Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I liked Too Late for Tears because I'm a fan of Duryea  (he is in a kind of funny noir film with Edward E. Horton)

This after, I watched Something to Talk About.  Too many commercials.

Tonight, one of the channels I get is running Jagged Edge (first time I noticed Peter Coyote).

The film with Duryea and Horton is the Durbin film Lady on a Train.    More comedy than noir but still a good film.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

She Devil (1957) Mari Blanchard, Jack Kelly, Albert Dekker. 

Low-budget, Grade XYZ 1950s sci-fi flick. Our good buddy Albert Dekker, the preeminent practitioner

of the leather and rubber school of acting, is back. He plays a doctor/mentor to young doc hot shot

Jack Kelly. Kelly has come up with a almost miraculous serum made from fruit flies (!).  After experimenting

on a number of animals he's ready to try it out on a human animal. Mari Blanchard is a patient who is

dying of TB. Kelly shoots her up and she recovers from her TB almost instantaneously and can also recover

from wounds and later on is able to change her hair color. Feeling on top of the world, Mari takes her

hubris and bullet bra into the outside world. Her first act is to shoplift an expensive dress. Hmmmm. Could

the old fruit fly cocktail be giving her delusions of grandeur. But Kelly is too busy falling for Mari. Unfortunately

for Jack, she becomes interested in a rich sugar daddy and gets him to divorce his wife and marry her. Cut to

the country cabin a month later and Mari is already bored with money bags. And frankly he is a pencil-mustachioed

bore. To get rid of the guy Mari forces the car they are riding in down a hill, knowing that the fruit fly special

will protect her from serious injury. Not so for her hubby, who dies in the crash. All this time Al and Jack, who

still has the hots for this she devil, realize she has been up to no good. They decide to do a reverse fruit fly

serum operation, hoping Mari will return to being a fairly normal person. Sadly things don't work out and

Mari dies. Using fruit fly serum to  create a she devil is one of those things that should be left to the Higher

Power and not to mortal man, though these two boffins never come out and say so. Pretty typical low grade

sci fi fare with only a few moments of unintended comedy to ease this gunk down your eyeballs. And it only

runs 77 minutes, which is about 27 minutes 2 long. Alert~Not to be confused with The She Creature or She

Demons, though those likely suck too. (How did I forget this--Blossom Rock, who is best known for playing

Grandmama on the old Addams Family TV show has a supporting role as Dekker's wise-cracking

housekeeper. I didn't recognize her so much by her looks as by her distinctive voice).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

One of the interesting things about this film is how a wise guy who thinks he's pretty tough (Dan Duryea) turns out to be not nearly as tough or cold blooded as a woman with whom he becomes obsessed. As he becomes increasingly dependent upon alcohol in his downward spiral his character turns from nasty to pathetic, almost to the point of audience sympathy for him at the very end.

Too Late for Tears may be Lizabeth Scott's finest moment in the movies but it also has one of the best performances of Dan Duryea's career. He brings a lot to this noir.

 

His performance is wonderfully nuanced. His moment of: "what do I do now?" when she does not act as expected during their first meeting is so subtle but so definitely there. Her downward spiral makes her harder and its dragging him down with her makes him weaker. Their scenes together are truly excellent. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackpot (1960)

 

A man deported from England after serving time for a crime returns to collect his share of the loot. He has to go to great lengths to get what is owed to him.

This is a very tight crime drama. It shares many elements of a noir except that the women are unexceptional and there are no innocent people being drawn into crime. 

William Hartnell is given star billing but has a relatively small role. Stalwart B-movie actor George Mikell is the lead and gives an excellent performance.

7.5/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

His performance is wonderfully nuanced. His moment of: "what do I do now?" when she does not act as expected during their first meeting is so subtle but so definitely there. Her downward spiral makes her harder and its dragging him down with her makes him weaker. Their scenes together are truly excellent. 

I'm a fan of Dan Duryea. His performance in Too Late For Tears is memorable inasmuch as he plays a sleazy guy who turns out to have more scruples than the leading lady. He brings a touching vulnerability to the role of a not particularly nice guy. Duryea was not afraid to play a chiseler who turns into a weakling.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vautrin said:

She Devil (1957) Mari Blanchard, Jack Kelly, Albert Dekker. Low-budget, Grade XYZ 1950s sci-fi flick. Alert~Not to be confused with The She Creature or She Demons, though those likely suck too. 

