Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 hours ago, laffite said:

Have you seen THE UNFAITHFUL WIFE? A fave that I go back to from time to time. Shephane Audran has been around and never really disappoints. But it is the work of Michel Bouquet that enthralls. He has a sort of Olivier manner about him. He has much more to do than Shephane. His answer to the possibility that his wife has stepped out in very much in the Hitchcockian vein and plays out accordingly, very engrossing.

I look forward to seeing this one again, which I haven't seen in many years.

5 hours ago, nakano said:

I do not see the name of Claude Chabrol here often.A great director and very prolific.I'am on a binge right now  finishing his complete filmography with 7 to go  all later period,i Had seen many before on the silver screen but i'am a completist... a real master

I'm impressed that you have seen so many Chabrol films. They are not always easy to find, and TCM seems to replay the same titles, as good as they are. I've probably seen about 15 of his films, which isn't many, considering how prolific he was.

• Like 1

Last night I watched the remake of Father of the Bride (I've seen the Spencer Tracy original, which was better).  Still, I enjoyed the film and the two leads:  Diane Keaton and Steve Martin.  It is touching in some parts (especially fathers' having a hard time saying "goodbye" to a married daughter), extremely funny and realistic about wedding planners and the ability of a parent to enjoy their child's wedding (where the cost is growing exponentially).  The sequel (which I can also watch on demand) is just titled Father of the Bride II unlike the sequel to the Tracy version that I believe was called Father's Little Dividend).  No offense to Kimberly Williams (the daughter); however, in the Tracy version, the daughter is played by Elizabeth Taylor.

• Thanks 1

I very recently saw "Let Him Go" with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane. I thought it was a really good and gave you an ending you dont expect (I won't play spoiler).  I highly recommend it! 

Also seen "13 Days" about Benghazi and that was a nail biter as well.  

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

i'm impressed that you have seen so many Chabrol films. They are not always easy to find, and TCM seems to replay the same titles, as good as they are. I've probably seen about 15 of his films, which isn't many, considering how prolific he was.

i am curious whether you or anyone else has seen THE RAVEN/ LE CORBEAU (1943) by HENRI CLOUZOT (SP?)

I read up on it and it sounded really interesting, and i found a good print that was sadly not subtitled, but i was thinking of paying to rent it from amazon.

I checked out SINNER'S HOLIDAY a WARNER BROS VITAPHONE ALL-TALKING MOTION PICTURE! from 1930 on TCM ON DEMAND.

[still THRILLED to PIECES that it's not OSCAR MONTH BTW...]

It was worth watching for three things:

1. JAMES CAGNEY in his FILM DEBUT is SEXUAL ELECTRICITY and has, perhaps, one of his most challenging parts and scenes and he is outstanding; EVEN AT THE ONSET, IT'S CLEAR THAT IF  CAGNEY IS IN THE PICTURE YOU WERE GONNA GET YER NICKEL'S WORTH!!

bt5mXDECGwhgrLk1eAPc3DJU8Lg.jpg

2. JOAN BLONDELL in an early role (maybe her first as well?)- she is a brunette but in all other respects, she is 100% the JOAN BLONDELL we all know and love- WORLD WEARY as ALL GET-OUT.

vlcsnap-00002.jpg&ehk=Yz8unorBdgG26b7Mz2JOAN BLONDELL, not here for your BS since 1930

BUT, most fascinating of all was the performance of 3. LUCILLE LAVERNE as CAGNEY'S MOTHER (and CHIEF DEFENDER)- she would later voice THE WICKED QUEEN/ THE WITCH in Disney’s  SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, and her voice in SINNER'S HOLIDAY sounds MUCH like the one she uses in character as THE WITCH. You can also see that the Disney animators clearly used some of her features for THE WITCH.

she is absolutely outstanding AND THE BEST THING IN THE FILM.

OIP.K3Genwf6feuXGzYHZHiy7gHaFj?pid=ImgDeTHIS CHICK WAS HARDCORE

MOST UNFORTUNATE THOUGH, IT IS TO NOTE THAT CAGNEY and BLONDELL are NOT the FILM'S LEADS, that's two UTTER DEADBEATS played by GRANT WITHERS and some broad whose name I'm not even gonna look up SHE STUNK SO BAD. They both MURDERED every minute they were on screen and it was a DAMN SHAME that it was a 60/40 split with them stealing most of the one hour screen time from JIMMY, JOAN and LUCILLE.

