Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

That was the reason. In the early 80s it was  mostly mandatory for most films that used the word even once to receive an R rating unless you successfully won an appeal (This would change when the  word was allowed in the new PG-13 rating late in 1984). A few won PGs on appeal: The Landlord, All the President's Men, The Last Tycoon, The Front, A Bridge Too Far, The Brinks Job, A Hero Ain't nothing but a Sandwich, The Last Waltz, Same Time Next Year, Stevie, Meteor, Inside Moves, Reds, Carbon Copy, Mommie Dearest, Tootsie, Missing, Terms of Endearment, Educating Rita, Lone Wolf McQuade, Phar Lap, The Right Stuff, Tank,  Harry and Son, Old Enough, A Soldier's Story, The Stone Boy, Careful He Might Hear You,  and Sixteen Candles.

So they were more concerned about the f word forty years ago. Makes sense sort of. Because other than

that the movie is PG.

Now I figure if the two guys from Rope can do a fairly effective murder (though not perfect of course),

they could figure out, after consulting the appropriate materials, the ins and outs of a car battery, though

they still might make their mechanic or chauffeur help them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

EXACTLY!!! After much reflection I realized even if the mechanically inclined gay guys I've known spent the time and effort to concoct such a plan they'd eventually settle on hiring out the job. Probably to a lesbian!  But then if you carry on the thought process you would absolutely end up in a 'hair braiding' slumber party watching Cool Rider videos on YouTube. 

It's really just plain common sense folks.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

EXACTLY!!! After much reflection I realized even if the mechanically inclined gay guys I've known spent the time and effort to concoct such a plan they'd eventually settle on hiring out the job. Probably to a lesbian!  But then if you carry on the thought process you would absolutely end up in a 'hair braiding' slumber party watching Cool Rider videos on YouTube. 

The only downside to hiring a person is that is one more person you have to worry about after

the job is done. Keep it small. I also can't see Bruno Anthony knowing much about what goes

about under a car's hood. Instead of trading murders, he could trade jobs--Guy would do the

battery and Bruno could defuzz Guy's tennis balls. 

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Now I figure if the two guys from Rope can do a fairly effective murder (though not perfect of course),

they could figure out, after consulting the appropriate materials, the ins and outs of a car battery, though

And they BOTH would have gone all the way with Liza. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

you would absolutely end up in a 'hair braiding' slumber party watching Cool Rider videos on YouTube. 

LIZA probably could tell you all the backstage gossip LORNA (LUFT) told her about the making of GREASE 2...

(I’m sure there was a lot AND that it was juicy.)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1st. With their level of commitment? Absolutely.

2nd. Eewww!

The Burning Hills Poster

The Burning Hills (1956) TCM On Demand 6/10

A rancher's  (Tab Hunter) brother is murdered and he is pursued by the gang of horse thieves responsible, he is helped by a feisty half Mexican  (Natalie Wood).

First time viewing for me, I thought it was OK, typical of Cinemascope color westerns of the period. It was the first Tab Hunter movie I saw all the way through, he does a good job. He was just coming off a big success with Battle Cry. Natalie Wood had just gotten an Oscar nomination for Rebel Without A Cause and The Searchers was released the same year as this one. She looks beautiful here, she struggles with the Mexican accent but I liked her spunky and resourceful character. It also has a fine supporting cast of character actors as the villains, including Ray Teal, Skip Homeier and Earl Holliman. Claude Akins plays the one decent guy among them. It has some good stunts and tough violence, one scene involves a well thrown kerosene lamp. This movie is worth seeing once for any fans of the stars. 

• Like 1
On 5/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also made it, I dunno, 30-40 minutes into TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON (1970)

Yeah, it sucked pretty bad. I couldn't take anymore when KAY THOMPSON came out dressed like DOMINATRIX AMELIA EARHARDT and tried to make the guy in the wheelchair walk.

The premise isn't bad, but WOOF! everything else...

I dunno if maybe they were trying to go for a VONNEGUT thing or what.

Also, I found the story about how LIZA got her (very badly made-up) scars to be THOROUGHLY UNBELIEVABLE.

