Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I think Jennings is doing fine.  And JEOPARDY is to me like FAMILY FEUD in that I generally don't care who the host is( on Feud anyway) I just like the game.  And I want to guess the Jeopardy clues too, and the show has given me the mix of being surprised at how much I know, while at the same time reminding me how much I DON'T know!  ;)  And I give Jennings credit for having the courage to step into those enormous shoes Alex left behind.   Anyway( on the "just watched" front.....)

The other night I watched this excellent episode of AMERICAN MASTERS on PBS.

https://www.pbs.org/video/diahann-carroll-outtake-d89el6/?continuousplayautoplay=true

About the history of black female entertainers in America during the 20th century, and how some made breakthroughs, and some, like Abbey  Lincoln  and Nina Simone used their celebrity to become activists.  My only issue was they overlooked the career of African-American  dancer/actress/singer/French resistance fighter/civil rights activist JOSEPHINE BAKER.  centering instead on more contemporary figures like LENA HORNE, Ms. Lincoln, Ms. Simone, DIAHANN CARROLL , PAM GRIER .   I meant to post about this earlier but got tied up in other threads with other issues.  ;) 

Sepiatoe

there's a movie coming out called THE UNITED STATES VS. BILLIE HOLIDAY (on HULU? NETFLIX?) don't know if it's any good, but it might interest you.

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there's a movie coming out called THE UNITED STATES VS. BILLIE HOLIDAY (on HULU? NETFLIX?) don't know if it's any good, but it might interest you.

Originally it was to be released by Paramount, but Hulu bought the distribution rights to it in December 2020.

Release date is 26 February.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Originally it was to be released by Paramount, but Hulu bought the distribution rights to it in December 2020.

Release date is 26 February.

THANK YOU!

I might even check it out myself, but as a BIG LADY DAY FAN, I don't think she or her story can really be truly captured by anyone.

50 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THANK YOU!

I might even check it out myself, but as a BIG LADY DAY FAN, I don't think she or her story can really be truly captured by anyone.

Have you seen Audra McDonald in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill?

26 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Have you seen Audra McDonald in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill?

No, all I’ve seen is LADY SINGS THE BLUES (1972) and read the “autobiography “ Holiday “cowrote” with William Duffy,  but it’s my understanding neither is terribly accurate. 

Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again (1982)

Bess Armstrong embodies goodness and mercy, wholesome family values and the power of pure sweet love to conquer any challenge. 

This movie has none of that twaddle. Here she has the intelligence and morals of a leech. Her engagement to a brilliant young surgeon is conditional on him raking in big fees from cutting people open and will quickly end if he abandons it for pure research. Her only trace of naïveté is that she does not suspect that deep inside her upright and uptight Dr. Jekyll is the sex-addled cocaine-fiend Mr. Hyde.

The writers and director co-opted the: Airplane (1980) format of continuous jokes to overshadow the weakness of any one of them. The differences are that the jokes here are all crude, rude and tasteless and very few are truly funny on their own. It is in many ways the frat-boy version of the spate of 1980s satires/parodies/nearly surreal humor movies.

Tagline: "They told Dr. Jekyll to take his amazing scientific discovery & shove it up his nose. So he did."

Typical humor:
Mr. Hyde: I'm a drug crazed beast with a giant erection that won't go away no matter how many times I do it. You're a nurse. What can you give me for it?
Nurse: I can give you sixty dollars and my wedding ring.

They blissfully left out any of the gore or spouting blood prevalent in many medical comedies. The only nudity is his rear when he moons a nun and a flash of a nurse's breast. Depictions of sex are limited to setting up the scene and then cutting to the aftermath. Connecting the dots is left to the viewer's imagination. It helps if the viewer has previous experience in needing a case of champagne, a Nazi uniform and a sheep.

I liked this movie very much despite its flaws. I admit that I very nearly did laugh a few times. 

7.4/10

Available for viewing for free with ads on: Crackle.

b9kShKq.jpg

• Thanks 1

Took a chance, nothing else was on, "The Wolverine".  Better than expected but felt some deja vu with another guy trying to kill his rescuer like in "1917".

Wow fighting on top of a Bullet train, is that possible? 

the-wolverineflv-thumb6.jpg?itok=cA9UkZb

44 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Took a chance, nothing else was on, "The Wolverine".  Better than expected but felt some deja vu with another guy trying to kill his rescuer like in "1917".

Wow fighting on top of a Bullet train, is that possible? 

the-wolverineflv-thumb6.jpg?itok=cA9UkZb

If a man can have retractable claws, then it's possible to fight on top of a bullet train.

18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

My only issue was they overlooked the career of African-American  dancer/actress/singer/French resistance fighter/civil rights activist JOSEPHINE BAKER.  centering instead on more contemporary figures

Ugh thank you for mentioning that! Josephine Baker's huge contribution to WW2 and later US anti-racism Activist are astounding compared to any contemporary entertainer. Baker was a pilot and routinely smuggled people between France & African continent during WW2. (she wouldn't be able to do that if she didn't flee the US for France)

I understand she was Martin Luther King Jr's choice as his successor but for some reason she refused. (maybe fear?) Even in her personal life she adopted children from all nations & backgrounds calling them The Rainbow Tribe, illustrating there is no difference between people. 

I am so afraid her incredible achievements will soon be forgotten. And your recap of American Masters not including ANY of her story indicates that may  happen.

josephine-baker1944paris.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Murder She Said Poster

Murder She Said (1961) TCM -7/10

Amatuer sleuth Miss Jane Marple (Margaret Rutherford) sees a murder, can't convince the police it happened and goes undercover as a maid to investigate on her own.

