Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just Saw a Film.. ... that came out.. ...between last year and now called ADORATION ..

..FANTASTIC,.  .. Borderline EXQUISITE imo.

VERY (VERY) VERY Similar to a(nother) Bonkers indie flick of some years back called ,theSURVIVALIST ...

_

On the complete OPPOSITE Side of Spectrum .. ... checked this title out.. ...maybe a +year ago now to see what all the confetti and hooplah was about it,, ,but uncut gems is a COMPLETE bust nonsensical nonlinear waste of time.

If .. there are those who read this who think differently and are inclined;, Please. Inform and Enlighten me as to what makes it "must see" (crime thriller) t.v ...

🙏

50 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

Just Saw a Film.. ... that came out.. ...between last year and now called ADORATION ..

..FANTASTIC,.  .. Borderline EXQUISITE imo.

VERY (VERY) VERY Similar to a(nother) Bonkers indie flick of some years back called ,theSURVIVALIST ...

_

On the complete OPPOSITE Side of Spectrum .. ... checked this title out.. ...maybe a +year ago now to see what all the confetti and hooplah was about it,, ,but uncut gems is a COMPLETE bust nonsensical nonlinear waste of time.

If .. there are those who read this who think differently and are inclined;, Please. Inform and Enlighten me as to what makes it "must see" (crime thriller) t.v ...

🙏

I researched ADORATION and it looks interesting.  I'm curious as the the other film you are suggesting is on the opposite side of the spectrum. 

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

5DL1B9xGBnvqiTmOUzowZg2AhSNLscxtjgR2Zt2M

I watched CHARLEY VARRICK (1971) aka CHARLEY VARRICK: THE LAST OF THE INDEPENDENTS aka KILL CHARLEY VARRICK, all of which make fine titles.

It's about a wily crop duster/stunt pilot who decides to rob a bank and ends up knocking over one in a small southwestern town that is, in fact, a laundering operation for the mafia; surprisingly, JIM THOMPSON had nothing to do with it, but I would bet that, if he saw it, he loved it.

it's a good movie, but one that would not  be nearly as unique and memorable had it featured, oh I dunno, WARREN OATES or LEE MARVIN or STEVE McQUEEN, as the titular BANK ROBBER, instead someone, somewhere smoked some good **** (it was the seventies after all) and said "hey, what if we got WALTER MATTHAU TO DO IT?"

And Matthau ends up, like STANWYCK in DOUBLE INDEMNITY, turning in a performance that endears a decidedly amoral protagonist to the audience; his CHARLEY VARRICK is almost impossible to dislike, and believe me, i wanted to.

The film is not without its flaws: there is an unforgivably bad exposition scene early on; and FELICIA FARR aka MRS. JACK LEMMON appears in a particularly unnecessary and somewhat confusing part at the end, also- forgive me for being a Stickler on this but it just always rubs me wrong- TIRES DO NOT SQUEAL ON DIRT ROADS!!!!!! I know it's ONE OF THOSE MOVIEMAKING things, but I DON'T KNOW WHY IT IS, and it irritates me.

eta: this is also one of those GREAT "TIME CAPSULE" FILMS, you see ALL SORTS of cars, locations, billboards, etc. as there were in 1970/71

Charley Varrick also includes Andrew Robinson, sometimes billed as Andy Robinson, an actor I have always liked ever since he was on Ryan's Hope. He never quite got the part that pushed him into stardom. His credits include a TV movie where he played Liberace. Charley Varrick is one of the classic "cynical 70s" movies.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Charley Varrick also includes Andrew Robinson, sometimes billed as Andy Robinson, an actor I have always liked ever since he was on Ryan's Hope. He never quite got the part that pushed him into stardom. His credits include a TV movie where he played Liberace. Charley Varrick is one of the classic "cynical 70s" movies.

He also played "IT WAS CALLIHAN WHO DID IT TO ME! IT WAS CALLIHAN, THE BIG ONE!!!!!!" aka THE UNNAMED SNIPER KILLER in DIRTY HARRY- also directed by DON SIEGEL. 

