Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Tom, I had read The Russia House and it literally put me to sleep several nights in a row.

My favourite book to read whenever I want to get to sleep is Silas Marner, a tale about a weaver, by George Eliot. Usually by the time I get to page 2 the sounds of my snoring are filling the house. That book is ten times better than Unisom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually caught with Silas Marner about a year or so ago.  My Mom felt the same way you did.  It was one of the few George Eliot books I never read.  I just keep going to sleep because of anemia el alia (during TV Shows and while reading).

I've read and seen Lolita, so bypassing TCM tonight.  Probably watch hour repeats (Steven Hill L&O's, baking championships, Bull or more baking/L&W (Don't care for Dr. Phil, but Bull has gotten interesting).  

On 11/9/2020 at 4:45 PM, chaya bat woof woof said:

I actually caught with Silas Marner about a year or so ago.  My Mom felt the same way you did. 

Well, if your Mom finished page two she's got me beat.

48 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I actually caught with Silas Marner about a year or so ago.  My Mom felt the same way you did.  It was one of the few George Eliot books I never read.  I just keep going to sleep because of anemia el alia (during TV Shows and while reading).

I've read and seen Lolita, so bypassing TCM tonight.  Probably watch hour repeats (Steven Hill L&O's, baking championships, Bull or more baking/L&W (Don't care for Dr. Phil, but Bull has gotten interesting).  

For me the biggie was War and Peace.  Started if 4 or 5 times and just couldn't get through it.  Then I decided to start from where I last stop when I got ready to tackle it again.  Don't remember a thing about it.  Other than fact that every character had three different  names, none of which I could pronounce.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

For me the biggie was War and Peace.  Started if 4 or 5 times and just couldn't get through it.  Then I decided to start from where I last stop when I got ready to tackle it again.  Don't remember a thing about it.  Other than fact that every character had three different  names, none of which I could pronounce.

At least you've got a great backup door stop.

• Haha 1

**SPOILER WARNING IF YOU NEVER SAW VERTIGO**

I watched "Vertigo" several months ago for the first time & got confused near the end.  I think I watched it on the Movies! channel.  I was liking the movie until I got confused.  It was on TCM the other day & I watched it this afternoon.  I understood it more this time than last time.  But I have a question.  Am I right that Gavin killed his wife?  Did he kill her for her money?  He then hired Judy to pretend to be Madeleine?  Why?  After the killing, shouldn't Gavin have told Judy to leave town?  Was Judy a girlfriend?  Kim Novak played both girls, but how did she look & sound so different?

Lori

7 hours ago, TomJH said:

My favourite book to read whenever I want to get to sleep is Silas Marner, a tale about a weaver, by George Eliot. Usually by the time I get to page 2 the sounds of my snoring are filling the house. That book is ten times better than Unisom.

I never saw the Steve Martin remake (back when he was updating more classic literature after "Roxanne"), A Simple Twist of Fate (1994) :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt2__27L358

The problem with Silas Marner as a soporific is that it's a relatively short novel, so if one is reading

it consecutively, it won't last that long and one will have to find a new book as a sleep aid.

Elster killed his wife. He already had Judy pretending to be Madeleine and hired Scotty to follow her

because he knew when it came time to throw his wife off the tower Scotty would not be able to follow

Judy through the trap door and up so he would not see Elster throwing his dead wife off the tower

and thus Scotty would think Judy was the wife and had been killed, when she really hadn't. I think it's

implied that Gavin was doing Judy, though it's never made all that explicit. Kim Novak was made up

to look like Elster's wife to fool Scotty. After the murder she returned to her original look. It was

stupid to stay in SF, but maybe she figured the chance of running into Scotty in a big city was minimal.

18 hours ago, ElCid said:

I managed to get through it by skipping large sections where he discusses his opinions about war etc. that add nothing to the story. Must've been paid by the page......