Still an interesting film, a little slow for a Precode, but for those who also like CARNIVAL FILMS, this one will appeal to you.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i am curious whether you or anyone else has seen THE RAVEN/ LE CORBEAU (1943) by HENRI CLOUZOT (SP?)

I read up on it and it sounded really interesting, and i found a good print that was sadly not subtitled, but i was thinking of paying to rent it from amazon.

Le Corbeau is very much worth seeing. Even Truffaut, who did not like Clouzot, said that this was the film that best captured the feeling of life under German occupation during WWII. The Germans let Clouzot make it because, since it's about a town torn apart by poison pen letters, they thought it made the French look bad. However, the French generally saw the analogy to life under the occupation, where people could settle old scores by anonymous letters to the German authorities.

I also liked Le Corbeau better the second time I saw it. There's a remake by Preminger, set in Canada, called The Thirteenth Letter, which is also pretty good even if not so good as the original.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was a DAMN SHAME that it was a 60/40 split with them stealing most of the one hour screen time from JIMMY, JOAN and LUCILLE.

Still an interesting film, a little slow for a Precode, but for those who also like CARNIVAL FILMS, this one will appeal to you.

Takes place in a carnival? I'm on it.

I find it fascinating how clearly apparent Cagney & Blondell were star material, despite the less than starring roles. These are the kind of actors who are great for introducing (& hooking) a newbie to the world of "those old black & white movies".  

• Like 1

After using Hulu as my television/streaming service for almost a year, I switched over to YouTube TV in December.  I originally went with Hulu because of its lower cost, but they raised their monthly fees in December to match YouTube.  Hulu is great for original content shows and has YouTube beat by a mile there, but what prompted my switch was the fact that YouTube carries PBS, and Hulu does not, and I missed the St. Louis PBS affiliate station, which has some of the most loyal viewers of all PBS stations in America.

On Saturday nights, the local PBS station shows a classic film (and repeats it late night on Sunday).  By coincidence, "Avalon" was being shown Saturday night, about 5 hours before it aired on TCM early Sunday morning.  Having never seen the film, I decided to give it a watch.  I don't know if I've reached the status of a 'crusty, old codger', since I just received my first Social Security payment last month, but this film was a disappointment to me.  I might have liked it when it first came out in 1990, but after watching it Saturday night, it resembled something I've seen frequently about immigrant families coming to America and putting down roots.  In this case, it was a Jewish family of Polish heritage who settled in the Baltimore area.  Aside from Aiden Quinn and Lou Jacobi, I didn't recognize hardly anyone else in the cast.  If we were giving letter grade designations to rate films we've watched, I would easily have given this a 'T".  It was Tedious, it was Trite, it was Torture.  After 30 minutes, I switched over to a college basketball game featuring two lousy teams (Washington and California)!  After 5 minutes viewing some bad basketball, I thought I was being unfair to "Avalon", so I went back to it with a more objective approach.

The movie did an excellent job of portraying American life in the late 40's/early 50's as far as sets, costumes, and props were concerned, but the acting just messed up most of the picture for me.  The older adults in the film were just as annoying as the child actors in this one.  I was fine with the 20-30 somethings in the film.  They were more upbeat and positive and willing to roll with the changes much of society was beginning to experience in post-war America.  This film got very good reviews on IMDB (7.2 out of 10), but between all the talk at Thanksgiving about 'cutting the toy-kee' and the girl who was on a continuous loop shouting, "bees, bees,bees"...ad nauseum, I'd have to give it a 4 out of 10.  One good thing I got out of this film was that:  It Scared Me.  It Scared Me Straight.  I hope to God I never turn out to be like the grandparent set as portrayed in this movie.  But, since I nor anyone else control the fates by any stretch of the imagination as we age, I'll keep my fingers crossed (something I can still do!).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

[SINNER'S HOLIDAY] Takes place in a carnival? I'm on it.

Of the CONEY ISLAND variety, not a traveling one. at times you can imagine this is the early story of ZEENA (JOAN BLONDELL'S CHARACTER) in NIGHTMARE ALLEY.

CAGNEY'S mother runs a "penny arcade" where all the games are rigged and "BUCK ROGERS" will find you some liquor at the DANCING GIRLS TENT.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, midwestan said:

After using Hulu as my television/streaming service for almost a year, I switched over to YouTube TV in December.  I originally went with Hulu because of its lower cost, but they raised their monthly fees in December to match YouTube.  Hulu is great for original content shows and has YouTube beat by a mile there, but what prompted my switch was the fact that YouTube carries PBS, and Hulu does not, and I missed the St. Louis PBS affiliate station, which has some of the most loyal viewers of all PBS stations in America.

