Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 4/10/2021 at 2:50 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

**CAVEAT For anyone thinking of checking out the Hemingway documentary: 

there are A LOT of EXPLICIT photos of dead bodies- Not just from the Wars, but especially from the 1935 hurricane that destroyed the Florida keys. I  verymuch wish they had prefaced the documentary series with a warning.

Yes. I agree LHF. That grossed me out. I was rather shocked that they showed that. 

And I'm not a fan of Hemingway and criticized his work in English 101 in school, but the documentary was wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ladies in Retirement is, in my opinion, a very effective Gothic thriller, rich in atmosphere with its isolated moor setting, and with Ida Lupino's restrained performance (a real contrast to her flamboyance the year before in They Drive By Night) a highlight in her career. In fact Lupino called it her favourite role.

There will also be a suspenseful "ghost" scene that could rank as one of the highlight moments of many a horror chiller.

Highly recommended, with solid support from Louis Hayward as an unscrupulous scalawag who suspects a murder has taken place, along with Elsa Lanchester and Edith Barrett as Lupino's two dotty sisters. Character actress Isobel Elsom, in recreating her stage performance here, has one of the best film roles of her career.

vlcsnap-256925.png

• Like 4

Slaves of Babylon (1953)

Biblical mumbo jumbo done on the cheap by Columbia which involves Jews seeking freedom from enslavement in Babylon through an attack on the city by Persians, lead by King Cyrus (D. W. Griffith, far more memorably, covered some of this same territory in Intolerance). There will be a recreation of the prophet Daniel in the lion's den in a less than exciting scene.

Richard Conte, of all people, looks more than a little ridiculous in costume attire as a former slave who seeks the attack on Babylon. Conte gives it the old Babylonian college try but it's all a bit of a lost cause (for him as an actor, that is, the attack will take place). Terry Kilburn, who had played the cute little kid who years before said "Goodbye Mr. Chips" to Robert Donat, is all grown up now as a rather callow looking King Cyrus.

It's the women in this film that are really of more interest. Linda Christian, playing a fickle princess whom Cyrus desires, had a far more interesting personal life than she did film career, with a slew of relationships with wealthy and often very famous men. At the time this film was made she was Mrs. Tyrone Power. It's easy to see why the Mexican-born lady had such an active social life. My God, she is a beauty in this film! Alas, though, not much of an actress.

4N9KvzMNdqd4sil5buk-XtVwSxml3PJn955qiLon

Also cast in the film is Julie Newmar, then billed as Newmeyer, who has one scene, performing an exotic dance with a saber.

bd31d7274be3d639445db186961ba65e.jpg

The future Cat Woman of Batman fame is pretty impressive doing it. This would lead to a similar specialty dance number for her the following year in another cardboard spectacle, Serpent of the Nile. In that one, though, she would be painted in gold from head to toe, years before a certain James Bond film decided to borrow the same idea, with deadly results, for luscious Shirley Eaton.

-4349513532889983517.jpg

2 out of 4

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Also cast in the film is Julie Newmar, then billed as Newmeyer, who has one scene, performing an exotic dance with a saber.

bd31d7274be3d639445db186961ba65e.jpg

I love Julie Newmar too, although more familiar with her from SEVEN BRIDES than BATMAN. 

Obviously she's the highlight of the film. She's pictured twice while only having one scene!

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

-4349513532889983517.jpg

A beautifully proportioned lady, age doesn't effect that. Still beautiful-she's 87, folks.

julie-newmar.jpg?fit=200,1

• Like 2

Ever dream of an actress;    Yea,  I have.       And in my dreams I'm really tall!

PS:  This should have been posted at the actors-in-one-dream thread.   Oh, well.    Just another chance for me to post about Martha Vickers! 

44 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I love Julie Newmar too, although more familiar with her from SEVEN BRIDES than BATMAN. 

Obviously she's the highlight of the film. She's pictured twice while only having one scene!

Actually, this shot is of Linda Christian, Tiki.

4N9KvzMNdqd4sil5buk-XtVwSxml3PJn955qiLon

Both ladies have a visual impact in an otherwise forgettable film. I wonder if Tyrone used to sit around the house having Linda scratch him behind the ears, too.

17 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Yes. I agree LHF. [SHOWING PHOTOS OF DEAD BODIES FROM THE CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE OF 1935] grossed me out. I was rather shocked that they showed that. 

And I'm not a fan of Hemingway and criticized his work in English 101 in school, but the documentary was wonderful. 

I'm not an overly superstitious person, but I think a little piece of one's soul is lost each time one sees something like that.

Also, I could not help but notice that the FORCE OF THE FLOOD WATERS washed a lot of the clothes off of the men, so we were looking at dead people in their underpants face down and covered in mud and possibly blood and I could not help but think that the victims themselves would not be thrilled to be viewed in such a way some 90 years later.

