Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lady Baffles and Detective Duck in the Great Egg Robbery (1915)

A lady thief is on a crime spree and intends to steal a collection of very large pearls. The police chief sends his best detective to safeguard them.

This is the first of eleven short movies in which Gale Henry plays Lady Baffles and Max Asher plays Detective Duck. The action is quite sprightly even although the plot is quite thin. Character development is weak but the cinematography is exceptional.

I am sorry to say that the only print which I could find is on: YouTube and parts of it are severely degraded. https://youtu.be/zsyOMaNHji0

I can offer no suggestions as to beverage pairing because I am not a member of: TCM Wine Club. I would suggest that the movie might be best appreciated in the accompaniment of a mild indica.

7.4/11

• Haha 1

Ladies of the Jury - 1932:     I missed about the first 15 minutes.     Fairly typically early 30s film;   some really poor acting,  a lot of overacting,  and a high degree of corniness.   Of course there was the "lets just end this" ending so often seen in early 30s films. 

I still enjoyed it and the scenes with a lot of overlapping dialog in the jury room was directed well.    A good amount of wise cracks and funny insults were throw out (by folks that were total strangers until they placed on this jury).     Edna May Oliver had to perform some physical comedy but she was only 49 at the time (but looked much older).

Ladies of the Jury (1932) - IMDb

• Like 1

Romance (1930)

A snoozer. A young rector named Tom Armstrong (Gavin Gordon) falls for the famous opera singer Rita Cavallini (Greta Garbo). But he doesn’t know his friend Cornelius Van Tuyl (Lewis Stone) is just one in a long line of guys who have made sheet music with her. So he ends up looking like a caffone. Garbo’s acting is pretty bad, and the rest of the cast isn’t as good as she is. Henry Armetta plays an Italian. Garbo and Stone have a spaghetti dinner. Garbo keeps calling Stone “Corny.” There is one opera scene; unfortunately the Marx brothers are nowhere to be found.

There was a silent version released in 1920, with Doris Keane as Cavallini. That film is lost. This film should be.

• Like 4

I had never seen Junie Moon before, but I've read a number of reviews over the years and they always

sounded like one should head for the bomb shelter. It wasn't really all that bad, though certainly not

a movie you'd want to watch repeatedly. It's one of those (3) misfits against the world things, which

usually have some interest. What was the big deal about the nude scene? One sees Liza's skinny rear

for 30 seconds. C'mon man. Ken Howard's death at the end seemed forced, like the screenwriter

had to end it somewhere and his death would be a simple way to do that. I'd give it a C+.

• Haha 1

I finally watched the TCM Film Festival restoration of HER MAN (1930).  Lorna, why are you not all over the performance of your boy Phillips Holmes? And I'm really impressed by the tracking shots--was the audio captured in synch with the video? That would be really impressive for that date.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OTTO PREMINGER was always an uneven director, even at his best, but as he got older things got a little out of hand.

(although, please don't hurt me, I like BUNNY LAKE.)

From my limited knowledge of Preminger, he was at his best when tilting against the windmills of the Motion Picture Production Code. When that imploded, he must have been somewhat at a loss.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, SansFin said:

Lady Baffles and Detective Duck in the Great Egg Robbery (1915)

A lady thief is on a crime spree and intends to steal a collection of very large pearls. The police chief sends his best detective to safeguard them.

This is the first of eleven short movies in which Gale Henry plays Lady Baffles and Max Asher plays Detective Duck. The action is quite sprightly even although the plot is quite thin. Character development is weak but the cinematography is exceptional.

I am sorry to say that the only print which I could find is on: YouTube and parts of it are severely degraded. https://youtu.be/zsyOMaNHji0

I can offer no suggestions as to beverage pairing because I am not a member of: TCM Wine Club. I would suggest that the movie might be best appreciated in the accompaniment of a mild indica.

7.4/11

The other surviving Lady Baffles and Detective Duck installments are also worth your attention. They are sourced from materials archived at the Library of Congress (your....well, MY tax dollars at work).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

On the subject of Such Good Friends, I wish TCM would interview Dyan Cannon. I've always thought she was an underappreciated actress and she's starred in some interesting films and worked with big stars. Would think she'd have some interesting stories to tell.  Wish TCM would revive that show (and not just at the Festival).

Such Good Friends is actually quite good and worth seeking out. It may be Cannon’s best performance. Of course, I did kind of enjoy Skidoo,  for Carol Channing of nothing else. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

The other surviving Lady Baffles and Detective Duck installments are also worth your attention. They are sourced from materials archived at the Library of Congress (your....well, MY tax dollars at work).

I am searching to find if there might be better prints available of the others. 

I can assure you that it is my taxes also. I pay five figures in Federal Income tax each year and my little fuzzy pays about the same.

Either i Had Never.. - Unfortunately... .. Seen this Flick Before .. .....or i had (just as Unfortunately...), Forgotten All, About it...

~ Ice Cold, In Alex ..

.. ... .

Honestly..

