Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have several DVD's with Willie Best on them and have always thought highly of his contributions.  Perhaps they are too stereotyped, but he got the most out the roles and made the movies better.

I also remember him from My Little Margie TV series where he played the elevator operator.  It was odd to hear him speak of his wife and family as he hadn't aged a bit from early roles.

• Like 2

Last night I watched (re-watched) Tootsie.  I always felt that Dustin Hoffman's character mistreated Teri Garr (Sandy).  Some funny scenes, especially when Dorothy (Dustin/Michael) baby sits for Jessica Lange so that she can go out with Dabney Coleman.  Also, having watched soaps over the years, some of the story lines, etc. shows that they knew their subject.  On Thanksgiving, I love watching the dog shows (but the basset keeps getting passed over).  Also, just found a short clip on You Tube of the Bob Newhart Show Thanksgiving episode (moo goo gai pan by the truckload).  Another video has Newhart discussing why, except for the final episode, it is the most fondly remembered episode.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Also, just found a short clip on You Tube of the Bob Newhart Show Thanksgiving episode (moo goo gai pan by the truckload).  Another video has Newhart discussing why, except for the final episode, it is the most fondly remembered episode.

"There's no turkey in the oven."
(beat pause) "...Emily, whatever you do, don't look in the dishwasher."

• Haha 3

The Avenging Hand (1936)

Noah Beery is an American gangster on vacation in London. He stumbles across a plot to steal stolen loot. 

Those who love Noah Beery should like this movie because he dominates it as the loudest and fastest talker. My problem with the movie is that it is all talk. A murder commands all of 5.2 seconds in the middle of the movie. This includes the time required to place the gun in the victim's hand so that it will be ruled a suicide. Reginald Long is credited for the adaptation. I can find no other information but it seems very plain to me that this was a play which was chosen as the basis of a movie which could be made quickly for little money. The magic of moviemaking allowed its scope to be expanded from the lobby of a hotel to the lobby, a few rooms in the hotel and the beauty parlor in the hotel.

I found it sufficiently interesting that it was not a chore to watch to the end. I can find no other praise for it.

4.2/9

Available on Amazon Prime Video at no additional cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, TomJH said:

Director Henry Hathaway keeps the film moving at a pleasant clip, and there are plenty of on location shots taken in Trieste, the city of spies, which agreeably adds to the atmosphere of this production.

Note that Trieste was a separate political entity at this point, not being part of Italy or Yugoslavia, hence the espionage.  Trieste proper and areas to the northwest would be returned to Italy in 1954, while the parts to the south were given to Yugoslavia, and is why Slovenia has a coastline today.

• Thanks 3
On 11/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, TikiSoo said:

Haha thanks for letting me know what I'm in for (requested this from my li-berry) 

Billy's Mom, "Get out of my kitchen!" Uh, he can't get out of your kitchen after blending.

I hated the first movie because of the cheesy puppets & mean spirited heroes. Think I'll like this one because I'm older & will enjoy the absurdity factor. Good acting can elevate cheesy horror. 

TikiSoo, this scene with Billy's mom and the gremlins is from the first movie.  Billy's mom doesn't appear in GREMLINS 2.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

BILLY'S MOM, ORIGINAL GANGSTA:

Thanks for posting this!

When I saw the "Microwave With Marge" sequence in GREMLINS 2, I thought about Billy's mom exploding one of the gremlins in the microwave in the first movie.  

"Microwave With Marge" from GREMLINS 2 made me chuckle. First the idea of a "cooking" show that teaches people how to microwave. And then when Marge freaked out about the gremlins not following the rules : "They're putting metal utensils in the microwave!" 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Thanks for posting this!

When I saw the "Microwave With Marge" sequence in GREMLINS 2, I thought about Billy's mom exploding one of the gremlins in the microwave in the first movie.  

"Microwave With Marge" from GREMLINS 2 made me chuckle. First the idea of a "cooking" show that teaches people how to microwave. And then when Marge freaked out about the gremlins not following the rules : "They're putting metals utensils in the microwave!" 

MICROWAVE MARGE looks and ESPECIALLY sounds JUST LIKE My sister’s mother-in-law, who is a right wing conservative and a terrible cook to boot.
The bologna and bean dip roll ups were ***exactly*** the sort of thing she would make.

Note: the IMDb errors section For the movie makes the very astute observation that the bright lights of the cooking show studio would definitely have bothered the gremlins And there’s no way they would’ve been able to mount their attack (with them on.)