BESIDES THAT THOUGH, it was a good documentary- not afraid to show the warts and all, even working in some very apt criticism from EDNA O'BRIEN of THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.

I was continuously surprised by how many head injuries ERNEST HEMINGWAY sustained in his life, even using his head to ram open the door to an airplane he was in when it caught on fire, kinda wonder if maybe he also opened beer bottles with his teeth.

• Like 1

I've been watching ROYAL FAMILY (1969), a controversial behind-the-scenes BBC documentary that followed the BRITISH ROYAL FAMILY around for a year. It has recently been posted in full on youtube after being unseen for years because HER MAJESTY has ordered it to be NEVER SHOWN IN PUBLIC AGAIN.

So, if anyone is interested, check it out now before it gets pulled.

It's sort of boring, and yet, often fascinating and it gives you a pretty good idea of HOW UTTERLY EXHAUSTING life for the ROYALS must be, their life (at this time at least) was a marathon of speeches, dinners, garden parties and state visits to all corners of the globe.

"the strength of The Monarchy is not in the power that it gives to the Monarch, it is in the power that it DENIES to anyone else."

Also, PRINCE EDWARD comes off as a TOTAL BRAT.

it gets especially candid at an hour and 28 minutes in:

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It has recently been posted in full on youtube after being unseen for years because HER MAJESTY has ordered it to be NEVER SHOWN IN PUBLIC AGAIN.

Thanks.   I've been trying to catch this for quite a while.

I would imagine the reason it's been locked away is that they are keen on minimizing overexposure of their private lives.  When you remove the tradition, trappings and protocol, you can see they're just another family, no more special than any other group of people on the planet, and that can be dangerous to the stability of the monarchy.  Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say...

Interesting that at the Christmas holidays they were watching the very first episode of Here's Lucy, which premiered in the UK  on 4 January 1969 on BBC1.

Edward was only 4 or 5 at the time.   A lot of us are bratty at that age, and thankfully most of us grow out of it.  In fact, today he seems from all outward appearances to be the most stable of her four children.  But that could be just because he gets the least amount of press.  At today, he looks like a double for his father in the 1969 film.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've been watching ROYAL FAMILY (1969), a controversial behind-the-scenes BBC documentary that followed the BRITISH ROYAL FAMILY around for a year. It has recently been posted in full on youtube after being unseen for years because HER MAJESTY has ordered it to be NEVER SHOWN IN PUBLIC AGAIN.

So, if anyone is interested, check it out now before it gets pulled.

It's sort of boring, and yet, often fascinating and it gives you a pretty good idea of HOW UTTERLY EXHAUSTING life for the ROYALS must be, their life (at this time at least) was a marathon of speeches, dinners, garden parties and state visits to all corners of the globe.

"the strength of The Monarchy is not in the power that it gives to the Monarch, it is in the power that it DENIES to anyone else."

it gets especially candid at an hour and 28 minutes in:

Was this the one that was first aired as a Christmas special? I remember that there was some Royal Christmas special that the British press gave the nickname: "Corgi and Beth".

But then again i am also reminded of a British tabloid that gave severel members of the royal family some nicknames that didn't sound as lofty as their real names. Queen Elizabeth became Brenda. Princess Margaret became Yvonne. Prince Phillip became Keith, Prince Charles was known as Brian, and Princess Diana was known as Cheryl.

12 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Thanks.   I've been trying to catch this for quite a while.

I would imagine the reason it's been locked away is that they are keen on minimizing overexposure of their private lives.  When you remove the tradition, trappings and protocol, you can see they're just another family, no more special than any other group of people on the planet, and that can be dangerous to the stability of the monarchy.  Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say...

Interesting that at the Christmas holidays they were watching the very first episode of Here's Lucy, which premiered in the UK  on 4 January 1969 on BBC1.

Edward was only 4 or 5 at the time.   A lot of us are bratty at that age, and thankfully most of us grow out of it.  In fact, today he seems from all outward appearances to be the most stable of her four children.  But that could be just because he gets the least amount of press.  At today, he looks like a double for his father in the 1969 film.

Now that you say that about Edward, I think it’s possible that it was Andrew who came off as the brat. Because he looked to be about 10 or 11 years old. And it was mainly during a scene where they were cooking out at Balmoral.

(Charles and Anne were featured a whole lot more than either of the younger brothers)

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Was this the one that was first aired as a Christmas special? I remember that there was some Royal Christmas special that the British press gave the nickname: "Corgi and Beth".

But then again i am also reminded of a British tabloid that gave severel members of the royal family some nicknames that didn't sound as lofty as their real names. Queen Elizabeth became Brenda. Princess Margaret became Yvonne. Prince Phillip became Keith, Prince Charles was known as Brian, and Princess Diana was known as Cheryl.

