Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I watched EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982) on TCM.

I don't know why, But I had forgotten that the opening credits have THE MOST MARVELOUS ILLUSTRATED TITLE CARDS, sadly some of my FAVORITES, I could not find online, but here are a couple I can:

[I literally leapt out of my chair, paused my Television and snapped photos with my phone for some of them]

hqdefault.jpg

evil-under-the-sun-1981-opening-1.jpg

evil-under-the-sun-1982--001-anthony-pow

They used to show this on HBO in the 1980's and I loved it almost as much as DEATH ON THE NILE and it is where I learned about COLE PORTER (the use of his songs for the film's soundtrack was a TERRIFIC IDEA.)

technically, yes- it is an example on the part of multiple parties (even Christie herself with the source novel) returning to the same well once too often- for both novel and film are very very very obviously retreads of DEATH ON THE NILE...But Oh the style of it all!

And while part of me wishes they had gone in a different direction for this third installment- maybe a JAWS 3, PEOPLE 0 outright parody of the genre- or (more wisely) an adaptation of FIVE LITTLE PIGS (retitled of course)- which is probably the most humanistic and grounded  of the Poirot novels- there is still something marvelous about a poodle-permed MAGGIE SMITH in primary colors and DIANA RIGG spitting lines like "THE B!TCH, DAPHNE!" and NICHOLAS CLAY'S LOWER BUTT CHEEKS and the fact that almost every frame of this film is GORGEOUS...

Although I will say I did not like the main interior :HOTEL LOBBY" set at all, it looked like something out of SOAPDISH.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Evil+Under+the+Sun+-+Title+rigg.jpg

I always thought these looked like title cards from a BBC television programme of that era, which is not necessarily a bad thing...

Maybe it's the font.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

patrick-redfern-e1428662731853.jpg

i'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that THERE IS A SLIGHTLY GAY UNDERTONE TO THIS STORY.

Depends on one's personal perspective.   E.g. My wife doesn't think so.

• Haha 1

The Man Between (1953)

Director Carol Reed returns to the moody ambience that he had masterminded four years earlier with The Third Man with this post WWII thriller set in Berlin.

Claire Bloom plays a naive English woman who arrives to visit her brother, now married to a Berliner (Hildegarde Neff) who, while outwardly pleasant, holds troubling secrets. Soon appearing on the scene is James Mason, as a mysterious East Berliner, also outwardly pleasant, who has some kind of relationship to Neff.

After an interesting, if slightly meandering, first half, this film really starts to take off as a taut thriller following a kidnapping. The real stars of the film are its dramatic visuals, many of them set at night, with the same striking photography, this time by Desmond Dickinson, full of odd off centre Dutch angles, that had so memorably distinguished The Third Man. The cast is generally impressive, in particular Mason as the film's charming, morally ambiguous Harry Lime-like character. Shot on location in the ruins of post war Berlin, along with interior shots taken at Shepperton Studios in London, the two blend seamlessly together, excluding some obvious rear screen projection at the film's climax, to create a memorable exercise in moody suspense.

The+Man+Between+canted+Stalin.jpg

One wishes that the film's script might have been as impressive as the performances and the photography. Something else that the film lacks, when compared to The Third Man, is that film's oddly effective dark humour, which so effectively complemented the suspense and mystery elements of its tale.

If The Man Between falls short of being a classic, it still remains a film of distinction and visual bravura, and must rank as one of the better films in James Mason's career.

the-man-between

The-Man-Between_3-1024x576.jpg

EShjo0gUYAAPwOC.jpg

3 out of 4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last night I watched Murder by Death (I saw it before).  Great cast and I'll forgive Peter Sellers his Charlie Chan (actually Hawaiian) impression.  Neil Simon, who had something to do with the script, even pokes fun at the way he speaks.  It was a spoof on popular movie/book detectives.  And, spoiler alert, how can you have Sir Alec G. in a film and not let him have some great lines at the end of the film (also Nancy Walker).  One thing that wasn't addressed (or I missed it) was whether there was tension between Peter S. and David Niven.  David Niven, from what I have heard, did not like being upstaged by Sellers in The Pink Panther.  Truman Capote, who was quite good looking when he was young and was the source of two good movies, was pretty lousy.