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

**SPOILER WARNING IF YOU NEVER SAW VERTIGO**

I watched "Vertigo" several months ago for the first time & got confused near the end.  I think I watched it on the Movies! channel.  I was liking the movie until I got confused.  It was on TCM the other day & I watched it this afternoon.  I understood it more this time than last time.  But I have a question.  Am I right that Gavin killed his wife?  Did he kill her for her money?  He then hired Judy to pretend to be Madeleine?  Why?  After the killing, shouldn't Gavin have told Judy to leave town?  Was Judy a girlfriend?  Kim Novak played both girls, but how did she look & sound so different?

Lori

Yes, she was his girlfriend. He coached her and used the Carlotta story. He paid her off and dumped her. This is one of the big plot holes in the story (several really)  Why would someone go to all that time and trouble to cook up this plot which depended on  many factors to fall in place and not find an easier way to kill his wife? Plus leaving Judy alive left him open to future blackmail. Judy stayed in town. Elster left town. In the final scene Judy tells Scotty he killed his wife beforehand.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, she was his girlfriend. He coached her and used the Carlotta story. He paid her off and dumped her. This is one of the big plot holes in the story (several really)  Why would someone go to all that time and trouble to cook up this plot which depended on  many factors to fall in place and not find an easier way to kill his wife? Plus leaving Judy alive left him open to future blackmail. Judy stayed in town. Elster left town. In the final scene Judy tells him Scotty killed his wife beforehand.

Only things I like about Vertigo are the scenery and Jimmy Stewart's De Soto.

Romancing the Stone (1984) and The Jewel of the Nile (1985) recently became available to watch as part of subscription to Amazon Prime Video at no additional cost.

I like Romancing the Stone (1984) very much. It presents charmingly a romance novelist whose comfort zone does not extend more than twenty feet away from her typewriter and cat but is willing to do what is expected of her and holding her own in situations akin to the dire straits presented in her books. How much she grows and how she does not need to be rescued by a man in the final act is the soul of the movie. The chemistry between Turner and Douglas seems very real and very precious. The action and adventure are overblown and unrealistic and quite wonderful. It is unabashedly a romp.

7/9.6

I hesitated to watch The Jewel of the Nile (1985) because of what I remembered of it. I gave it a chance because it may be that I have mellowed over the years. It is obvious that I have not. I am far from liberal but this movie is as racist and insensitive as actors in blackface doing a Minstrel Show. The title character is glorified by Sunni but casting selected a Hebrew from Atlanta. The villain is a dreadfully stereotypical Arab megalomaniac but is played by a man with classically Greek face and mannerisms. Even the minor role of a Nubian fighting for the heroine's hand was performed by a Senegalese. Please do not misunderstand me: the first two actors are wonderful and are to be celebrated in other roles and the third does acquit himself well but none of them have any place in this movie. Every aspect of the Middle Easterners from dress to beliefs to entertainment is mindlessly stereotypical. 'Jokes' such as "No sheep is safe tonight" during a native celebration clearly shows the writer's and director's mindset. That this movie was made after the 1950s should move it into the realm of a hate crime.

This would not be a good movie even if a person could put all of that aside. It is a string of scenes threaded onto a miserably thin plotline. There is no romantic tension. There is no rising action. There is no reason for such a well-funded movie to have special effects done by Mrs. Pritchett's third-grade art class. 

-23/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Regarding The Russia House, it is low-key. But I'm a big fan of it. I don't think that Connery and Pfeiffer were ever better, and you have fine support from James Fox and Klaus Maria Brandauer, glorious location photography (one of the first American films to film extensively in the USSR), a melancholy marvel of a score from Jerry Goldsmith, a literate script,  and a strong air of intelligence.  I found it to be one of the very best films of 1990. But then again I'm one of a very small number who loved The Godfather Part III, so.... :unsure:

54 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

For what's its worth,  my bound  to be controversial personal ranking of 1990. (And yes I admit I liked Kindergarten Cop and thought that some of the foreign-language films were as dry as dirt)

UgCWePe.png

Jgr7YJN.png

BFpW96b.png

wUMVEYe.png

gnFq9S5.png

You got some good movies on this list.  I like "Kindergarten Cop" also.  I have the DVD for it.