On 11/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, EricJ said:

"There's no turkey in the oven."
(beat pause) "...Emily, whatever you do, don't look in the dishwasher."

I thought that was one of the funniest shows ever.  Both Bob and Emily had that great dry delivery.

Emily  is angry and wants to stay up and fight based on the, "never go to bed mad" bit of marital lore. Bob says he can go to bed, he's not mad.  Emily dumps a piece of pie in his lap, "Are you mad now, Bob?"

• Like 1
On 11/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm touched!

Those of us with STRONG MOTHER FIGURES really enjoy the scene with BILLY'S MOM AND THE GREMLINS because we all know that if our Mom was in the same situation, she'd do THE EXACT SAME.  (And then probably make us clean out the microwave. )

BILLY'S MOM IS STREET-CERTIFIED HARDCORE. I'm not saying Billy's Mom shot Tupac, but I would like to know where she was on the night in question.

It's a lesson in moviemaking and screenwriting to see how the FIRST GREMLINS movie was CHANGED DRASTICALLY during or before production. They edit the scene with THE FUTTERMANS so it's not clear that they die from the snow plow, but they died in the original draft as did BILLY'S DOG and his MOM (who was DECAPITATED by the GREMLINS!!!!!!)

They were also supposed to include a scene in the first one where the Gremlins staged a massacre at a McDonald's but that was dropped, and for the sake of the filmmakers, it was a good idea to do that because there was a real-life massacre at a McDonalds a mere two to three months after the film was released.

• Thanks 1
On 11/21/2020 at 8:29 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

The Wolf Of Wall Street on IFC

Ok, you saw The Wolf of Wall Street.  But what did you think of it?  This is a film that generated a certain degree of controversy when it came out.  I will come right out and say, I loved it.  But not everyone did.

It's not especially interesting to just post the title of a film you saw, and that's it.  This is meant to be a discussion board.  Feel free to say what you thought of the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/25/2020 at 5:55 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

When Randle Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) gets transferred for evaluation from a prison farm to a mental institution, he assumes it will be a less restrictive environment. But the martinet Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) runs the psychiatric ward with an iron fist, keeping her patients cowed through abuse, medication and sessions of electroconvulsive therapy. The battle of wills between the rebellious McMurphy and the inflexible Ratched soon affects all the ward's patients.

The film won a lot of awards, and it's known for being the film debut of Brad Dourif, Christopher Lloyd, and Danny DeVito.

Well, good, that's a start.

But ...aside from the plot synopsis -- what did you think of it?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night I watched (re-watched) Tootsie.  I always felt that Dustin Hoffman's character mistreated Teri Garr (Sandy).  Some funny scenes, especially when Dorothy (Dustin/Michael) baby sits for Jessica Lange so that she can go out with Dabney Coleman.  Also, having watched soaps over the years, some of the story lines, etc. shows that they knew their subject.  On Thanksgiving, I love watching the dog shows (but the basset keeps getting passed over).  Also, just found a short clip on You Tube of the Bob Newhart Show Thanksgiving episode (moo goo gai pan by the truckload).  Another video has Newhart discussing why, except for the final episode, it is the most fondly remembered episode.

If you like dog shows, and you like movies, you might  enjoy  Best in Show.  It's a truly funny fake documentary about a dog show.  It does kind of mock them, but not in a mean way, in fact, I'd say it was an affectionate good-natured tribute to dog shows.  But the filmmakers have a lot of fun with the characters who enter their beloved dogs in the show, and there are all sorts of side-stories.  It's really entertaining and funny.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok, you saw The Wolf of Wall Street.  But what did you think of it?  This is a film that generated a certain degree of controversy when it came out.  I will come right out and say, I loved it.  But not everyone did.

It's not especially interesting to just post the title of a film you saw, and that's it.  This is meant to be a discussion board.  Feel free to say what you thought of the film.

19 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, good, that's a start.

But ...aside from the plot synopsis -- what did you think of it?  

I really enjoyed both movies.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

If you like dog shows, and you like movies, you might  enjoy  Best in Show.  It's a truly funny fake documentary about a dog show.  It does kind of mock them, but not in a mean way, in fact, I'd say it was an affectionate good-natured tribute to dog shows.  But the filmmakers have a lot of fun with the characters who enter their beloved dogs in the show, and there are all sorts of side-stories.  It's really entertaining and funny.

I love Best in Show!! 