I know, a real trainwreck! I thought Kay Thompson's part should've been cut entirely. NOT funny, just bizarre and added NOTHING to the film.  Also agree about Liza's flashback. WHY would he do that? It also seemed like Liza got more normal looking as the film went on. Not sure if they played with the make up or what.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I know, a real trainwreck! I thought Kay Thompson's part should've been cut entirely. NOT funny, just bizarre and added NOTHING to the film.  Also agree about Liza's flashback. WHY would he do that? It also seemed like Liza got more normal looking as the film went on. Not sure if they played with the make up or what.

LIZA also wore that GIANT SOMBRERO that made her look kinda like SLOWPOKE RODRIGUEZ.

I see you're catching up with the thread, I discussed JUNIE MOON some more a few posts down. 

• Haha 1

Yes, I caught the later posts. I'm not sure that was the case, but the flashback is so badly edited you can't really tell what the guy's motivation was. Since there was already a gay character in the film, I tend to doubt they would cover it up if he had gay "leanings". I can't recally how that scene was handled in the book. (which was definitely better than the film!) Did you make it to the  vacation part at the end? LOL.

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I caught the later posts. I'm not sure that was the case, but the flashback is so badly edited you can't really tell what the guy's motivation was. Since there was already a gay character in the film, I tend to doubt they would cover it up if he had gay "leanings". I can't recally how that scene was handled in the book. (which was definitely better than the film!) Did you make it to the  vacation part at the end? LOL.

No. KAY THOMPSON dropping the priceless Vatican relic was the exact moment I reached for the remote. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I thought the reason for the attack was that the guy went off the rails when Junie Moon teased him in the car ride after the bizarre cemetery scene.  

Agree that the scenes with Kay Thompson could have been cut, especially the scenes at her house.  Not sure why an aging flapper/Miss Havisham type, sitting in her gloomy, decaying castle, would suddenly demand that a paralyzed man try to walk.  And why would he try without any support?  It's all so unbelievable.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No. KAY THOMPSON dropping the priceless Vatican relic was the exact moment I reached for the remote. 

You didn't miss much.......

I feel bad for not knowing this, because I’m a big fan of his, but had KURT VONNEGUT Become a major major writer by 1969/70 (When the book and then the film came out)? 

Because the entire venture came off to me, right down to the title, like someone was trying to capture/ape/mimic Vonnegut. And frankly no one does Vonnegut BUT Vonnegut, and no one should  do Vonnegut BUT Vonnegut. 

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I do not remember much about the character that scars Junie Moon... the idea of that villain being a closet case was already an old trope by 1970, yet the film tries to be progressive, unhappy and mean-spirited as it is.  It could be PREMINGER reached for the trope. 

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I feel bad for not knowing this, because I’m a big fan of his, but had KURT VONNEGUT Become a major major writer by 1969/70 (When the book and then the film came out)? 

Because the entire venture came off to me, right down to the title, like someone was trying to capture/ape/mimic Vonnegut. And frankly no one does Vonnegut BUT Vonnegut, and no one should  do Vonnegut BUT Vonnegut. 

Yes.  Slaughterhouse-Five was published in 1969...  his 5th or 6th novel.

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I feel bad for not knowing this, because I’m a big fan of his, but had KURT VONNEGUT Become a major major writer by 1969/70?

I wasn't sure my own self, so I looked it up. Wiki indicates that he was a known writer prior to Slaughterhouse 5, but not major major.  That seems to have been his breakout opus.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, I can hear the chest top being closed shorty after What good is sitting.......SLAM.

Yes, Slaughterhouse-Five made Vonnegut's name among the general public after laboring for

15 years in the vineyards of whatever.  I really never thought of Vonnegut in connection with

Junie Moon as the latter seemed too normal and pedestrian compared to the former. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And Vonnegut should not be filmed.  Yes, there was Slaughterhouse Five, but Jerry Lewis and Madeline Kahn in  Slapstick (of Another Kind) has been buried too deep to find, and the Bruce Willis Breakfast of Champions is still most deservingly in lost-movie limbo:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7KcWmWL6_Q   😱

(Sorry, just trying to get the stalled conversations off of Lorna's manic-half-of-manic/depressive conversations about Liza, Michelle and Max.)

24 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Which was what I enjoyed most about it! 

Typically, I'd agree... I like "corny" movies, "dated" movies, "politically incorrect" movies (think "bad") but that JODI FOSTER "sexy" bit was ... ick.