Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People (1963)

c8GHdOl.jpg

A group of wealthy and powerful people are having a pleasant little cruise when they are caught in a storm. The yacht is so damaged that they can do no more than drift for days until they reach a speck of land. They are very short of food and water and little grows on the island but mushrooms. The log of a grounded ship reveals it was involved in researching the effects of atomic radiation. It reveals also that it is not safe to eat any of the mushrooms on the island. 

This is far from the typical Japanese monster-in-a-rubber-suit horror movie. Akira Kubo, Yoshio Tsuchiya and Hiroshi Tachikawa were dedicated actors who appeared in movies directed by Akira Kurosawa.  Kumi Mizuno and Hiroshi Koizumi were popular in a variety of dramas. The majority of the movie concerns the breakdown of social order, personal values and common decency when people need to survive in a dire situation. It exemplifies that humans are the real monsters.

There is near the end some contact with people transformed into mushrooms. The costumes are slightly less cheesy than typical and the cinematography mirrors the surrealism of the incident. 

6.4/8.7

Available for watching free with ads on Tubi and is included with no ads with subscription to: Amazon Prime Video and Flix Fling.

eP2uIgb.jpg

Please note that this is not truly a scene from the movie. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

And apparently lacy Buster Brown collars too...

6 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Even boys are wearing pearls these days....

Style_Pearls_2-19_PROMO.jpg

I tell my self, that when this pandemic is over, I'm going to wear my BEST clothes and lots of jewelry, especially my PEARLS.

Hey, txfilmfan, thanks for knowing that's a Buster Brown collar! I knew there must be a term for it (other than "Huh??").  The sweater is beautiful and the color is perfect. The collar and pearls overshadow it.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

Hey, txfilmfan, thanks for knowing that's a Buster Brown collar! I knew there must be a term for it (other than "Huh??").  The sweater is beautiful and the color is perfect. The collar and pearls overshadow it.

I thought it was a “Peter Pan” collar.
(Seriously, I’m not joking it’s a thing.)

• Like 2

Haha I just wrote a reply it is a scalloped Peter Pan collar then erased it thinking I was being too nit picky. Thanks for beating me to it Lorna!

• Like 1

it's times like this that I simply hate that the [spoiler] function no longer works, because i wish i could hide this ENTIRE POST behind the codicil:

A FEW MORE THINGS ABOUT EVIL UNDER THE SUN

I AM SORRY. I AM COMPELLED.

And then I'll shut up, I swear.

This has been a stressful week for us all, no?  This film took on the role of a BLANKIE or NOOK for me, I turned to it often** between 6-8 hour bouts of flipping between CNN and MSNBC to see whether or not this 2021 DEMOCRACY REBOOT was gonna go to series.

TRUTH: If I could have been on that TYRANNIAN ISLE as a guest of MAGGIE SMITH'S HOTEL, I'd've been on top of the piano singing COLE PORTER so fast!

**I'd rather not discuss how many times I watched it.

And as such, I'd just like to take a moment to really salute all involved and express my gratitude for creating something so gloriously ESCAPIST as this film.

and also to offer one suggestion....

I really wish that the character of "SCRAM, LINDA!" had reacted to the DEATH OF HER WICKED STEPMOTHER ARLENA with a FULL DANCE NUMBER RENDITION of "IT'S DE-LOVELY"  accompanied by MAGGIE SMITH and SYLVIA MILES.

And maybe a moment when she finds out the identity of the murderers and throws herself at their feet WITH THE DEEPEST, WARMEST GRATITUDE ANYONE HAS EVER FELT FOR ANYTHING EVER, and then pleads for them to take her with them.

8168.jpg

I just saw a fascinating documentary on the life of actress Margaret Rutherford-Truly Miss Marple. The Curious Case Of Margaret Rutherford. It is on Youtube, well worth seeing.

She was a true English eccentric, the likes of which probably don't exist much anymore. The tweed wearing, solitary types who love art and literature and spend nights by the fire in their country house. But her life was more bizarre and intriguing than anything Agatha Christie could have come up with.

Her father suffered from mental illness and was confined to an insane asylum after he murdered his own father. Margaret's mother later committed suicide. The young girl was brought up by an aunt who got her into the arts. She did not become a working actress until she was in her 40s, playing older woman since she looked much older than she was. She married late in life (53) to actor Stringer Davis, he was 7 years younger and they remained devoted to each other for the rest of her life. She had said she waited to be married later since she did not want children because she was afraid they would inherit her family' s history of mental illness. She herself suffered from bouts of depression.