I cannot speak for SHE-DEMONS, but your hunch in re: THE SHE CREATURE is 100% on the money. It was featured on one of my favorite SCI-FI CHANNEL ERA episodes of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, so I have seen it (in that possibly edited) version NUMEROUS times. CHESTER MORRIS and LANCE FULLER are both especially bad in it. Sadly, FRIEDA INESCORT- who was an excellent actress is in it too.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TomJH said:

I'm a fan of Dan Duryea. His performance in Too Late For Tears is memorable inasmuch as he plays a sleazy guy who turns out to have more scruples than the leading lady. He brings a touching vulnerability to the role of a not particularly nice guy. Duryea was not afraid to play a chiseler who turns into a weakling.

I am sorry to have to admit that I am not a fan of his. It is not because I do not like him. It is because I do not watch most of the movies in which he appeared because the genre or subject are not to my taste and he has small roles only in the few movies I do watch. He was superb in: Too Late for Tears (1949) and so I know that he was a great actor but no one actor can make westerns or melondramas interesting for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I cannot speak for SHE-DEMONS, but your hunch in re: THE SHE CREATURE is 100% on the money. It was featured on one of my favorite SCI-FI CHANNEL ERA episodes of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, so I have seen it (in that possibly edited) version NUMEROUS times. CHESTER MORRIS and LANCE FULLER are both especially bad in it. Sadly, FRIEDA INESCORT- who was an excellent actress is in it too.

 

Well, judging from that short excerpt, The Sea Creature plays like Chekhov compared to She Demon, which would

be a perfect candidate for MST 3000. I forgot to mention that the visual quality of the upload on You Tube is awful,

but that seems to go with the all-around awfulness of the film itself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched Die Hard 2: Die Harder.

I'd seen it only once before, nearly 30 years ago so thought I'd watch it again. I really enjoy Bruce Willis movies generally.

Not nearly as good as the first Die Hard, but fun anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell Me In The Sunlight (1965)

Steve Cochran's final film, a low budget production shot on location in Nassau which the actor also produced and directed.

Clearly influenced by European filmmakers (Cochran had delivered a quite remarkable performance eight years earlier in Antonioni's Il Grido), this modest production is about as far from mainstream Hollywood as you can get. Cochran plays a cargo ship sailor at loose ends in Nassau. Lonely and looking for a little action he wanders through a sin strip section of the city, finally meeting a very pretty woman who turns out to be a headlining stripper in a local hot spot. Clearly a smooth pickup guy, Cochran doesn't want this encounter to be just another hit and run with a stranger and the girl feels the same way, hoping their encounter can be a meaningful one without rushing into the sex.

Screenshot+%25287381%2529.png

This is a film that manages to be sleazy, as well as oddly endearing. Cochran's weathered appearance is perfect for his role and his performance is completely convincing. In the role of the stripper girlfriend Shary Marshall delivers a remarkably natural performance that should have led to better opportunities in her acting career. There will be, however, a scene of forced sex in the film that is uncomfortable to view. It has been reported that two endings had been filmed for the production, with the one that Cochran preferred not making it into the final cut.

Soon after completing this production Cochran decided to scout locations off Guatemala on his yacht, getting two girls (one of them under aged) and a woman to accompany him. There would be a storm, however, with a mask on the yacht snapping. While trying to repair it Cochran became ill and soon after died of a lung infection. None of the women aboard knew anything about sailing and the yacht drifted for days before washing up in Guatemala. There were rumours of foul play regarding Cochran, with no evidence ever produced to prove same.

In any event, Tell Me In The Sunlight was not released until two years after his 1965 death, quickly disappearing at the box office and, with it, any chance of Shary Marshall's performance being noticed. The film is an interesting curiosity piece, a bit of a walk on the Nassau wild side, with an unexpectedly sweet story about two lonely people finding love mixed in. Cochran clearly had skill as a filmmaker, with this little drama now providing teasing hints of what might have been if he had lived longer. The actor, known for his carousing, womanizing lifestyle, was 48.

And, in what can now be seen as a moment of ironic foreshadowing, early in the film during his initial meeting with the girl, Cochran has one line of dialogue that strikes home.

