Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

since SLAP SHOT and jockstraps have been mentioned, one of the other problematic moments in the film was a subplot that the TEAM MANAGER PLAYED BY STROTHER MARTIN was once caught in a hotel room by coach PAUL NEWMAN wearing (and i more or less quote) "a black bra with tassles and a zebra skin jockstrap" and then he proceeded to come on to NEWMAN'S CHARACTER.

There's a lot of offensive stuff to parse here, the blackmail, the confusing of cross dressing [which is a straight thing] and homosexuality, but most of all: there is no such thing as a zebra skin jock strap. I just don't believe it exists. and i even went online and looked.

furthermore, fellow homosexuals, would ANY of you EVER EVER EVER have the lack of decency to wear such a thing, and one paired with a black bra with tassles no less?

you match the shoes to the purse OR YOU GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE NOW!!!!!!

Lorna, I would much rather HEAR about Strother Martin wearing a zebra-skin jock strap than SEE Strother Martin wearing a zebra-skin jockstrap.

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Hibi said:

It was. That storm scene!. I wonder how long Lean waited to get that on screen.

I wonder how many extras drowned filming it. 

CUT TO: 

DAVID LEAN BEHIND THE CAMERA:

”KEEP ROLLING!!! WE’LL SEND THE WIDOW A HAM!!!”

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, kingrat said:

Lorna, I would much rather HEAR about Strother Martin wearing a zebra-skin jock strap than SEE Strother Martin wearing a zebra-skin jockstrap.

What if he was also wearing a pair of Aviator sunglasses? And he turned to you and said “what We have here is a failure to communicate...”

Still no?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I remember there was a dust up with the rating as they pushed and got a PG rating and their love scene was fairly explicit. I think you saw Miles breast briefly.

A little bit more than briefly, and they are exquisite. 

I wonder if She was the first actress to get a best actress nomination for a role where she had a nude scene.

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder if She was the first actress to get a best actress nomination for a role where she had a nude scene.

I got insulted the other day on this forum for mentioning Susan Sarandon's nude scene in "Joe".  🙂

As for the question you asked above, I just looked over the Best Actress list on Wikipedia and I *think* you're right.  Unless Samantha Eggar was briefly nude in "The Collector" but it's been a long long time since I saw that movie.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Vidor said:

I got insulted the other day on this forum for mentioning Susan Sarandon's nude scene in "Joe".  🙂

As for the question you asked above, I just looked over the Best Actress list on Wikipedia and I *think* you're right.  Unless Samantha Eggar was briefly nude in "The Collector" but it's been a long long time since I saw that movie.

2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

What about Vanessa Redgrave in Isadora? I haven't seen this recently but there may have been something. 

I googled it and according to Mr. Internet, it was JULIE CHRISTIE in DARLING. 

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I googled it and according to Mr. Internet, it was JULIE CHRISTIE in DARLING. 

Oh shoot, yes!  From behind and from a distance in the scene near the end where she shucks her dress off as she's having a fit of hysterics after realizing what a hash she's made of her life.

• Thanks 1

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane Poster

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) TCM -8/10

Several adults get suspicious when a 13 year old girl appears to be living alone in a house.

This is one disturbing and engrossing little suspense/mystery. Jodie Foster is excellent in the lead, one of her best performances ever. Martin Sheen plays a creepy pervert with sick designs on Jodie. Hollywood veteran Alexis Smith is Sheen's mom. The film takes a few twists and turns and this could only have been made in the edgy 1970s. One of the more interesting things is the casting of Scott Jacoby as a young magician who befriends Jodie. Jacoby had been in his own "teenager alone in a house film" with the TV movie Bad Ronald. 

I had seen this film years ago on TV, I forgot most of it, but the final close up of Jodie Foster's face has always haunted me. See this movie and you will know what I mean.

• Like 4

I watched THE THIRD MAN (1949) last night. My wife had never seen it and it's been years for me.

I was surprised to see that it is often called the greatest British film of all time. Really? I get the lighting and the 15% degree off camera angles. Tight editing and exquisite use of light and shadows. 

I thought the theme music was oddly out of sync with the drama and intrigue of the film. It bordered on Flamenco guitar music and seemed more "jaunty" than "mysterious". I thought the film was ripe for a different, moodier score. 

I don't want to seem unappreciative of a fine, artistic film...but it did not come across as anywhere near the best British film I can recall. I would be open to other's opinions. Excellent...but best???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

I watched THE THIRD MAN (1949) last night. My wife had never seen it and it's been years for me.

I was surprised to see that it is often called the greatest British film of all time. Really? I get the lighting and the 15% degree off camera angles. Tight editing and exquisite use of light and shadows. 

I thought the theme music was oddly out of sync with the drama and intrigue of the film. It bordered on Flamenco guitar music and seemed more "jaunty" than "mysterious". I thought the film was ripe for a different, moodier score. 

I don't want to seem unappreciative of a fine, artistic film...but it did not come across as anywhere near the best British film I can recall. I would be open to other's opinions. Excellent...but best???

every single "GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME" discussion NEEDS to have at least one person sitting in the third row scowling with their arms folded muttering "well, I didn't like it" under their breath before everyone else starts hitting them with their rolled-up programs and telling them to hush (the opposite case scenario being that one guy who really liked the Springtime for Hitler number in THE PRODUCERS.)