"That's a bear in a bee costume"

"We have so much in common, we both love soup and snow peas..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Green Hell (1940)

Standard jungle adventure from Universal about a hunt for Inca treasure, distinguished by an above average cast of stars.

Douglas Fairbanks Jr. plays the intrepid leader of the group of adventurers, barking orders as they venture into Amazon jungles. Comprising the all star collection are George Sanders as a Brit who enjoys singing Home On The Range, Alan Hale as a scientist (sporting some kind of accent), John Howard, George Bancroft and Vincent Price as a mysterious stranger who joins the group at the last minute. Later, rather incredulously, joining this motley collection will be the wife (Joan Bennett) of one of the men, suffering from jungle fever just in time to learn that her husband has been killed by natives.

This proves rather convenient for the film's romantic story line as Fairbanks and Bennett soon become interested in one another. But that, in turn, is one of the problems of this film inasmuch as as much screen time is devoted to a tepid romance as it is to any adventure. James Whale, curiously, directed this project, which adds to its overall disappointment because it is such a generally undistinguished film, despite the cast. Sets left over from Universal's The Mummy's Hand were utilized here, including the giant stone staircase that high priest George Zucco rolled down after getting shot in that film.

green-hell-1.jpeg

On a personal note regarding this film years ago a friend contacted me after he had had correspondence with Douglas Fairbanks in which the actor stated he was looking for copies of his films, and Green Hell was one that had eluded him. My friend knew I had a video tape of this production so I made a second generation copy of it which he sent to the actor. I'm afraid the quality of that copy was not very good. Years later I read an autobiography of Fairbanks, Salad Days, in which he referred to Green Hell as being about his worst film. I always hoped that Fairbanks hadn't come to that conclusion because of the quality of the print we sent him.

MV5BZWMxMTY5YWEtOGY0MC00YzQ1LTkzNmUtNDEy

2.5 out of 4

• Like 3

As an aside, some of the movies you watch sound so interesting.  I would like to see Best in Show from beginning to end.  Christopher Guest is very talented (and married to Jamie L. Curtis - she isn't so bad herself).  I keep falling asleep lately, but I found August  Osage County was extremely depressing and probably played better on the stage.  When I woke up, watched Meryl as Miranda in Devil Wears Prada.  A few interesting facts (and the hosts of the movie were annoying - spoiling scenes before they were shown)... Except for the young designer, the magazine had zippo people of color (Andrea's girlfriend was black).  And here is a great suggestion for anyone going on an interview:  onion bagel?  Even if she was interviewing for a literary magazine or even a secretarial, retail, etc. job.  Unless you plan to brush your teeth, it is a no-no.  Last night started watching Emily Blunt and Amy Adams in Sunshine Cleaning (they clean up crime scenes).  Missed some of it, but it was something I've never seen and how will I know if I don't try.

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Best in Show!! 

"That's a bear in a bee costume"

"We have so much in common, we both love soup and snow peas..."

And the late great Fred Willard doing a hilarious take off on Joe Garagiola's  inane color commentary.  One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

And the late great Fred Willard doing a hilarious take off on Joe Garagiola's  inane color commentary.  One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Yes.  Fred Willard was hilarious in that movie.  I also loved John Michael Higgins and Michael McKean as the flamboyant gay couple who love old movies and being catty. 

The whole film is hilarious.  It's probably my second favorite of Christopher Guest's films after This is Spinal Tap. 

• Like 1

Directv are giving free HBO / Starz ,etc for the Thanksgiving holiday / weekend.

Just watched "Rambo" (2008) for the first time (believe it or not) Sure is gory.

Couldn't help to laugh at the beheading  scene because a banned TCM poster used it to compare  User / moderator and administrator. 

Oh there's the banned ****h scene. :lol:

rambo.jpg?w=863&h=1&crop=1

I kept that gif..

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Saw The Fog last night. Not a bad ghost story, but not as coheseviv e as I would have liked. Still it was great to see Janet Leigh.

THE FOG isnt actually a made for TV movie that got a theatrical release somehow... but it REALLY seems like it is.

What is the space in “cohesive” intentional irony or happy accident?

Either way I say leave it.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE FOG isnt actually a made for TV movie that got a theatrical release somehow... but it REALLY seems like it is.

Even since it was released, The Fog still gets a lot of guff from fans expecting, nay demanding, that John Carpenter direct Halloween for the rest of his career.

It's not bad for what it is, it just had a lot of bad front-loading.

• Thanks 1