He was really good in CHARLEY VARRICK, and I cannot imagine it was an easy role, it was the sort of role you would need an actor with no vanity or pretense to play.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It's about a wily crop duster/stunt pilot who decides to rob a bank and ends up knocking over one in a small southwestern town that is, in fact, a laundering operation for the mafia; surprisingly, JIM THOMPSON had nothing to do with it, but I would bet that, if he saw it, he loved it.

it's a good movie, but one that would not  be nearly as unique and memorable had it featured, oh I dunno, WARREN OATES or LEE MARVIN or STEVE McQUEEN, as the titular BANK ROBBER, instead someone, somewhere smoked some good **** (it was the seventies after all) and said "hey, what if we got WALTER MATTHAU TO DO IT?"

Think it's more like we wouldn't believe Steve McQueen as an average-guy pilot who beats the system--I wouldn't have believed Walter Matthau as an action hero in The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, but as a grumpy wisecracking civil-service NYC subway dispatcher who becomes an action hero, he does just fine. 

On 3/4/2021 at 7:51 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

So, a while back, I mentioned that it seems like- more often than not- bad things happen in ALL GIRL'S SCHOOLS in FILMS 

Several posters chimed in with "oh and THE BEGUILED (1971)" and I was like "huh?" and then I was schooled on its existence (and the 2017 remake) and went on a fruitless search for it.

I came across it last night by DELIGHTFUL CHANCE.

I need to lay out two things before I go any further here: 1. there will likely be spoilers of some kind and you deserve to be in suspense if you do not know this movie already, so quit reading now

overall, it's kind of like a FEATURE LENGTH version of the CASTLE ANTHRAX SCENE from MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL- CLINT [EASTWOOD]  is a YANKEE soldier in 1863 who is wounded and taken in by GERALDINE PAGE AND ELIZABETH HARTMAN in their GIRL'S SCHOOL in the wilds of LOUISIANA and all sorts of SICK SEXUAL MINDGAMES ENSUE!!!!!!!!!!!

It's quite entertaining and the entire cast of actresses are great- although I have to say I am a little surprised GERALDINE PAGE took this role! (although I am thrilled she did, NO ONE plays PERIOD WOMeN quite so perfectly as she does.)

it also has that delightful 1970's "let's throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" sensibility about TOPICS THAT WERE THERETOFORE VERBOTEN ONSCREEN , the lack of restraint allows for some interesting things to happen- I had forgotten how COMMON the theme of INCEST is in films about the Confederacy.

I very recently re-watched THE BEGUILED (1971) for what I think was the fourth time.

I agree that it's a movie that deserves to be seen without spoilers and I wish the message boards still had the "hide contents" feature to allow discussion of spolierish elements of it.

Some observations:

I really like the use of flashbacks of Eastwood's character's battlefield activities to reveal to the audience  that he is lying to various female characters at certain points in the movie.  Similarly, the movie does a good job of revealing the inner thoughts of multiple characters, which is generally something movies (unlike novels) aren't very good at doing in my opinion.

The part where three different women are expecting a visit by Corporal McBurney (Eastwood) to their bedroom is very well done.

And there's  a very, um, interesting dream sequence that, when I saw it the first time, I didn't immediately know which character's dream it was.

And, yes, I am glad Geraldine Page took the role of Miss Martha Farnsworth!

PS. Fans of THE BRADY BUNCH will recognize the girl who discovers the wounded soldier played by Cint Eastwood as the same one who played the girl who had the birthday party in the episode where Jan shows up wearing the dark curly wig.

R90IWIU.png

feo4nNA.png   

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I researched ADORATION and it looks interesting.  I'm curious as the the other film you are suggesting is on the opposite side of the spectrum. 

(And, ahem, speaking of "Spectrum"...)  🙄

8 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

So .. Unless i missunderstand .. 

-

Perhaps this is a Collapse of Articulation (Up)On My Part,. ..

_

That other film ..

(Uncut Gems)

.. .

... .

I Did See it .. ... and frankly did Not care for it one bit,.

.. ..Nor would i (ever) recommend the thing ..

(Though,. .. upon release;, it got .. ... multiple more or less glowing reviews .. ... both from critics as well as from .. (more) "lay" people .....

- ---

As Such,. I Am Genuinely Curious and in Fact Interested in what makes it such a "Good" film in other pepls perspectives and opinions ..