"That's one thing I don't have too much of - time."

MV5BMjA2NDI5NTg2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzMw

2.5 out of 4

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all-I just requested TOO LATE FOR TEARS from my library.

Even though I didn't care for MANK 2020, all radio reviews & others on this board have favorable opinions. I'll give it another look in about 6 months or so, just to see off my opinion changes. It certainly did with my next viewing.....

THE APARTMENT 1960 directed by genius Billy Wilder and starring Jack Lemmon & Shirley MacLaine. I fist saw this about a decade ago and didn't like it very much-unusual that I wouldn't like a Wilder film. In retrospect, it's most likely a factor of the storyline-I don't find infidelity funny-so I most likely just didn't get into the story or was annoyed first viewing.

I watched this last night and just rolled with the boss' rendezvous-almost the same way you suspend your disbelief in a musical. I just took the bosses antics as a plot point not to be taken seriously, it's not really the main focus of the story, just the "set up" of the story. It was especially easy since the trysts were pretty comical anyway.

As most of you know (since everyone's seen this a million times) the comedy takes a dark turn halfway through which (on paper) seems impossible to recover from, going back to a lighthearted comedy. But somehow the strength of the two main charactors brings you through the story to the inevitable, poignant  ending. An amazing feat from Wilder & his writing partner IAL Diamond. I was reminded of the ending of WHEN HARRY MET SALLY which I'm sure is an homage to this.

The great writing is matched by all top notch performances, most notably smarmy Fred MacMurray & his goofy managers. You can't take your eyes off of MacLaine who delivers an incredible performance. It's one of those cases where you always know you're watching MacLaine, but you really believe all this is happening to her. She never gets her due as the fabulous talent she is. Lemmon is his typical cute, clever bachelor self, and his great talent can easily be taken for granted too. This is a great looking movie, well photographed, lit, set & costumed. But it's the clever writing & lead actors make this GREAT.

large-screenshot1.jpg

still-of-jack-lemmon-and-shirley-maclain

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dames Don't Care (Les femmes s'en balancent) (1954) French-Italian Noir

Les_femmes_s%2527en_balancent_poster.jpg

The 3rd Lemmy Caution flick. 

Like the first directed again by Bernard Borderie. The writing credits are Bernard Borderie for the adaptation of  Peter Cheyney's novel. Additional dialogue was by Jacques Vilfrid and Bernard Borderie. Cinematography was by Jacques Lemare. Music was by Paul Misraki.

The film is has an interesting balance of Noir, picaresque humor and a hard boiled detective mystery with a big dose of surreal Italian Modern atmosphere with a little dash of kitsch. 
 
Again Lemmy Caution is a great addition to the pantheon of great Film Noir P.I.'s A character who can be described as an amalgamation of Sam Spade, Phillip Marlowe, and Mike Hammer and putting that i in a blender with whiskey, and the early 60s versions of spies 007 and Matt Helm. The two female leads are both full figured broads, Nadia Gray as Henrietta Aymes is more old school traditional looking, while Dominique Wilms as Paulette Burdell gives off an Anita Ekberg vibe. The rest of the cast is quite adequate. The cinematography was good and the score adequate. Watch for the running gags with the waiter at the Casa Antica and the blaring car horn.
 
Available to stream on Amazon Prime in an English language release. A fun flick, could use a good restoration, 7/10.  Full Review in TCM Film Noir/Gangster Pages.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I fist saw this about a decade ago and didn't like it very much-unusual that I wouldn't like a Wilder film. In retrospect, it's most likely a factor of the storyline-I don't find infidelity funny-so I most likely just didn't get into the story or was annoyed first viewing.

This is exactly the same reason my wife doesn't like Kiss Me Stupid.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried watching THE UNDERTAKER AND HIS PALS (1967) which was featured on TCM UNDERGROUND THIS WEEKEND.

I made it maybe 30 minutes in.

I was reminded of the MANOS episode of MST 3K where both TV'S FRANK and DR FORRESTER show up individually during the feature to apologize, "I mean, I know it's our job to send you bad movies, but this time I think we went a little too far..."

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every now and then, The sadistic masochist within me decides to watch something made since 2000 just to drive home how utterly bankrupt of meaning and decency modern entertainment has become.


