.  Buffy had the doll.  What was weird for me was that like My Three Sons we had single parent families (usually through death).  Remember Julia also.

Not sure what I will watch tonight.  On demand from TCM is The Strange Love or Loves of Martha Ivers, could start The Greatest Show (TCM's circus night at the movies), or just do some L&O repeats and Blue Blood repeats.

The 60s, as contrasted with most of the shows from the 1950s, had a lot of sitcoms with single or adoptive parents, but the networks tended to shy away from divorce back then.  It was their way of trying to depict family situations that were becoming more common in 1960s US without mentioning divorce.   The early exception to the "no divorce" rule was The Lucy Show, with the Vivian Bagley character being the first divorced mother on a regular primetime US TV show.  The show was meant to be just a one season affair, as a stop-gap measure for CBS to help keep Desilu Productions (not the studio, which rented out studio space to many other shows of the era) afloat.   Desilu had just one in-house production still on the air at the time (The Untouchables), as several of their sitcoms had been recently cancelled.  The result was that the production arm continued on, and produced some shows that are now major franchises in American culture (Star Trek, Mission: Impossible) and the popular series Mannix.  Desilu eventually became Paramount Television, which went on to produce numerous shows in the ensuing decades.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Yeah, he was a hot mess after the second trauma.  Even though they had short scenes in it, I really enjoyed Ellen Corby's and Henry Jones' performances.  Along with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart starred in 4 Alfred Hitchcock movies, and while his performance here is good, I think he was too old to play Kim Novak's love interest.  And I still say the nun, who played a pivotal role at the end of the picture could have been charged as an accessory to manslaughter!  😉

Well, Jimmy may appear a little old for Kim on screen (though, not to be too catty, not in real life, apparently) but I think his casting is highly effective in Vertigo. To see an actor known for his all American regular guy persona become obsessed with a woman adds to the chilling effect. Stewart, of course, had been stretching his screen persona by portraying characters with darker streaks, particularly in his westerns, but he raised it to even a greater level, I think, in this Hitchcock film.

This is one of my very favourite Jimmy Stewart performances, reaching a peak in intensity in the film's final ten minutes. Stewart actually appears dangerous as he drags Kim up those stairs but moments later he reveals Scotty's emotional vulnerability when he calls Judy "Madeleine" and tells her how much he had loved her. Stewart, so obsessively dangerous just seconds before, now effectively portrays a man in great emotional pain. I think it's a great performance in a complex characterization.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well, Jimmy may appear a little old for Kim on screen (though, not to be too catty, not in real life, apparently) but I think his casting is highly effective in Vertigo. To see an actor known for his all American regular guy persona become obsessed with a woman adds to the chilling effect. Stewart, of course, had been stretching his screen persona by portraying characters with darker streaks, particularly in his westerns, but he raised it to even a greater level, I think, in this Hitchcock film.

This is one of my very favourite Jimmy Stewart performances, reaching a peak in intensity in the film's final ten minutes. Stewart actually appears dangerous as he drags Kim up those stairs but moments later he reveals Scotty's emotional vulnerability when he calls Judy "Madeleine" and tells her how much he had loved her. Stewart, so obsessively dangerous just seconds before, now effectively portrays a man in great emotional pain. I think it's a great performance in a complex characterization.

Of Stewart's four Hitchcock films, I think I like his performance in 'Rope' the best, followed by 'Vertigo', 'Rear Window', and 'The Man Who Knew Too Much'.  You're right though, it was a complex role he played in 'Vertigo'.  I felt sorry for Barbara Bel Geddes' character too.  She deserved better than she got from him, even though she's the one who broke off their engagement many years prior to the story taking place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Of Stewart's four Hitchcock films, I think I like his performance in 'Rope' the best, followed by 'Vertigo', 'Rear Window', and 'The Man Who Knew Too Much'.  You're right though, it was a complex role he played in 'Vertigo'.  I felt sorry for Barbara Bel Geddes' character too.  She deserved better than she got from him, even though she's the one who broke off their engagement many years prior to the story taking place.