On 5/22/2015 at 1:10 AM, speedracer5 said:

This thread is intended for people to share their thoughts on films that they recently saw.  I also made a counter thread "A Waste of Space on the DVR" for those films that were total duds.  This is not limited to films seen on TCM.

I just watched a few films:

Wabash Avenue.  I just saw this film with Betty Grable and Victor Mature.  I remember last summer, Dargo tried to get me to like Mature more.  While I did like him in I Wake Up Screaming, I can never see him as the supposed heartthrob that he was supposed to be.  Mature does absolutely nothing for me--lookswise.  I do like him as smarmy characters.  He seems to do smarmy well.  Betty Grable was beautiful as always and wore many costumes to show off her great legs.  This film was entertaining when I watched it, but is ultimately forgettable. 

The Avengers: Age of Ultron.  This was a great film.  While it was heavy on the CGI, it was a fun film with an interesting plot.   James Spader was great as the voice of the villain, Ultron.  The Avengers themselves were also fun, and I thought it was interesting how the filmmakers worked around Scarlett Johanssen's pregnancy (stunt doubles & CGI).  I also like that the group seems to be evolving and making room for two new Avengers: The Scarlet Witch (played very well by The Olsen Twins' sister, Elizabeth Olsen) and Falcon.  I look forward to the next film and the next superhero film in the Marvel franchise-- Ant-Man starring Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas. 

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town.  I recorded this film for Jean Arthur.  I'll have to admit right here that I've seen three Capra films: It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Arsenic and Old Lace.  My opinion of star Gary Cooper unfortunately is not that high.  He was awful in Love in the Afternoon.  I found him very dull and in Love in the Afternoon, director Billy Wilder would have been better off hiring a mannequin for Cooper's part.  In Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Cooper wasn't that bad, but I can't figure out WHY he was such a big star.  Maybe he was better in silent films.  Cooper just seems to have no pizzazz.  Perhaps if they had cast James Stewart or maybe even Cary Grant, it might have been more interesting.  I wanted to say Errol Flynn, but he might have had too much flair for the part of Longfellow Deeds.  I hate to say it, but I liked Adam Sandler and Winona Ryder's remake better! But I did love Jean Arthur in this film.  She never gives a bad performance in my opinion.

Just Had.. ...what i will call, ..the Opportunity and the Priviledge of Viewing One, theWantingMare...

(Twice.. ..thus far ...

_

While (it) might not be everyones cup, ah tea ..

..i nonetheless +++ GREATLY Enjoyed this one.. .

(*Some parts.. sequences.. ..scenes ,Are.. .....Rather Strongly Dark Red-Band/ Red Light District ..  ...

_

..Best way i know how to describe this title... .. ...is (kinda a) Tree ofLife,. ..To the Wonder,  Type of Film.. .

..on Crack ...

19 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I very recently re-watched THE BEGUILED (1971) for what I think was the fourth time.

I agree that it's a movie that deserves to be seen without spoilers and I wish the message boards still had the "hide contents" feature to allow discussion of spolierish elements of it.

I really like the use of flashbacks of Eastwood's character's battlefield activities to reveal to the audience  that he is lying to various female characters at certain points in the movie.  Similarly, the movie does a good job of revealing the inner thoughts of multiple characters, which is generally something movies (unlike novels) aren't very good at doing in my opinion.

And there's  a very, um, interesting dream sequence that, when I saw it the first time, I didn't immediately know which character's dream it was.

There is something very rewatchable about it isn't there? i was kicking around the notion of watching it for a second time meself.

[spoiler]

I also wish the [spoiler] feature still worked.

you know, with all the revisionism and whitewashing we like to do about OUR AMERICAN HISTORY (and especially THE CIVIL WAR and ANTEBELLUM era) , I felt like the "what the character said happened" vs. "now we're going to (as filmmakers) cut away and show you what really happened"  scenes in THE BEGUILED rang SO TRUE to the present- I could almost hear the ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT record scratch each time they cut away. I do not doubt for a moment this was a film that inspired parts of DJANGO UNCHAINED.

RE: THE DREAM SEQUENCE: I KNOW RIGHT!
"featuring Hot Girl on Girl Action" and "Starring GERLADINE PAGE" were not two sentences I would HAVE EVER THOUGHT COULD APPLY TO THE SAME MOVIE!

The 70's were WILD, man!