I just saw this for the first time, Rutherford was a delight as the fussy busybody who also has a sharp mind for solving crimes. Even though the protagonist is an elderly lady the film is fast moving and keeps you guessing. It gets started right away with the murder happening in the first 5 minutes. There are many suspects in the house where Miss Marple gets the job. Arthur Kennedy is the biggest name in the supporting cast as a town doctor. There is a light hearted feel to this and many funny moments. Mr Stringer (Stringer Davis) is a character created for the film as Miss Marple's librarian friend who she pulls into her investigation. Funniest moment for me was when Miss Marple meets a precocious young nephew at the house. After she introduces herself as the new maid he says " I was hoping more for a Jayne Mansfield type!"

• Like 2

Murder at the Gallop Poster

Murder At The Gallop (1963) TCM- 7/10

Miss Marple investigates what she thinks is a murder when a man is frightened to death.

Second Miss Marple film with Margaret Rutherford. This  has even more comedy than the Murder She Said. Most of the action takes place at a hotel for equestrians. Robert Morley is his usual droll self as one of the suspects. We get to see him and Rutherford riding horses in this, with Rutherford riding side saddle. There a dance at the hotel and the most hilarious scene is when Miss Marple and Mr Stringer do the twist! The ending came as a surprise and is typical Agatha Christie.

• Like 2

Last night, almost immediately after the opening credits (note - Joan Hickson, listed as minor player, later was one of PBS's Miss Marples), my Spectrum it only wanted to carry a few channels.  So it was Blue Blood repeats and then Law & Order repeats.

I did watch the Inauguration yesterday.  I liked some of the performances but not others.  I'm glad Mrs. Biden chose two American designers and I think Kamala Harris will make pearls fashionable again.  Personally, didn't care for Jennifer Lopez's rendition of This Land is Your Land.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Murder She Said Poster

Murder She Said (1961) TCM -7/10

Amatuer sleuth Miss Jane Marple (Margaret Rutherford) sees a murder, can't convince the police it happened and goes undercover as a maid to investigate on her own.

I just saw this for the first time, Rutherford was a delight as the fussy busybody who also has a sharp mind for solving crimes. Even though the protagonist is an elderly lady the film is fast moving and keeps you guessing. It gets started right away with the murder happening in the first 5 minutes. There are many suspects in the house where Miss Marple gets the job. Arthur Kennedy is the biggest name in the supporting cast as a town doctor. There is a light hearted feel to this and many funny moments. Mr Stringer (Stringer Davis) is a character created for the film as Miss Marple's librarian friend who she pulls into her investigation. Funniest moment for me was when Miss Marple meets a precocious young nephew at the house. After she introduces herself as the new maid he says " I was hoping more for a Jayne Mansfield type!"

LOL. That poster doesn't accurately portray what kind of film this is......

• Haha 1
On 1/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I would like to post one more thing about....

EVIL UNDER THE SUN

(I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!)

But the soundtrack is GREAT, and I know we have some music/soundtrack/arrangement fans here. posted below is a great 15 minute SUITE of music from the film, all intermittent pieces of COLE PORTER songs rather cleverly worked into the film (ie I CONCENTRATE ON YOU as POIROT ponder the mystery and MY HEART BELONGS TO DADDY when MRS. REDFERN reveals her true nature at the end of the film)

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND LISTENING TO THE PART THAT BEGINS AT 12:00 EXACTLY, a SUPERB arrangement of JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS (another clever, clever touch) that begins as JANE BIRKIN descends the hotel steps.

I was sorry there was no soundtrack released for the film.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:I think Kamala Harris will make pearls fashionable again.  Personally, didn't care for Jennifer Lopez's rendition of This Land is Your Land.

Were pearls out of fashion and I missed it? 
we are simpatico on Jlo. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Murder at the Gallop Poster

Murder At The Gallop (1963) TCM- 7/10

Miss Marple investigates what she thinks is a murder when a man is frightened to death.

Second Miss Marple film with Margaret Rutherford. This  has even more comedy than the Murder She Said. Most of the action takes place at a hotel for equestrians. Robert Morley is his usual droll self as one of the suspects. We get to see him and Rutherford riding horses in this, with Rutherford riding side saddle. There a dance at the hotel and the most hilarious scene is when Miss Marple and Mr Stringer do the twist! The ending came as a surprise and is typical Agatha Christie.

Yes, I wish that dance scene had been longer....

• Haha 2

I've seen a couple of the Miss Marple movies over the years, but I often forget which title goes with

which plot. I have seen Murder, She Said and Murder Most Foul before and parts of Murder at the

Gallop. Have never seen Murder Ahoy! before. Last night I watched the last three movies. Very

entertaining and witty and Margaret Rutherford is wonderful as Miss Marple. 

• Like 1
On 1/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

DIANA RIGG LOOKS AMAZING

evil-under-the-sun-1982-diana-rigg-date-

You know, I was reading within the last few months that Diana Rigg turned down the Joan Collins- type role on the Dynasty spin-off The Colbys which went to Stephanie Beachum. I wish she had taken it, because the idea of Joan Collins/Diana Rigg confrontations on the final season of Dynasty would have made for great, compulsively watchable television

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Were pearls out of fashion and I missed it? 
we are simpatico on Jlo. 

Even boys are wearing pearls these days....

Style_Pearls_2-19_PROMO.jpg

I tell my self, that when this pandemic is over, I'm going to wear my BEST clothes and lots of jewelry, especially my PEARLS.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Even boys are wearing pearls these days....

Style_Pearls_2-19_PROMO.jpg

I tell my self, that when this pandemic is over, I'm going to wear my BEST clothes and lots of jewelry, especially my PEARLS.

And apparently lacy Buster Brown collars too...