On Saturday nights, the local PBS station shows a classic film (and repeats it late night on Sunday).  By coincidence, "Avalon" was being shown Saturday night, about 5 hours before it aired on TCM early Sunday morning.  Having never seen the film, I decided to give it a watch.  I don't know if I've reached the status of a 'crusty, old codger', since I just received my first Social Security payment last month, but this film was a disappointment to me.  I might have liked it when it first came out in 1990, but after watching it Saturday night, it resembled something I've seen frequently about immigrant families coming to America and putting down roots.  In this case, it was a Jewish family of Polish heritage who settled in the Baltimore area.  Aside from Aiden Quinn and Lou Jacobi, I didn't recognize hardly anyone else in the cast.  If we were giving letter grade designations to rate films we've watched, I would easily have given this a 'T".  It was Tedious, it was Trite, it was Torture.  After 30 minutes, I switched over to a college basketball game featuring two lousy teams (Washington and California)!  After 5 minutes viewing some bad basketball, I thought I was being unfair to "Avalon", so I went back to it with a more objective approach.

The movie did an excellent job of portraying American life in the late 40's/early 50's as far as sets, costumes, and props were concerned, but the acting just messed up most of the picture for me.  The older adults in the film were just as annoying as the child actors in this one.  I was fine with the 20-30 somethings in the film.  They were more upbeat and positive and willing to roll with the changes much of society was beginning to experience in post-war America.  This film got very good reviews on IMDB (7.2 out of 10), but between all the talk at Thanksgiving about 'cutting the toy-kee' and the girl who was on a continuous loop shouting, "bees, bees,bees"...ad nauseum, I'd have to give it a 4 out of 10.  One good thing I got out of this film was that:  It Scared Me.  It Scared Me Straight.  I hope to God I never turn out to be like the grandparent set as portrayed in this movie.  But, since I nor anyone else control the fates by any stretch of the imagination as we age, I'll keep my fingers crossed (something I can still do!).

I had a friend who had difficulty watching Avalon because the dinner scene reminded him so much of his own family! I loved the Baltimore (or "Bolmer," as some of the locals call it) setting, which I recall as being authentic. It was unusual to see the very English Joan Plowright playing the matriarch of the family, though she was convincing. I still quote the line "You cut the toikey without me?"

And yes, Washington and Cal both have lousy basketball teams this year!

• Like 2

I haven't been here in a while.  Been busy with so many other things, I just never found time to wander over here.  Very sorry.

Some really good movies I've seen recently...

- Two Tickets To Broadway

- Kiss Me Kate

- Dive Bomber

- 42nd Street

- Silk Stockings

A couple days ago I watched "Tintorera" & it was really bad.  Did anyone else watch it?  I can't believe how Wikipedia wrote "The film, along with many monster movies of the 1970s and 1980s, is very similar to Jaws".  Ha!  Who wrote that?  "Tintorera" was nothing like "Jaws".  I've seen "Jaws" a zillion times!  People aren't walking around naked.  No sex scenes.  "Tintorera" had way too much nudity!  A guy walks up to a pretty girl on a beach, they talk, start to hang out, & later are in bed naked.  Then the girl with 2 guys?  Seriously?!  In between the nudity & bed scenes, there were some sharks.  But killing sharks for fun is not my definition of fun.  And the "killer shark" wasn't really a man eating shark causing a lot of death & injury like in "Jaws".  The shark in "Jaws" was 25 feet.  The shark in "Tintorera" didn't look that big.  I know other shark movies aside from "Jaws" that are pretty good.  "Deep Blue Sea" was good.  "Shark Swarm" was good.  But I give "Tintorera" 2 thumbs down.

Lori

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

A couple days ago I watched "Tintorera" & it was really bad.  Did anyone else watch it?

Lori

TINTOERA aka TENTACLES (1977) is- believe it or not- an ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE compared to two other acting roles JOHN HUSTON agreed to in the 1970's.

THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE (1978) and THE VISITOR (1978)- which also inexplicably features SHELLEY WINTERS- are EVEN WORSE.

[THE VISITOR- an Italian sort of EXORCIST ripoff was shot in ATLANTA makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL. ]

They are both featured on RIFFTRAX.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TINTOERA aka TENTACLES (1977) is- believe it or not- an ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE compared to two other acting roles JOHN HUSTON agreed to in the 1970's.