• Like 1

The Littlest Horse Thieves (aka Escape From the Dark 1977) - 👍

669a520e9008935930e296b7440f4243.jpg

VOD rental money was burning a hole in my pocket, so, as is the periodic habit, I tried to check off another obscure late-60's/mid-70's live-action Disney film, from my backlog of Vudu rental titles that looked too generic for my parents to take me to in theaters, but which I now despair of EVER seeing stream for free on Disney+.  (Oo, but I heard the WandaVision finale was a grabber!  🙄 )  Half the titles I remember from the days when the 50's and 70's Mickey Mouse Club reruns would air after school five days a week, followed by the same one or two ads for the new Space Mountain and whatever new high-pressure G-rated family title was opening that month, and practically memorizing the ads from Pete's Dragon, Candleshoe, Escape to and Return From Witch Mountain, and No Deposit No Return, over and over and over...

Now that those issues are past, I'm curious about unearthing the mysterious rest of those movies that lay between that litany of preview lines, and occasionally finding some surprises:  Here, Disney wanted to go English local-color and period, with a 1900's Yorkshire coal-mine story of three kids trying to save the beloved pit-ponies from being retired to glue, when the mine wants to move to machinery to save the dying coal-town.  All classic Disney-plot stuff, but here, the director and Rosemary Anne Sisson's ("Upstairs Downstairs") screenplay steep the atmosphere in Yorkshire-coal drama, and give the movie a surprisingly organic North-country feel that almost leaves you forgetting the Disney origins, even down to the uncharacteristically mixed-happy climax.   The secret ingredient is Ron Goodwin's musical score, played almost ENTIRELY in the English park-band brass-quartet style we generally associate with Welsh-coal-mining drama, and while it doesn't always fit the heart-tugging moments, it takes you completely out of the 70's Disney-assembly-line atmosphere, and feels like a genuine import that would have aired on PBS in the 70's...Or at least on Nickelodeon in their early 80's afternoon British-kids-movie matinees.  What puts the movie over the top for must-watching, though, is the movie's one marquee name-star, Alastair Sim, who brings both his good and bad Ebenezer Scrooge back after 25 years in only a few scenes near the end, as the mine's owner whose stinginess towards the town workers is eventually changed by the town supporting the kids' pluckiness.

And yes, I'll admit it, I initially watched it just to get Ron Goodwin's score from the TV ads out of my head.  Some of Disney's 70's product could be a mixed bag, hiding underneath generic  identical marketing, and if rental isn't there to surprise you out of the blue, what is it for? 

• Like 1

I've watched a couple recently.

Last night, CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962). I guess this is some sort of cult classic. I'd never seen it. The acting was decidedly 2nd rate, but the organ soundtrack was moody and gave it some cache'. In addition the cinematography and editing were not horrible. The ending was a bit spooky so for the era it came across OK. The final scene was filmed at the Saltair Resort on the shores of the Great Salt Lake. This place was abandoned even before the film was shot in 1962. I was in SLC 3 years ago and visited the place. It's still there. Visiting the Great Salt Lake is nothing to write home about.

In addition, I watched WITNESS TO MURDER (1954) with Barbara Stanwyck, George Sanders and Gary Merrill. Again, Stanwyck delivers even as the script is ridiculous. The police detective, played by Merrill, would have given Fearless Fosdick a run for his money as most inept police detective of all time. Sanders plays the sophisticated, ruthless killer perfectly. If I closed my eyes I think I heard some Jeremy Irons-i-ness to him. The ending where Stanwyck is trying to escape Sanders and runs outside and up the outdoor scaffolding of a tall building under repair is one of the most implausible plot twists I've ever seen. That's the last place you'd go. Like that commercial where the teenagers hide in the garage full of chainsaws while trying to avoid the serial killer.  

• Like 4

In addition, I rewatched LORD JIM (1965). Another satisfying adaptation of a Joseph Conrad novel. Great story...interesting how it didn't receive a single Oscar nomination for anything. I thought it had multiple worthy possibilities. Editing, cinematography, acting (O'Toole).....

Man, did O'Toole have blue eyes or what? Can anyone name an actor with bluer eyes than Peter O'Toole?