A Freakin' Awesome War Feature.. .... .. D*** Fine.. ..Immersive Acting.. ... ..Solid, Savvy.. Directing.. .....and a .. ... ..and a QUITE Competent, Sturdy.. ... Impressive Script... ..its... ..Probably Right (if not VERY close) Upthere Now with (Some Of) "the" Other Favourite War Features (such) as the Railway Man and A Very Long Engagement..... . ..

Was THRILLED to Also Find (out) that Madam Sylvia Syms is Still with Us, Today,, ,at the age of Eighty Seven.....

😊☺️☺️☺️☺️😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊,and .. - ...may "You" Have +YEARS of Health And Safety Ahead ofYou...

😌😌😌😊😊😌😌😌😊🙏🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

15 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I finally watched the TCM Film Festival restoration of HER MAN (1930).  Lorna, why are you not all over the performance of your boy Phillips Holmes? And I'm really impressed by the tracking shots--was the audio captured in synch with the video? That would be really impressive for that date.

Yes, I was impressed by the camera work as well. Really made the story more interesting in that it was more or less filmed in a couple big sets. I LOVE Phillips Holmes! He was very good in this.

15 hours ago, alleybj said:

Such Good Friends is actually quite good and worth seeking out. It may be Cannon’s best performance. Of course, I did kind of enjoy Skidoo,  for Carol Channing of nothing else. 

I'm not sure it's even been issued on DVD. It did get some good reviews. I've always wanted to see it. Didn't do well and played out quickly, so I wasnt able to on its initial release.

21 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Romance (1930)

A snoozer. A young rector named Tom Armstrong (Gavin Gordon) falls for the famous opera singer Rita Cavallini (Greta Garbo). But he doesn’t know his friend Cornelius Van Tuyl (Lewis Stone) is just one in a long line of guys who have made sheet music with her. So he ends up looking like a caffone. Garbo’s acting is pretty bad, and the rest of the cast isn’t as good as she is. Henry Armetta plays an Italian. Garbo and Stone have a spaghetti dinner. Garbo keeps calling Stone “Corny.” There is one opera scene; unfortunately the Marx brothers are nowhere to be found.

There was a silent version released in 1920, with Doris Keane as Cavallini. That film is lost. This film should be.

One of Garbo's worst films imo. Love her wardrobe though.......

Yesterday it was three films:

Skirts Ahoy (1952) Silly but enjoyable.  Esther Williams was a shape in a drape.  Didn't care for the song and dance routines but Williams underwater sequence is probably the most memorable thing about this film which is terribly funnily dated.

Welcome to Sarajevo (1997) Wanted more from this film.  Is this was Whiskey Tango Foxtrot tried to be?

Stardust Memories (1980) Probably my favorite film by Woody Allen from the 80's.  Felt like this was his 8 1/2 take on Fellini.

• Like 1

Ingagi (1930)

Well, I have seen it at last. Although it is presented as a documentary about the explorer Sir Hubert Winstead, it's really all a fake, and was the subject of a court case in its day.  Much of the footage has been purloined from other films shot in Africa, and some of the footage was actually shot in Los Angeles (you can tell). However, taken as a fiction film, it has some interesting moments. The restored print looks good, the tinted shots are attractive, and some of the animals are cute. (Some are not so cute.) The authentic African footage is well presented, even if it has been lifted from other films. There is a very cute lemur; and an especially vicious crocodile "that has developed a taste for dark meat."  After a while, it wears thin and becomes boring: we've seen much of that footage, better presented, in other movies.

The famously shocking bits don't appear until more than one hour into this 82-minute film. They have to do with women and gorillas. Evidently, there is a tribe that sacrifices women to the gorillas (Ingagi); but other women don't get sacrificed to them... 

"One had a child hugged to her breast, a strange-looking child, seemingly more ape than human."

It is said that this film inspired King Kong, which rose, a few years later, from the ashes of the failure of Ingagi. The first all-black horror film, Son of Ingagi (1940), which you can find on YouTube, has nothing to do with this film.

Ingagi was thought to be a lost film, but there are a couple of prints at the Library of Congress, from which the restored version was made. The DVD has a few extras, including one about the restoration.

INGAGI%20blueband.jpg

• Thanks 3

All Matt Helm movies.

. . . . . . . no, I really did, and Murderers Row is still the best one! After all. . . Dino, Desi and Billie sings a medley of their hit! 

Although I think The Wrecking Crew has moved from 4th into 3rd despite The Ambushers having the Boyce and Hart theme song. The Silencers will always be solidly in second place if for no other reason than the opening credit striptease. I do wish someone would restore Cyd Charisse's full contribution to that though, the edit has been cleaned up a bit since the first VHS release butchery but c'mon, who's the prude at Columbia that thought that cut was needed. 

Equity (2016) A  sort of Wall Street cautionary tale. The interesting thing is that women dominate the scene, uncommon in the money game. Anna Gunn is good as an investment banker who aggressively manages a high tech IPO (Initial Public Offering). She is a tendency of micromanage and has a rep of "rubbing people the wrong way." and has been involved in a prior failure which seems to feed her intensity for control.  Alysia Reiner is an old friend and prosecutor who also plays hardball and threatens to be an opposing force.  My favorite in the film was Sarah Megan Thomas, who plays an underling to Gunn's character, a sort of protege.  Of these three, this latter seems to the most interesting of all. A solid film all the way around that i found engrossing.