She suffered from dementia in her final years and died in 1972 at the age of 80. But the strange story still doesn't end. In a twist worthy of Christie, after Margaret's death and soon after Stringer died as well, the housekeeper forged Margaret's name on a will which had her as sole beneficiary. The police got a call at the house where she claimed there was a burglary, all of Margaret's possessions (including her 1963 Oscar for The VIPS) were stolen. It turns out she had taken them herself and sold them. The Oscar is still missing to this day. She died before she could come to trial on any of this.

So it was strange and sad life for truly unique artist.

Classic Film and TV Café: Margaret Rutherford Goes for a Ride at the Gallop  Hotel

• Thanks 7
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I just saw a fascinating documentary on the life of actress Margaret Rutherford-Truly Miss Marple. The Curious Case Of Margaret Rutherford. It is on Youtube, well worth seeing.

She was a true English eccentric, the likes of which probably don't exist much anymore. The tweed wearing, solitary types who love art and literature and spend nights by the fire in their country house. But her life was more bizarre and intriguing than anything Agatha Christie could have come up with.

Her father suffered from mental illness and was confined to an insane asylum after he murdered his own father. Margaret's mother later committed suicide. The young girl was brought up by an aunt who got her into the arts. She did not become a working actress until she was in her 40s, playing older woman since she looked much older than she was. She married late in life (53) to actor Stringer Davis, he was 7 years younger and they remained devoted to each other for the rest of her life. She had said she waited to be married later since she did not want children because she was afraid they would inherit her family' s history of mental illness. She herself suffered from bouts of depression.

She suffered from dementia in her final years and died in 1972 at the age of 80. But the strange story still doesn't end. In a twist worthy of Christie, after Margaret's death and soon after Stringer died as well, the housekeeper forged Margaret's name on a will which had her as sole beneficiary. The police got a call at the house where she claimed there was a burglary, all of Margaret's possessions (including her 1963 Oscar for The VIPS) were stolen. It turns out she had taken them herself and sold them. The Oscar is still missing to this day. She died before she could come to trial on any of this.

Classic Film and TV Café: Margaret Rutherford Goes for a Ride at the Gallop  Hotel

Truly strange. I remember now about the mental illness in her family. I had read about this, but forgot about it. Thanks for your post. Wonder who ended up with her Oscar?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Thanks for this insight into the troubled life of a delightful screen eccentric, Det. Jim. I had no knowledge of any of this.

P.S.: I now see there is an excellent copy of this documentary on You Tube. I'll be watching it.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, SansFin said:

Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People (1963)

A group of wealthy and powerful people are having a pleasant little cruise when they are caught in a storm. The yacht is so damaged that they can do no more than drift for days until they reach a speck of land. They are very short of food and water and little grows on the island but mushrooms. The log of a grounded ship reveals it was involved in researching the effects of atomic radiation. It reveals also that it is not safe to eat any of the mushrooms on the island. 

This is far from the typical Japanese monster-in-a-rubber-suit horror movie. Akira Kubo, Yoshio Tsuchiya and Hiroshi Tachikawa were dedicated actors who appeared in movies directed by Akira Kurosawa.  Kumi Mizuno and Hiroshi Koizumi were popular in a variety of dramas. The majority of the movie concerns the breakdown of social order, personal values and common decency when people need to survive in a dire situation. It exemplifies that humans are the real monsters.

There is near the end some contact with people transformed into mushrooms. The costumes are slightly less cheesy than typical and the cinematography mirrors the surrealism of the incident. 

6.4/8.7

Available for watching free with ads on Tubi and is included with no ads with subscription to: Amazon Prime Video and Flix Fling.

eP2uIgb.jpg

Please note that this is not truly a scene from the movie. 

I thought possibly a scene from "When the SGT. Pepper  album cover set attacks!"  ;) 

Anyway....   I remember many moons ago the newspaper's TV book listed this movie on it's schedule and described it as....

"A story with a morel."  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 3

I stumbled over PRICK UP YOUR EARS (1987)

un filme dü STEPHEN FREARS and a YIN TO THE YANG of  MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE

prick-up-your-ears-1987-012-alfred-molin

I've always assumed this was a concert film or about a disc jockey, so I've not looked into it- I didn't realize that the title is actually deliciously dirty!

it's kind of a hybrid of SUNSET BLVD and ALL ABOUT EVE starring PETER LORRE from MAD LOVE in the VON STROHEIM role, but gay and British. it's dark, but funny- and a lot better paced (i thought) than LAUNDRETTE- although neither film follows a linear pattern.