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

In addition, I rewatched LORD JIM (1965). Another satisfying adaptation of a Joseph Conrad novel. Great story...interesting how it didn't receive a single Oscar nomination for anything. I thought it had multiple worthy possibilities. Editing, cinematography, acting (O'Toole).....

Man, did O'Toole have blue eyes or what? Can anyone name an actor with bluer eyes than Peter O'Toole?

Noël Coward is rumored to have said, on seeing the premiere, "If he'd been any prettier, they'd have had to call it Florence of Arabia."

• Haha 5

My wife wanted to watch The Searchers. So I put the great looking film on the DVD player and we started to watch it. My wife is not a fan of Wayne's and yet she found the story quite compelling. I really enjoyed how the characters of Ethan and Martin became closer and closer. You could tell that over the years Ethan who at the start of the film did not really like Martin, he may have tolerated him but over their five year search for Debbie, I think he became more entrusted to him and eventually loved him as any uncle would with a nephew. Eventually he and Debbie were Ethan's only ties lef to family. A wonderful and thoughtful film that features probably John Wayne's strongest performance ever put on film.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Noël Coward is rumored to have said, on seeing the premiere, "If he'd been any prettier, they'd have had to call it Florence of Arabia."

Bonus points for proper umlaut placement! 

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Debatably PAUL NEWMAN. 

To be sure....

I think the cinematographer on O'Toole films probably made a point of emphasizing his eyes. I give a slight....barely....edge to Pete.

Question: Did O'Toole and Newman ever appear together? I don't think so. A true clash of blue eyes. The audience would have been overwhelmed!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Bonus points for proper umlaut placement! 

This was extremely important to Mr. Coward, and he would be perturbed that I have referred to him in other posts without using it. I would have to write the post in Word, get the umlaut, copy and then paste into a post here. "So why don't you do it, deah boy?" Mr. Coward would probably have said.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, kingrat said:

This was extremely important to Mr. Coward, and he would be perturbed that I have referred to him in other posts without using it. I would have to write the post in Word, get the umlaut, copy and then paste into a post here. "So why don't you do it, deah boy?" Mr. Coward would probably have said.

If you post with your phone you can use an umlaut.

Sometimes I will edit posts that I wrote on my computer with my phöne so I can pröpërly ädd them. 

or just to do that “my sįstêr wäs bït bye â mööse” bit from MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Møøse bÿtes cann bē vėrí næstē, yøü know!

Yes, quite nasti, mynd yøu.

Just recently we had one YouTube first-reactor--there are a surprising LOT of them who have never seen Holy Grail--who was of that unfortunate generation that literally DOES NOT KNOW there was once a time when opening credits once lasted 3-5 minutes, and didn't just flash the cool blockbuster title at us.  So, he ended up thinking "Wait, they're trolling us with all these, right?  Get on with it! 😆 ", and thinking that was the joke, when the credits people were sacked for the second time...And somehow failed to notice that subtitles about moose bites had turned to credits for Møøse Lighting and Møøse Cinematography.

...There is so much we need to teach the new generation.  🤦‍♂️

(Btw, I'll bite:  How DO you create alternate chars?  I just cut-and- pasted yours.)

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

If you post with your phone you can use an umlaut.

Sometimes I will edit posts that I wrote on my computer with my phöne so I can pröpërly ädd them. 

or just to do that “my sįstêr wäs bït bye â mööse” bit from MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL

You can type such characters from your keyboard. Press and hold the: ALT key while entering the proper code on the numeric keypad beside the letter keys. It does not work on all computers to use the numbers in a row above the letters as this: ALT option is tied to the numeric keypad.

ö is generated by holding the: ALT key and entering: 0246. The character appears when you release the: ALT key.

A list of: ALT codes and links to YouTube instructional video on using the: ALT key can be found at: https://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/list/

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, EricJ said:

(Btw, I'll bite:  How DO you create alternate chars?  I just cut-and- pasted yours.)

Bring up your keyboard on your iPhone and then *hold down* any letter and it will give you a full spectrum of variations of the letter, ie for the letter “a” there are: 

à á â ä æ ã å ā

You can also do Spanish upside down question and exclamations, ie “¡Dios mio!”

i learned this, of course, from mÿ sïstērs høsbänd Svên, whø įs â dentīst ïn Øslø. 

ps- You also have to överrïde the æutøcørrect fünctiøn