Lori

• Like 1

The Weekend Nun Poster

The Weekend Nun (1972)  Youtube 6/10

A nun moonlights as a probation officer for juvenile offenders.

This was a TV movie that I saw many years ago and just revisited on Youtube. It was a very dark, faded copy but I liked it anyway. Joanna Pettet plays the title role who uses her faith and kindness to her cases and she is partnered with Vic Morrow as a more tough and cynical P.O. Kay Lenz has her first role as Pettet's toughest case, a drug addicted teenage hooker. The acting by Pettet, Morrow and Lenz is excellent. The most memorable scene is Morrow giving Lenz a dose of reality when he drags her to the morgue to show her what awaits her. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

For what's its worth,  my bound  to be controversial personal ranking of 1990. (And yes I admit I liked Kindergarten Cop and thought that some of the foreign-language films were as dry as dirt)

UgCWePe.png

Jgr7YJN.png

BFpW96b.png

wUMVEYe.png

gnFq9S5.png

didn't think much of THE GRIFTERS did you?

I'm with you in GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH tho, that's a fun movie.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

didn't think much of THE GRIFTERS did you?

I'm with you in GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH tho, that's a fun movie.

Thought the performances were quite good in The Grifters, but there were two things amiss: it wasn't quite as snappily made as I would have wished, and the rental disc I saw it on wasn't the greatest lopping off some sections of the second half (which made me furious). It's not a bad film though. (same goes for Show of Force and Wild at Heart and Hunt for Red October under it; I'd give them all the benefit of the doubt.) Mo Better Blues and down though are either films that didn't leave much of an impact, are mixed, or some just plain bad (the last 5 or 6, cough, cough).

Gremlins 2 is a treat (which is strange because I wasn't so fond of #1). It's wild, its loose, its crazy and it feels like a feature length Looney Tunes cartoon. I was laughing hard throughout the entire film.

• Thanks 1
On 11/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, Hibi said:

I managed to get through it by skipping large sections where he discusses his opinions about war etc. that add nothing to the story. Must've been paid by the page......

My husband read the whole book.  He also mentioned the same character having multiple names.  He said that characters would be introduced, disappear, then re-appear hundreds of pages later and he would have to remember who  it was.  

• Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 7:50 AM, TikiSoo said:

As a fan of Margaret Rutherford, I had a fair idea of what kind of movie this would be & it did not disappoint. A British farcical type comedy, short & sweet with fabulous performances of all kinds from straight camp to slapstick. While I found his adult prat falling silly, the snarky one line zingers written for Frankie Howard often made me LOL. He is the malcontent bus driver with a bunch of loony passengers in a kind of mystery whodunit akin to an Abbot & Costello movie. 

As a fan of Margaret Rutherford, have you seen Aunt Clara (1954)? It doesn't show up that often, but it's a very enjoyable film, about a sweet old lady who inherits her uncle's estate, because he feels she's the only relative he can trust to take care of his assets, which include a pub and a brothel.  I had seen it years ago and recently on YouTube.  Aunt Clara is a good, unpretentious English movie 

(My grandmother looked like Margaret Rutherford, in fact my friends referred to her as "Granny Rutherford.")

Aunt_Clara-958423723-large.jpg

MV5BMmI5YmEzNjgtZmUxOC00MDRhLTlkNmUtNjZl

• Like 2

Gog (1954)

This wonderful little movie is the quintessential 1950s sci-fi flick! It is missing an alien invasion, bug-eyed monsters and women in barely-legal skirts. I can think of no other trope which it misses. That this was an important time in the Cold War is unmistakable. 

Two scientists working on cryogenics are murdered by their experiment.  Richard Egan comes to investigate and naturally more people are murdered by their own laboratory equipment before he discovers the killer. Gog and Magog are robots built to operate in space and are the most awesome robots before Robbie and Daleks came along. A range of then-new science is presented with laymen-level accuracy for the time. 

I firmly believe that this is a must-watch movie for all who love period sci-fi!

9/9.6

Available on Amazon Prime Video at no additional cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1