GARY OLDMAN and ALFRED MOLINA star as a pair of gay lovers who are aspiring writers, one makes it big, the other doesn't, and BAD THINGS HAPPEN. It comes right up to the edge of FILM NOIR and I liked it. It was no surprise that OLDMAN invested himself 110% into the role, but it has not been until now that I have really understood the fuss over ALFRED MOLINA- who really gives an INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE in a challenging part- he manages to be ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS and UTTERLY PATHETIC and MAD and TERRIFYING all at once.

VANESSA REDGRAVE is Oldman's character's agent and she plays every scene as if she has just come from having one HELL of a session with the shower massager, it's rather marvelous ('NESSA is one of those very RARE actors who I do not care for in their early years, but really like a lot as they grew older and matured. i can't think of any other actress who went so convincingly from playing ICE COLD to being SO WARM onscreen as Vanessa Redgrave)

JULIE WALTERS has, I think, only one scene, but it's GREAT.

Definitely a movie I would recommend for all aspiring writers out there.

(based on a true story as well, I have GOT to look up some of the plays of JOE ORTON now!!!!)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Incredible what???? I saw this when it came out. Based on the biography of playwright Joe Orton.

Re: VANESSA REDGRAVE HAD AN INCREDIBLE ****

Sorry, I was still editing. I’ve had To rework my original sentence to get it past the auto sensor. 

(I think you’ll get the gist now!)

(Also included the detail about Orton since I forgot to mention it sorry.)

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

[there is something postorgasmic about REDGRAVE's line reads was what I was tryin to get across]

LOL!

19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I stumbled over PRICK UP YOUR EARS (1987)

un filme dü STEPHEN FREARS and a YIN TO THE YANG of  MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE

prick-up-your-ears-1987-012-alfred-molin

I've always assumed this was a concert film or about a disc jockey, so I've not looked into it- I didn't realize that the title is actually deliciously dirty!

it's kind of a hybrid of SUNSET BLVD and ALL ABOUT EVE starring PETER LORRE from MAD LOVE in the VON STROHEIM role, but gay and British. it's dark, but funny- and a lot better paced (i thought) than LAUNDRETTE- although neither film follows a linear pattern.

GARY OLDMAN and ALFRED MOLINA star as a pair of gay lovers who are aspiring writers, one makes it big, the other doesn't, and BAD THINGS HAPPEN. It comes right up to the edge of FILM NOIR and I liked it. It was no surprise that OLDMAN invested himself 110% into the role, but it has not been until now that I have really understood the fuss over ALFRED MOLINA- who really gives an INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE in a challenging part- he manages to be ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS and UTTERLY PATHETIC and MAD and TERRIFYING all at once.

VANESSA REDGRAVE is Oldman's character's agent and she plays every scene as if she has just come from having one HELL of a session with the shower massager, it's rather marvelous ('NESSA is one of those very RARE actors who I do not care for in their early years, but really like a lot as they grew older and matured. i can't think of any other actress who went so convincingly from playing ICE COLD to being SO WARM onscreen as Vanessa Redgrave)

JULIE WALTERS has, I think, only one scene, but it's GREAT.

Definitely a movie I would recommend for all aspiring writers out there.

(based on a true story as well, I have GOT to look up some of the plays of JOE ORTON now!!!!)

His diaries are a good read also.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

His diaries are a good read also.

They sound like it from the movie!!!!

There is a HILARIOUS scene where the wife of the writer who is doing a postmortum BIO about ORTON has to hire an elderly British stenographer who looks like MRS DOUBTFIRE to transcribe the many parts of his diary that are in shorthand.

"12:00 pm, went home and had a...wink?
"No dear, that's an A. He went home and had a w ank."

I COULD HAVE WATCHED JUST THAT SCENE FOR AN HOUR!

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

[there is something postorgasmic about REDGRAVE's line reads was what I was tryin to get across]

I love that line of hers in the film, something like "It's a ceremony, dear, not a recipe!"  LOL.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They sound like it from the movie!!!!

There is a HILARIOUS scene where the wife of the writer who is doing a postmortum BIO about ORTON has to hire an elderly British stenographer who looks like MRS DOUBTFIRE to transcribe the many parts of his diary that are in shorthand.

"12:00 pm, went home and had a...wink?
"No dear, that's an A. He went home and had a w ank."

I COULD HAVE WATCHED JUST THAT SCENE FOR AN HOUR!

I've forgotten a lot about the movie over the years.......

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've forgotten a lot about the movie over the years.......

PRICK UP YOUR EARS  is on PLUTO TV (a streaming service) and the bad words and sex and nudity were not edited out (insofar as I could tell) but there were SO MANY COMMERCIALS!!!!

(I actually had to give up, turn it off and go back to it later on few times because there were SO SO SO SO SOOOO MANY COMMERCIALS.)