Usually I am that person, so I appreciate the courage it takes.

That said, I like THE THIRD MAN an awful lot, I know it was a BRITISH production, but I'm not really sure I'd call it a BRITISH FILM, odd as that may sound. I think of it more as a WORLD FILM or even EUROPEAN FILM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

The zither was a popular folk instrument in that part of the world, so it's not out of place, though maybe slightly out of time. The instrument, and the player you heard, Anton Karas, enjoyed renewed popularity after the movie.

I think the score does much of the heavy lifting in setting the movie apart from the pack. It was a good choice. 

I did like the film. After all these years I appreciate films more for their artistry than their core themes or story lines.

I would definitely put THE THIRD MAN in the high art category. The story was not particularly unique. Having not seen it for years and now rewatching it with a more discerning eye I simply failed to embrace the "greatest of all time" notion.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

The zither was a popular folk instrument in that part of the world, so it's not out of place, though maybe slightly out of time. The instrument, and the player you heard, Anton Karas, enjoyed renewed popularity after the movie.

I think the score does much of the heavy lifting in setting the movie apart from the pack. It was a good choice. 

No problem with your take. I just felt the tight, taut editing, especially during the sewer chase sequences, needed a sharp, crisp score. Strings...some horns. But then...they didn't ask me.😁

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

LOL. I think there may have been some brief nudity in Isadora, but has been a long time since I've seen it. She might have been the first!

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane Poster

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) TCM -8/10

Several adults get suspicious when a 13 year old girl appears to be living alone in a house.

This is one disturbing and engrossing little suspense/mystery. Jodie Foster is excellent in the lead, one of her best performances ever. Martin Sheen plays a creepy pervert with sick designs on Jodie. Hollywood veteran Alexis Smith is Sheen's mom. The film takes a few twists and turns and this could only have been made in the edgy 1970s. One of the more interesting things is the casting of Scott Jacoby as a young magician who befriends Jodie. Jacoby had been in his own "teenager alone in a house film" with the TV movie Bad Ronald. 

I had seen this film years ago on TV, I forgot most of it, but the final close up of Jodie Foster's face has always haunted me. See this movie and you will know what I mean.

What a weird little movie. I'd wanted to see this film for many years. Was hoping Alexis Smith had a bigger role than it turned out to be. I doubt Smith was old enough to be Sheen's mom. She certainly didnt look it! I thought Foster looked "different".  In the outro she explained she was wearing  prosthetic teeth and a wig. Martin Sheen was such a creep. Glad he got his just desserts!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Vidor said:

Oh shoot, yes!  From behind and from a distance in the scene near the end where she shucks her dress off as she's having a fit of hysterics after realizing what a hash she's made of her life.

It's been so long since I've seen this, I dont remember nudity.

48 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

I did like the film. After all these years I appreciate films more for their artistry than their core themes or story lines.

I would definitely put THE THIRD MAN in the high art category. The story was not particularly unique. Having not seen it for years and now rewatching it with a more discerning eye I simply failed to embrace the "greatest of all time" notion.

THE THIRD MAN holds up well on multiple viewings, so if they show it again a year from now, you might like it more.

• Thanks 1

I ADMIT I DID HAVE SOME ISSUES WITH THIS SCENE, BUT HELL, IT'S SO GORGEOUS I CAN FORGIVE IT FOR SO BOLDLY CLAIMING AS FACT THAT PEOPLE IN THE EARLY TWENTIETH CENTURY DID NOT HAVE PERIPHERAL VISION.

GUYS, HE'S RIGHT THERE. RIGHT THERE BEHIND THE ROCK. MY GOD, DO YOU BOTH HAVE20/ 2500 VISION?

HE'S. RIGHT. THERE.

th?id=OIP.QHzv6wtzH4bUgyR-SzHQuQHaDF&pid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE THIRD MAN holds up well on multiple viewings, so if they show it again a year from now, you might like it more.

Or not.  I've seen it plenty over plenty of years, and although I do like it, I like it no more than I did the last few viewings.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

VERYCLOSE to the end of this film, the "HERO" played by PAUL NEWMAN makes a cruel, explicit, homophobic and HIGHLY sexual remark about a character's EIGHT YEAR OLD SON, SERIOUSLY, THE KIND OF THING THAT COULD END YOU UP IN JAIL OR WITH A FRACTURED SKULL IF YOU SAID IT TO THE WRONG PERSON- AND FOR THAT MATTER, BOY, DO I EVER WISH YOU WOULD!

[I'D REPEAT THE REMARK HERE TO GIVE YOU ALL CONTEXT, BUT HONESTLY, IT'S SO DEGRADING AND FILTHY IT'S NOT WORTH SHARING.]

It was one of the most breathtakingly insulting things I can recall seeing since the OLE ABE LINCOLN scene in HOLIDAY INN.

AND IT STUNG.

I never saw this movie before but I had to rent it on demand to see what the fuss is about. It was profane, raucous and HILARIOUS!. I haven't laughed this much at a movie in years! I just found it to be a satire on the violent world of win-at-costs sports. 

I wasn't offended by the remark by Paul Newman's character about the son, the kid wasn't even in the scene. I sometimes get offended by things in real life, not in 44 year old fictional movies. I am not bothered by the Abe Lincoln scene in Holiday Inn either.

• Thanks 1