Girl Friends  (or Girlfriends?) (1978) Another female genre flick, this was a surprise. As a guy, maybe I'm not supposed to like this? This may be a chick flick of sorts but see if I care. Production values seem iffy, giving It has a rugged look to it, something not merely low budget but more dicey than that ; a threadbare, kitchen sink, amateur attempt of a movie possibility of going astray. I'm probability  overstating that aspect but it was a feeling throughout. Yet it plays wonderfully well and with astonishingly good acting. Trials and tribulations of just getting along in the world of relationships and the yearning for artist and financial success.

Girlfriends Poster

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I watched the 1980 movie FOXES with a young, luminous, butch JODIE FOSTER

See the source image

...surely I can't be the first person to point out that it is BASICALLY AN UPDATED REMAKE OF "LITTLE WOMEN" set in THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY at the end of THE DECADENT SEVENTIES.

I liked it all right, word of warning, if you are NOT a fan of the DONNA SUMMER SONG "ON THE RADIO" skip this movie as it plays (checks notes) FOR ABOUT 2/3 OF THE GODDAMNED RUNNING LENGTH IN STANDARD OR INSTRUMENTAL FORM.

SALLY KELLERMAN is improbably cast as JODIE'S MOM, every time I hear her ALL I CAN THINK OF are those "HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH" ads she did in the 80s. One of the four girls (the Meg of the group I guess) starts dating RANDY QUAID, a guy in his 30's [she's 15 or 16; also HE'S RANDY QUAID!!!!!]. The relationship is presented as one of the only healthy ones in this film and it even ends with them getting married...i would be offended if the actress playing the 15 year old was not OBVIOUSLY NEARLY 30.

ENTHUSIASTS of skateboards, 80S FASHION AND HAIR, vintage autos, vinatge gas stations, images of the SAN FERNANDO VALLEY in all its late 70s glory and, again, THE DONNA SUMMER SONG "ON THE RADIO"- you'll be contented with this one.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Although I think The Wrecking Crew has moved from 4th into 3rd

I never saw any Matt Helm movie, but I kind of would like to see this one. Mainly because it has maybe the greatest cast of sexy women in one film-Sharon Tate, Elke Sommer, Nancy Kwan and Tina Louise. A clip was also featured in the recent Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

• Like 1
On 5/14/2021 at 11:42 AM, Hibi said:

I'm not sure it's even been issued on DVD. It did get some good reviews. I've always wanted to see it. Didn't do well and played out quickly, so I wasnt able to on its initial release.

I actually have it in a BLU ray set with Hurry Sundown and Skidoo. Beautiful transfers of all, and worth it, for me. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...surely I can't be the first person to point out that it is BASICALLY AN UPDATED REMAKE OF "LITTLE WOMEN" set in THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY at the end of THE DECADENT SEVENTIES.

I am here for an updated Little Women.  I love the idea of a cross-over between Valley Girl and Little Women.  Jo and Laurie are the Julie and Randy of Valley Girl.  Or maybe Jo and the Professor is more accurate since Laurie ends up with Amy. 

I think I recorded Foxes the last time it was on TCM.  Is it in the same vein as Little Darlings ? I recorded that a ways back when it aired on TCM and I was disappointed that it wasn't as scandalous as I'd hoped.

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think I recorded Foxes the last time it was on TCM.  Is it in the same vein as Little Darlings ? I recorded that a ways back when it aired on TCM and I was disappointed that it wasn't as scandalous as I'd hoped.

LITTLE DARLINGS came out the same year as FOXES (1980) and both films were compared to one another and have been ever since. I have never seen LITTLE DARLINGS, but FOXES definitely had some scandalous moments (one of the girls in FOXES was played by CHERIE CURIE (sp?) of the famous group THE RUNAWAYS) there is sex, sex talk, and lots of drugs.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

LITTLE DARLINGS came out the same year as FOXES (1980) and both films were compared to one another and have been ever since. I have never seen LITTLE DARLINGS, but FOXES definitely had some scandalous moments (one of the girls in FOXES, the AMY of the group, was played by CHERIE CURIE (sp?) of the famous group THE RUNAWAYS

Ooh. Little Darlings about two girls from different backgrounds (Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol) attend a summer camp together.  They compete to see who will lose their virginity first.   It seems like something scandalous should happen with that premise, but for me it wasn't nearly as scandalous as another teen film, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

I also made it, I dunno, 30-40 minutes into TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON (1970)

Yeah, it sucked pretty bad. I couldn't take anymore when KAY THOMPSON came out dressed like DOMINATRIX AMELIA EARHARDT and tried to make the guy in the wheelchair walk.

The premise isn't bad, but WOOF! everything else...

I dunno if maybe they were trying to go for a VONNEGUT thing or what.

Also, I found the story about how LIZA got her (very badly made-up) scars to be THOROUGHLY UNBELIEVABLE.

• Thanks 1