Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**CAVEAT For anyone thinking of checking out the Hemingway documentary: 

there are A LOT of EXPLICIT photos of dead bodies- Not just from the Wars, but especially from the 1935 hurricane that destroyed the Florida keys. I  verymuch wish they had prefaced the documentary series with a warning.

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Posthumous appearances really are a trip....

I meant to thank him for saving my healthcare! 

(Ironically he appeared to talk about how much he admired the hero of “for whom the Bell tolls”, a.k.a. a doomed, relentless  fighter for a lost cause.)

• Like 1

I don't quite understand the thing about his large forehead scar: thinking he was pulling a toilet chain but it was actually a skylight?

I guess you had to be there.  And I'll assume alcohol was involved.

2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I don't quite understand the thing about his large forehead scar: thinking he was pulling a toilet chain but it was actually a skylight?

I guess you had to be there.  And I'll assume alcohol was involved.

Actually...McCain Was a prisoner of war in Vietnam for something like five or six years, they literally kept him in a tiny cage and tortured him. When he had the chance to leave, it would’ve meant leaving his men behind and he said no. I am pretty sure that’s how he got the scar.

In that case, yeah absolutely your assumption about alcohol being the cause is 110% on the money.

edit: I kind a like to think he thought he was yanking the toilet chain, but he was actually pulling down the attic trap door and the ladder slid down and clocked him just like Clark Griswold.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there are A LOT of EXPLICIT photos of dead bodies- Not just from the Wars, but especially from the 1935 hurricane that destroyed the Florida keys. I  very much wish they had prefaced the documentary series with a warning.

They superimpose a TV-14 rating at the beginning. But yeah, they can't foresee every potential upsetting image or quote, but those were stunning. Still, it would be odd to hear Peter Coyote interrupting the narrative with an aside saying, "Gruesome images of decaying corpses follow. Discretion is advised for the next 20 seconds." There were probably as many people hitting the pause button as there were people who had to look away. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

Re: THE HEMINGWAY DOC

I’VE GOTTEN TO THE KINKY PART! 
(it was worth the wait) 

It doesn't go very deep. They could have psychoanalyzed more than they did and I credit them for avoiding that. You might want to read The Garden of Eden. I read a review of it and it seems to have been an outlet for most of his role play ideas.

21 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I miss Andy Rooney.

I miss THAT Andy Rooney. He had so much more to say than we heard in those cutesy little "What's the deal with shampoo?" spots he taped for 60 minutes. Thanks for posting that clip. 

I had to look up what he meant by 'mannered" writing. For others who don't quite know, it refers to prose where it is obvious the writer cares more for the language he uses than for the elements of his story. That seems contrary to most of the things Hemingway is praised for. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

It doesn't go very deep. They could have psychoanalyzed more than they did and I credit them for avoiding that. You might want to read The Garden of Eden. I read a review of it and it seems to have been an outlet for most of his role play ideas.

I’m watching the part now where Hemingway’s crossdresser son is ripping him a new one.
it’s GREAT!!!!!!

You could make a pretty fascinating film out of that alone!!!!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m watching the part now where Hemingway’s crossdresser son is ripping him a new one.
it’s GREAT!!!!!!

You could make a pretty fascinating film out of that alone!!!!

"Ernestine!" Papa's response was surprisingly cool and mature. I thought. Like he knew he had it coming.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if you have one of those fancy-schmancy Roku TVs, PBS has a whole station you can download. I did last night so I could watch the first episode: HEMINGWAY AT WAR: CH 1: I’M NOT GAY, I JUST *REALLY* WANT TO RIDE MY BICYCLE DOWN TO THE TRENCHES SO I CAN PASS OUT CANDY TO THE MEN. 

When it comes to technology I'm one of those late, if at all, adapters. I'm hoping that the third PBS station

I get will be playing it next week so I can see part one. I can get why Burns chose Hemingway. He's probably

the best known American writer of the mid 20th century, even if it's more as a brand name than a writer.

I'm guessing his rep isn't quite as high as it once was. I don't take Hem's serial bs too much to heart. It does

get kind of embarrassing at times, but it's sort of baked into the cake, like a drunken friend who likes to tell

tall tales that he likely knows no one will believe. Sure, Ernest, sure. After watching this program, it doesn't

seem strange that one of his sons would be a cross-dresser, as Hemingway, despite the macho man pose,  had

a few gender kinks himself. And last and least, I see Ken Burns has gotten rid of his Moe Howard 'do and let his

hair grow long. Big improvement, but then what wouldn't be. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there are A LOT of EXPLICIT photos of dead bodies- Not just from the Wars, but especially from the 1935 hurricane that destroyed the Florida keys. I  verymuch wish they had prefaced the documentary series with a warning.

The pictures were gruesome but I think they were important to show.  They underscored the horror and outrage Hemingway felt in the aftermath of the hurricane.  In case anyone hasn't seen the documentary, hundreds of unemployed  veterans  were sent to the Florida Keys as part of a federal work program to build up infrastructure.  250 of the veterans  died after not being evacuated in time. 

Hemingway wrote "Who Killed the Vets?" in response:  " But the veterans had been sent there; they had no opportunity to leave, nor any protection against hurricanes; and they never had a chance for their lives. Who sent nearly a thousand war veterans, many of them husky, hard-working and simply out of luck, but many of them close to the border of pathological cases, to live in frame shacks on the Florida Keys in hurricane months?"

• Thanks 1

A thread should be done on Hemingway the Ken Burns documentary was very good as usual.I was a bit disappointed that it all ended with a bang....more info on the family or on his exes would have been interesting.His son Gregory got operated to become a woman in 1995 and everything got complicated. Mary Welsh was the best looking wife of the 4 imo.She had a firm trim body all her life,i find her very attractive and sexy.Hemingway should have considered himself very lucky to have such a quality woman as a wife.He was too drunk most of the time to appreciate her i guess..Hemingway pursued Slim Keith while she was married to Howard Hawks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2