I watched one  episode of a Netflix animated series called BIG MOUTH, a very poorly animated, badly written derivation on BOBS BURGERS and FAMILY GUY, Which pulls off the oddly commendable  feat of managing to be even less funny and more offensive than the latter.

Vile swill. 
 

F.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

TOM JONES gets a very unfair rap  as one of the lesser Oscar winners from being the best picture of an otherwise pretty lousy year- 1963.

Just a few hours ago I stumbled across some ranking of the Best Picture winners and I was surprised to see "Tom Jones" near the bottom.  It's a blast!  Finney is so handsome and charming, and then there's all those lusty ladies with heaving bosoms, David Warner being an evil psycho right from the very start of his career...lots of fun.

 

There were a lot of bad Best Picture winners in the early years.  It's scientific fact that the worst Best Picture winner ever was "Cimarron", "Cavalcade" is also pretty terrible, and then there's "The Broadway Melody" but then again most every film in 1929 was bad because the early talkies were bad.  The *creepiest* Best Picture winner ever is surely "Gigi", and I haven't seen "Driving Miss Daisy" since it played in theaters but that film just feels like it would be embarrassing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vidor said:

 then again most every film in 1929 was bad because the early talkies were bad. 

Have you seen Bulldog Drummond, with Ronald Colman? It's a tongue-in-cheek delight. Other than that, I think you're right about 99% of 1929 films.

bulldogdrummond1929_69866_1024x767_11042

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vidor said:

Just a few hours ago I stumbled across some ranking of the Best Picture winners and I was surprised to see "Tom Jones" near the bottom.  It's a blast!  Finney is so handsome and charming, and then there's all those lusty ladies with heaving bosoms, David Warner being an evil psycho right from the very start of his career...lots of fun.There were a lot of bad Best Picture winners in the early years.  It's scientific fact that the worst Best Picture winner ever was "Cimarron", "Cavalcade" is also pretty terrible, and then there's "The Broadway Melody" but then again most every film in 1929 was bad because the early talkies were bad.  The *creepiest* Best Picture winner ever is surely "Gigi", and I haven't seen "Driving Miss Daisy" since it played in theaters but that film just feels like it would be embarrassing.

with you all the way, except I have never seen CAVALCADE and actually I'm all right with DRIVING MISS DAISY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 6:04 AM, TikiSoo said:

THE APARTMENT 1960 directed by genius Billy Wilder and starring Jack Lemmon & Shirley MacLaine. I fist saw this about a decade ago and didn't like it very much-unusual that I wouldn't like a Wilder film. In retrospect, it's most likely a factor of the storyline-I don't find infidelity funny-so I most likely just didn't get into the story or was annoyed first viewing.

 

I believe that you are judging it by modern standards and do not realize how very different all things were at that time. Infidelity in that era involved only stealing kisses and stimulating conversation. Sex was not invented until the end of the Studio Era some years after this movie was made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I believe that you are judging it by modern standards and do not realize how very different all things were at that time. Infidelity in that era involved only stealing kisses and stimulating conversation. Sex was not invented until the end of the Studio Era some years after this movie was made. 

p4794_i_h10_aa.jpg

"Well then, how on earth did we come up with this little bundle between us? No, really, I want to know because Mr.Mayer wouldn't even let us get in the same bed. Where did this kid come from?"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TomJH said:

 

"Well then, how on earth did we come up with this little bundle between us? No, really, I want to know because Mr.Mayer wouldn't even let us get in the same bed. Where did this kid come from?"

Central Casting

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

p4794_i_h10_aa.jpg

"Well then, how on earth did we come up with this little bundle between us? No, really, I want to know because Mr.Mayer wouldn't even let us get in the same bed. Where did this kid come from?"

A drunk stork.   Didn't you watch WB cartoons in your hygiene classes in school?

Goo Goo Goliath (1954) - The Internet Animation Database

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched Truffaut's 1966 version of Fahrenheit 451 again after having done so decades ago.

Such an odd movie in so many ways, yet curiously prescient considering what's happening at this moment in time. Some people think it's sci fi because of it being based on a futuristic Ray Bradbury novel, but it's not really. There's very little science fiction involved. It's actually a movie about a world where censorship of the written word has become absolute.

It kind of stays with you for a while after you finish watching it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...