Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aren't you glad Joan Blondell was in her physical prime during the pre code period? These shots are from Gold Diggers of 1933.

8Ojy.gif

ah6Du2S.gif

2a63faac5e3e184c872ecd309aa49911.gif

• Like 1

Joan Blondell was in "Smarty", which is the dirtiest pre-Code film I have ever seen, and also really kinky and weird, and I love it so.

• Like 2

Malice in Wonderland (2009)

q6J99kE.jpg

This movie is ... interesting. I believe it is a must-see for all Lewis Carroll completists. 

"Insanity is not a plea, it's a way of life!"

A woman is running from two men. She is hit by a taxi. The driver bundles her away because he does not have time to deal with the police as he is late. Very late for an important date. So the adventure begins.

This Wonderland is a very sanitized underworld attempting to be surreal. There are occasional odd little nods to the original story: she escapes being forced into prostitution by driving off in the semi which is a moving brothel with several of the workers inside the trailer. She is later charged with stealing the tarts. 

It stars  Maggie Grace before she became a star in several mega-hit television series. It may be that it is her supreme acting skill to convince audiences she is a shallow dullard incapable of any real emotion.

Danny Dyer as the taxi driver is the true star. He is nearly a poor-man's Mark Sheppard in appearance and amoral character. He brings much to his role by the way he hedges into situations where he knows he is in over his head. 

I did pause it approx. an hour in so as to see how much remained. It was not a chore to finish watching it but I have in the past found more interesting things to do with a half hour.

There is no gore, no nudity and little profanity.

Alice: He sounds... fascinating.
Whitey: I've heard Harry called a lot of F-words. Fascinating's a new one.

6/10.4

It is available with commercials on several streaming services.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, laffite said:

Tom, you're killing me.

Actually, I think it's really Joan that is killing you. She sure kills me. She and Cagney were a wonderful screen team.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

"Beat it, Countess. As long as there are sidewalks you've got a job."

tumblr_pcr3esGKFI1vlvtlro2_500.gif

BlondeCrazyGif4.gif

tumblr_p6fb72gapr1qe4ru4o1_540.gifv

dd175359fc3458ad3e07088f6a0492e3.gif

e67c80442346a6dfc2893279b82ca35f.gif

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Actually, I think it's really Joan that is killing you. She sure kills me. She and Cagney were a wonderful screen team.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

"Beat it, Countess. As long as there are sidewalks you've got a job."

tumblr_pcr3esGKFI1vlvtlro2_500.gif

BlondeCrazyGif4.gif

tumblr_p6fb72gapr1qe4ru4o1_540.gifv

dd175359fc3458ad3e07088f6a0492e3.gif

e67c80442346a6dfc2893279b82ca35f.gif

They certainly don't seem to get along very well. Hey, Joan, why don't you dump that guy and come to me.  Never mind that he has everything and I have nothing. We can work it out.

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@ everyone: I'm afraid to tell you all this, but I just watched Citizen Kane for the very first time last night, and I did not love it... There were certainly moments I enjoyed, but I think I hyped it up too much in my own brain, so when I finally watched it, I was underwhelmed. This film is certainly not without merit, though. I can see how it is widely regarded as one of the best films of all time. 

Why You Should Care About 'Citizen Kane' | by Richard Brownell | Medium

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

@ everyone: I'm afraid to tell you all this, but I just watched Citizen Kane for the very first time last night, and I did not love it... There were certainly moments I enjoyed, but I think I hyped it up too much in my own brain, so when I finally watched it, I was underwhelmed. This film is certainly not without merit, though. I can see how it is widely regarded as one of the best films of all time. 

I wonder whether it's really loved by many, or just appreciated for its technical merits?  

5 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Boy, that's what I call straddling the fence ;) .

I had a similar experience with Casablanca, but I got lucky, I loved it. Of course C will always be more popular than CK.

58 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Amanda seyfried is really good in this

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Malice in Wonderland (2009)

q6J99kE.jpg

This movie is ... interesting. I believe it is a must-see for all Lewis Carroll completists. 

"Insanity is not a plea, it's a way of life!"

A woman is running from two men. She is hit by a taxi. The driver bundles her away because he does not have time to deal with the police as he is late. Very late for an important date. So the adventure begins.

This Wonderland is a very sanitized underworld attempting to be surreal. There are occasional odd little nods to the original story: she escapes being forced into prostitution by driving off in the semi which is a moving brothel with several of the workers inside the trailer. She is later charged with stealing the tarts. 

It stars  Maggie Grace before she became a star in several mega-hit television series. It may be that it is her supreme acting skill to convince audiences she is a shallow dullard incapable of any real emotion.

Danny Dyer as the taxi driver is the true star. He is nearly a poor-man's Mark Sheppard in appearance and amoral character. He brings much to his role by the way he hedges into situations where he knows he is in over his head. 

I did pause it approx. an hour in so as to see how much remained. It was not a chore to finish watching it but I have in the past found more interesting things to do with a half hour.

There is no gore, no nudity and little profanity.

Alice: He sounds... fascinating.
Whitey: I've heard Harry called a lot of F-words. Fascinating's a new one.

6/10.4

It is available with commercials on several streaming services.

I don't think Dodgson would have liked her...much.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I wonder whether it's really loved by many, or just appreciated for its technical merits?  

It's appreciated by WAY too many for its technical merits, which scares Many away from loving it.  

I manage to be enough of an Orson Welles-the-40's-actor fan to ignore the technical merits enough to like it, but just as a friend.

5 minutes ago, laffite said:

I agree with you. Let's stick with our original sweet Alice.

At least, as long as we have Tim Burton, we can reassure ourselves that this is not THE most clueless or off-book showoff Alice deconstruction in movies.

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

At least, as long as we have Tim Burton, we can reassure ourselves that this is not THE most clueless or off-book showoff Alice deconstruction in movies.

I see his last picture is DUMBO.(2019).  Okay, let me guess ... ah, I got it. Dumbo is a serial killer.

Re-watched A man for All Seasons last night and its still as powerful as ever. Other than that and seeing part again of Lilies of the Field, I have been in TV land all week. China Beach, Boston Legal, The Practice, That Girl, Bewitched, Three's Company,  Barney Miller, Desperate Housewives,  and a certain rare TV show on YouTube that i'm not going to say the title of, because I fear it will be taken down again like it was once before.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, laffite said:

I see his last picture is DUMBO.(2019).  Okay, let me guess ... ah, I got it. Dumbo is a serial killer.

No, but a father reconnects with his two kids while trying to save Dumbo, and Timothy Q. Mouse is briefly seen in a cage.  😶

(And, this being a Tim Burton film, a nasty female trapeze artist with retro-40's-glam makeup is the sidekick to Danny DeVito's ringmaster baddie.  As always, no issues here.)

Oh, and technically, Dumbo got Burton busted down to Netflix, where he finally got a chance to do that Addams Family remake he wanted to, and it ended up as teen Wednesday going to a Mean-Girls high school.

All right, I'll give some hints on the rare TV show I mentioned earlier that's on YouTube. It was a 90s show that was once up for an Emmy for best series of the year and would be of particular interest to TCM fans. It's a sensational show.

The Carpetbaggers (1964) I can't believe I never caught this film before, over long but watchable. Basically a loose take on Howard Hughes. also didn't realise  that it was an extension of Nevada Smith story.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The Carpetbaggers (1964) I can't believe I never caught this film before, over long but watchable. Basically a loose take on Howard Hughes. also didn't realise  that it was an extension of Nevada Smith story.

YES!!! Love that movie. My kind of schmaltz.