I agree. Midge is a good person who just didn't get the romantic breaks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I hope that I am not offending you by pointing out that you can edit your previous post to make it more celebratory.

I figured I’d let Speedracer have the celebration post, it’s her thread. 
(In fact, I feel kind of guilty for stealing her moment)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Blondie's Reward Poster

Blondie's Reward (1948) Youtube 41/0

Dagwood bungles a deal and Mr Radcliffe demotes him to office boy.

This is the 23rd entry in the series, not as funny as it once was, though it tries very hard. After Dagwood forgets to pick up some plans, Alvin's football hero cousin helps out posing as Dagwood. He punches out the boyfriend of the client's daughter to protect her. It turns out her father can't stand the boyfriend so he is OK with it. Some complications when people are confused by two guys named Dagwood Bumstead. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

On Vertigo and the nun comment, I once heard something about Hitchcock and hating Catholic School.

That nun probably scared Hitchcock as much as she did Kim Novak.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2020 at 8:45 AM, speedracer5 said:

Disregard.  I thought my post would become page 1000. 

:(

 

On 11/6/2020 at 6:53 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

vera10.jpgSAH-VAGE

 

20 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh snap.

1,000

 

17 hours ago, midwestan said:

Congrats on hitting 1000 pages on the "I Just Watched" thread.  Quite an achievement!  Thanks for creating it 5 and a half years ago Speedracer5!

 

 

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I figured I’d let Speedracer have the celebration post, it’s her thread. 
(In fact, I feel kind of guilty for stealing her moment)


Thank you everyone for helping us get to page 1000!! 
 

Ann Sah-vage and I couldn’t have done it without you!! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Miss Tulip Stays the Night (1955)

 

A somewhat unhinged old lady barges into an isolated cottage during a storm and demands a room for the night. The mystery writer and his wife who live there oblige. She repays them by being murdered during the night. The constable and the inspector who investigate the crime are nearly as bumbling and incompetent as the police in one of the mystery writer's novels.

This is a very charming little comedy murder mystery with a wonderful 1930s feel. Diana Dors resists vamping up her role as the wife of a mystery writer and presents a warmly comfortable and caring character. The rest of the cast are veteran actors who easily slip into their roles and perform admirably. The sole newcomer is: Archie Terry-Thomas who plays Archie Dax. He acquitted himself well in all his scenes but it is sad to say that this is his only movie credit. It may be because this was the last movie in which Ida Patlanski appeared. She was married at the time to noted English actor and comedian Terry-Thomas and it is obvious that they controlled little Archie's career.

Included with Amazon Prime Video at no additional cost.

15/17

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the question about the new president, if you are talking US election results, Biden and Harris won, although he won't take office until Jan.  My only political comment regarding that is that I'm interested to stay up a little later than usual and see how SNL handles it.  As I posted somewhere, Jim Carey's Biden was criticized for it being Carey doing Carey rather than watching tapes of Biden.  My wish list for his replacement might include someone like Steve Martin or Bill Murray with a guest appearance by Tina Fey as Sarah Palin (asking Joe for a job).  I think Dave Chappelle is the host.

This afternoon I watched a so-so film called The Meddler with Susan Sarandon.  It had a nice cast and I like Susan Sarandon.  By the way, watching the beautiful Ms. Sarandon the other night in the Banger Sisters, I started to wonder why women in films seem to give themselves or have others give then perfect haircutters (Melanie G. in Working Girl).

Tonight, the only thing I'm pretty sure on is My Favorite Year on TCM.

Congrats on 1000.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This afternoon I watched "Gold of the Seven Saints" with Roger Moore & Clint Walker. It was from 1961. I'm more of a Roger Moore fan with the James Bond movies. I've seen him in a couple non-Bond movies. But that's what I prefer. I've watched "The Saint" with my dad. I'm not too familiar with Clint Walker. The movie was directed by Gordon Douglas. I know some of his movies. I didn't think the movie needed to be black & white. Usually I don't care. But I think the movie should have been in color. It was a good movie though; but not fantastic.

GOLD OF THE SEVEN SAINTS photo CLINT WALKER/ROGER MOORE

Lori

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...