I’m not sure, but there was a whole episode of THE CROWN that dealt with it (The Doc filming)

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The first airing in the UK was on 21 June 1969.  It first aired on BBC1, and then a week later on ITV

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

The first airing in the UK was on 21 June 1969.  It first aired on BBC1, and then a week later on ITV

The queen comes off really, really well. Very animated and quite frankly full of joy. And watching it I’m not entirely sure why it was banned other than as you say dispelling the illusion. There is a slightly controversial part around the very end where the queen talks about meeting “a gorilla“

If you are interested, I would recommend watching it ASAP because the entire documentary was posted a few weeks ago and was almost instantly pulled.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The queen comes off really, really well. Very animated and quite frankly full of joy. And watching it I’m not entirely sure why it was banned other than as you say dispelling the illusion. There is a slightly controversial part around the very end where the queen talks about meeting “a gorilla“

If you are interested, I would recommend watching it ASAP because the entire documentary was posted a few weeks ago and was almost instantly pulled.

I just watched it.  

• Like 1

I saw this but I'm not sure where. I was a teenager; was it carried on PBS here?

I distinctly remember them at a barbecue and it just seemed odd that they were preparing their own food.

55 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I saw this but I'm not sure where. I was a teenager; was it carried on PBS here?

I distinctly remember them at a barbecue and it just seemed odd that they were preparing their own food.

Ole Phil seems like quite the grillmaster, actually. 

and Charles makes the salad! 

58 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I just watched it.  

Was it Andy or Edward who was being the brat at the barbecue?

”what’s that for?”

”and what’s THAT for?!”

”and what’s that for?!?”

REALLY wish Phillip had said ”It’s for smacking kids who don’t shut the **** up and stop asking stupid questions, that’s what it’s for!”

• Haha 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

Was it Andy or Edward who was being the brat at the barbecue?

”what’s that for?”

”and what’s THAT for?!”

”and what’s that for?!?”

”It’s for smacking kids who don’t shut the **** up and stop asking stupid questions, that’s what it’s for!”

Edward.  Same thing as when a 4 year old asks you in a cascade of questions "Why?"

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Vidor said:

That's the sexiest Joan Blondell picture I've ever seen.

What Joan Blondell picture?

20 minutes ago, Vidor said:

My bad, I was referencing a post on the Autobiographies thread.  Flipped back between windows and commented in the wrong place.

That's what I suspected. This photo got your eyes (along with everything else) so steamed up you didn't even know which thread you were on. Joan could be a very sexy girl, of which this pix is ample evidence.

No wonder Dick Powell was smiling all the time in those '30s musicals.

1*S9tu2CpHgJkrLx2MI58OrQ.jpeg

A Little Princess (1995))  How did it come that I enjoyed this so much?  Not that I don't enjoy goodness; giving a hand to the outcast, the beleaguered, or anyone so down that a positive stroke might well bring one back to life again. One touch of kindness makes the whole world kin, a touch of magic too. (I am happy to report that this is not  Magic Realism, thank God.) Most movies like this go rather overboard and tend to sentimentalize, ad infinitum.  This movie did a lot of that sort of but I never turned the channel. It had a marvelous look about it. I can't decide whether or not this is for kids or not, something about it that might indicate that it is not strictly so.  What brought to me to the movie in the first place was Eleanor Bron. I loved her in Women in Love (1969), herself as an actor, if not exactly her character of whom It might be difficult to love. She's difficult to love here as well. She played mistress to a House for young girls and has a personality like the Godmother in Cinderella. But even she gets as little redemption. Our 11-year-old heroine erupted in saying with admirable conviction that "ALL LITTLE GIRLS ARE PRINCESSES." Miss Minchen (Eleanor) true to form told our little heroine that she was to go to her room with no supper, and tomorrow too. Then we see her cry when alone again. She evidently never felt like a princess. She played the harp and I liked that. Not an expert, she struggled but managed to sound quite okay. If I could have walked into the movie I might told how it nice it is that you play the harp like that. Would that have brought her back to life?  i doubt it. There is this big reunion at the end, scenes that are characteristically grossly overdone in most movies, but I relished it's coming and I was not disappointed. I should mention that liking a movie like this is an anomaly. I mean I'm a good person (more or less) but when I see a movie in this vein I usually adhere to The Holden Caulfield School of Movies, which guarantees that this it is horribly "phony."  Not this one, though.

MV5BZDQzMGE5ODYtZDdiNC00MzZjLTg2NjAtZTk0

/////

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, TomJH said:

That's what I suspected. This photo got your eyes (along with everything else) so steamed up you didn't even know which thread you were on. Joan could be a very sexy girl, of which this pix is ample evidence.

1*S9tu2CpHgJkrLx2MI58OrQ.jpeg

I don't know the name of the movie but I saw this and I believe it was her first. Could be wrong.

What an adorable photo. What adorable gams. Betty, move over.