• Thanks 1

Just finished JEOPARDY On the MOVIES network. It isn't bad. They billed it as noir, but I don't think it really qualifies. Some think if a film is B&W, made in the late 40s or early 50s and has a criminal in it, then it's film noir.  Anyway, Barbara Stanwyck, Barry Sullivan and Ralph Meeker all do a great job.  While it's pretty easy to predict how it ends (another reason I don't think it's noir) it is entertaining.  Stanwyck is one of those actors that rarely if ever make a bad film. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Just finished JEOPARDY On the MOVIES network. It isn't bad. They billed it as noir, but I don't think it really qualifies. Some think if a film is B&W, made in the late 40s or early 50s and has a criminal in it, then it's film noir.  Anyway, Barbara Stanwyck, Barry Sullivan and Ralph Meeker all do a great job.  While it's pretty easy to predict how it ends (another reason I don't think it's noir) it is entertaining.  Stanwyck is one of those actors that rarely if ever make a bad film. 

Also watched this on MOVIES as well.   First time I've seen it (which is very uncommon for a Stanwyck film since I made it a mission to see every film she was in over 30 years ago).

Clearly not a film noir but MOVIES tends to feature a lot of borderline films (i.e. much more crime dramas (or should that be dramas with a crime), on Film Noir Sunday or Film Noir Thursday.     Still as you note entertaining.

Jeopardy (1953) - IMDb

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YOU CANNOT MAKE AN OMELET WITHOUT BREAKING SOME EGGS- ANY COOK WILL TELL YOU THAT!!!

Communism was just a red herring!

• Thanks 1

Jeopardy (film) - Wikipedia

Ralph Meeker was pretty hunky in Jeopardy.  I wouldn't have blamed Barbara if she'd left Barry Sullivan at the beach and ran off with Ralph! Hubba Hubba! 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

poor RONEE BLAKELY- I imdbed her and her follow up feature to NASHVILLE was- get this Larry Buchanan’s “From the private files of J Edgar Hoover” Which TCM has shown recently and which a few of us will gladly attest is A BREATHTAKINGLY  AMATEUR effort- Actually I take that back, there was no effort involved. At least I hope not, MAN is it BAD!!

I guess she just had a hard time getting work for some reason.

She of course played the mother in the original “nightmare on Elm Street” though so, there’s that

The year that Ronee Blakely was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role of Barbara Jean in Nashville,  the camera person  zoomed in on Susan Sarandon by mistake  instead of Ronee Blakely  during the part where the five nominees are all  shown on screen!  I guess the two women do have similar facial features, but still . . . 

This was the year that Lee Grant won for Shampoo.    

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Nobody's perfect

Can I interest any of you in fruit or dessert?

PS- And on this fateful day, the long-standing And immensely popular “I just watched” thread ceased to be about movies we just watched and became a thread recapping the script of the movie CLUE, and all were happy, And there was great rejoicing in the land...

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Can I interest any of you in fruit or dessert?

PS- And on this fateful day, the long-standing And immensely popular “I just watched” thread ceased to be about movies we just watched and became a thread recapping the script of the movie CLUE, and all were happy, And there was great rejoicing in the land...

I couldn't resist the reference to Some Like it Hot. I should have used it in reply to one of your posts the other day but I don't think about it till way too late. 

I will try to watch a movie in the next day or two and write a few lines about it, just to earn my keep. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I couldn't resist the reference to Some Like it Hot. I should have used it in reply to one of your posts the other day but I don't think about it till way too late. 

I will try to watch a movie in the next day or two and write a few lines about it, just to earn my keep. 

OH! 

I’m getting old and smoking too much weed to get through the Trump administration, I totally didn’t realize that was from “some like it hot“, I thought it was from CLUE!!!

Man I have really lost some gray cells in the last four years, because I have seen both films over 20 times (and I’ve seen CLUE at least 5 times that!)

I hang my head in shame! 

ps- That quote fits perfectly though, almost makes me sad they didn’t work it in to one of the three endings of CLUE!

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH! 

I totally didn’t realize that was from “some like it hot“, I thought it was from CLUE!!!

Then it wouldn't have been as bon a mot as I thought. I feel better. 

• Thanks 1