I don't fully understand this sentence.  What does John Huston have to do with "Tintorera"?  He wasn't in the movie.  Or are you just talking about 2 movies he did?  Actually, I didn't know a single name in the cast.

Lori

2 minutes ago, Lori Ann said:

I don't fully understand this sentence.  What does John Huston have to do with "Tintorera"?  He wasn't in the movie.  Or are you just talking about 2 movies he did?  Actually, I didn't know a single name in the cast.

Lori

Tentacles (Italian title: Tentacoli) is a 1977 Italian-American horror film directed by Ovidio G. Assonitis and starring John Huston, Shelley Winters, Bo Hopkins and Henry Fonda

Tintorera is a 1977 Mexican-British[1][2] horror film directed by René Cardona Jr. and starring Susan George, Hugo Stiglitz, Fiona Lewis and Andrés García

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Tentacles (Italian title: Tentacoli) is a 1977 Italian-American horror film directed by Ovidio G. Assonitis and starring John Huston, Shelley Winters, Bo Hopkins and Henry Fonda

Tintorera is a 1977 Mexican-British[1][2] horror film directed by René Cardona Jr. and starring Susan George, Hugo Stiglitz, Fiona Lewis and Andrés García

Gotcha!  Thanks.  What I saw was "Tintorera".  Maybe I should have recorded "Piranha" instead.

Lori

2 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

Gotcha!  Thanks.  What I saw was "Tintorera".  Maybe I should have recorded "Piranha" instead.

Lori

Yea, this is all very confusing since both films were released in 1977 and the Italian and Spanish titles are very similar.   

2 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

Yep.  😎  Piranha's the one with the late 70's-Roger-Corman Joe Dante/John Sayles sense of humor.

(Were they showing Alligator, too, by any chance?)

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE (1978) and THE VISITOR (1978)- which also inexplicably features SHELLEY WINTERS- are EVEN WORSE.

[THE VISITOR- an Italian sort of EXORCIST ripoff was shot in ATLANTA makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL. ]

They are both featured on RIFFTRAX.

That's because they're both public domain (and therefore available everywhere), and The Visitor is one of the few bad movies much more watchable without the Bored Old Body-Shaming Guys.  Italian "The Omen" knockoffs were dime-a-dozen, but this one's freakin' NUTS.  😆

And unless you can find more domestic cooks who sing "Mammy's lil' baby" while working in the kitchen, I'm guessing Shelley Winters was originally written as a black character, but Shelley was much more available in Italy.

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

(Were they showing Alligator, too, by any chance?)

No, that wasn't shown.  I'm not familiar with that title.  Is it like "Lake Placid"?  I didn't like that.  Too bloody & too many loose body parts.

Lori

7 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

No, that wasn't shown.  I'm not familiar with that title.  Is it like "Lake Placid"?  I didn't like that.  Too bloody & too many loose body parts.

No, Lake Placid, like most 00's-horror, was too consciously campy, while Alligator was just a standard 70's drive-in B-movie with a script just slightly cleverer than it needed to be.  (Even the "What if there were flushed alligators in the city sewer?" premise would be too mangled today if The Asylum tried doing it.)

B-movies had to WORK for a living, back then, and couldn't afford to goof off or fool around.    😉

• Like 1

DEATH IN VENICE (1971) was on TCM yesterday late afternoon.  I watched it again; it's gorgeous even when it shows ugly.  I love LUCHINO VISCONTI movies but the whole time I was looking at it, I was reminded how boring audiences must have found the film when it was new.  It is truly an actor's piece, and DIRK BOGARDE is wonderful. 

AIR FORCE (1943) was on late last night; super cast!  Propaganda maximized! 

• Like 2

September Poster

September (1987) HBO On Demand 5/10

A suicidal woman (Mia Farrow) spends time with family and friends in her Vermont home.

Woody Allen directed this extremely somber film which has some good acting but it is slow and talky , even though it is short (82 minutes). It has an interesting cast- Denholm Elliott plays a widowed neighbor who has a crush on the Farrow character, but she is in love with divorced writer Sam Waterston, and he is in love with Farrow's married friend Dianne Wiest. Elaine Stritch plays Farrow's mother and Jack Warden the new stepfather. Most interesting thing for me was the family tragedy that happened in Stritch and Farrow's past. It was based on the Lana Turner/Cheryl Crane scandal where the daughter is accused of killing the gangster boyfriend of the mother. It may be worth seeing for that, but be warned it can get very dull at times.

• Like 2