Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, kingrat said:

The only one I know is Trade Winds, and it's a lot of fun. This is the film where Joan Bennett goes brunette midway in the film, and it's such a good look for her that she stays brunette. Ann Sothern is fun, too. Fredric March makes a nice hero, Ralph Bellamy has a better-than-usual chance of getting a girl, and there's a cobra! There's a plot, too.

I thank you very much for that recommendation! I have just now watched it. I found several elements in it to be quite surprising. It is a much more developed movie than many of its era. I loved Ann Sothern!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kingrat said:

My husband and I watched Brokeback Mountain on Showtime last night. We hadn't seen it in a few years, and in light of the recent discussions here I was struck by what a Hardyesque film it is, with uneducated characters living in a rural landscape which is all they know. Hardy is a master at writing stories of love which are, in spite of everything, big enough to be felt as tragedy, and Brokeback is Hardyesque in that way. Class differences are less marked in the United States than in Hardy's England, but Brokeback is also very much a film about class.

Did either one of you at any time during the film turn to the other and say “aye wish aye could quit yew.”??
 

(I LOVE that line!!)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SansFin said:

I thank you very much for that recommendation! I have just now watched it. I found several elements in it to be quite surprising. It is a much more developed movie than many of its era. I loved Ann Sothern!

So many films on your list look interesting, but the only one I've seen is Trade Winds as well. Tay Garnett specialized in films that take place on shipboard in exotic locales: One Way Passage, Seven Sinners, Trade Winds, Slave Ship, China Seas, Destination Unknown, I'd like to see a festival of them.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SansFin said:

I am hoping some here might advise me as to which ones I should definitely watch prior to their becoming unavailable. 

Condemned to Live (1935)
 

 

9 hours ago, kingrat said:

The only one I know is Trade Winds, and it's a lot of fun.

 

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

So many films on your list look interesting, but the only one I've seen is Trade Winds as well.

 

I'm surprised no one knows CONDEMNED TO LIVE- which came out in one of the biggest years for HOLLYWOOD HORROR- 1935

It's an early borderline vampire story, which takes a scientific approach (stories about VAMPIRE BATS in South America had gotten popular at the time, and a lot of vampire movies over the years would try to draw a link between the two, as if to say, well, if bats do it, why not humans?).)

it stars RALPH MORGAN, brother of FRANK, and it's not terrific (at least as I recall) but it's still an interesting take on the old legends.

See the source image

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2021 at 8:56 PM, txfilmfan said:

Heckart won a Golden Globe for it and was nominated for an Oscar.

She was great. Funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kingrat said:

My husband and I watched Brokeback Mountain on Showtime last night. We hadn't seen it in a few years, and in light of the recent discussions here I was struck by what a Hardyesque film it is, with uneducated characters living in a rural landscape which is all they know. Hardy is a master at writing stories of love which are, in spite of everything, big enough to be felt as tragedy, and Brokeback is Hardyesque in that way. Class differences are less marked in the United States than in Hardy's England, but Brokeback is also very much a film about class.

Great film by the great/late Larry McMurtry.  Not sure i'm buying that it's about class though.  Calling the characters uneducated and living in a rural landscape that is all they know i think is almost insulting to the characters, but i respect your opinion.  to me the point was that these characters lived in a rural, hard-working, rugged, 'manly-man' world that wouldn't accept their relationship so they couldn't be themselves. it was also in the rural and peaceful setting, far from the rest of world, that they were most at peace and able to truly be themselves.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two from the week so far:

Queen from Outer Space (1958): Really like they retro sci-fi films and the 50's attitudes on gender (although i realize it was played up for the film) was pretty laughable- the space cadet unable to believe that women could run a planet because they can't even operate a car correctly.  Couldn't help but laugh that while the Earth is about to be destroyed and the Queen and her guards are on their heels, the only thing the main characters have on their mind is necking with Venus women in a cave.  Pretty bad really, but good.  I'm guess MST3000 covered this film at some point.

Pather Panchali (1955): FINALLY got to watch this film after starting it three different times in the last few years.  Loved it.  Love the music.  Can't wait to dig into Ray's filmography and get through the rest of the Apu trilogy in the coming days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

 

I'm surprised no one knows CONDEMNED TO LIVE- which came out in one of the biggest years for HOLLYWOOD HORROR- 1935

It's an early borderline vampire story, which takes a scientific approach (stories about VAMPIRE BATS in South America had gotten popular at the time, and a lot of vampire movies over the years would try to draw a link between the two, as if to say, well, if bats do it, why not humans?).)

it stars RALPH MORGAN, brother of FRANK, and it's not terrific (at least as I recall) but it's still an interesting take on the old legends.

See the source image

I thank you for that recommendation! I have just now watched it. I found it to be an odd little thing. It seems to me to wish to be psychological horror rather than the typical bat-monster movie. I am developing a liking for Ralph Morgan.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SansFin said:

I hope that it is permitted that I reverse this a bit.

I have found the following list of movies has been added to my: Watchlist on: Amazon Prime Video. A cursory examination shows that some are due to be rotated off the service quite soon. 

I am hoping some here might advise me as to which ones I should definitely watch prior to their becoming unavailable. 

Condemned to Live (1935)
Cloudburst (1951)
The Mystery Man (1935)
British Intelligence (1940)
Beware of Ladies (1936)
The Crimes of Stephen Hawke (1936)
Trapped (1949)
Trade Winds (1938)
Heading for Heaven (1947)
Streamline Express (1935)
The President's Mystery (1936)
Devil's Cargo (1948)
A Fool's Advice (1932)

Trapped is a good film noir featuring Lloyd Bridges and Barbara Payton.  It was featured on Noir Alley a while back. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Trapped is a good film noir featuring Lloyd Bridges and Barbara Payton.  It was featured on Noir Alley a while back. 

I thank you for recommending that. I have just now watched it. I found it odd to see Lloyd Bridges in a villain role. I know him only from his clean-cut and square-jawed outdoorsy type roles. 

This is one of the movies which is noted to soon be leaving: Amazon Prime Video. I must wonder why they are purging so many movies of that general age and type.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to this board for the recent Richard Dreyfuss thread-I sought out unseen movies of his at the local library & came up with LOST IN YONKERS '93. Turns out it's not a Richard Dreyfuss film at all, it's a MERCEDES RUEHL film!!

Lost_in_yonkers_poster.jpg

I love Mercedes in one of my favorite films of all time, THE FISHER KING '91 and lament there isn't enough Ruehl in the world. Richard Dreyfuss is his charismatic self here, but briefly, this is Bella's story through & through.

It's kind of a slowly paced period piece, beautifully costumed, set, lit & photographed. It's beautifully written (of course) being based on a Neil Simon play. The acting is great and this had a woman director, Martha Coolidge.

Like action, comedy or romance movies, this is one of those kind of movies that strikes some, like myself,  just right but may be a complete bore to others. It's basically the story of two boys sent to live with their grandmother for a period of time while their Dad goes off to work a job where they can't go. Grandma is a strict old lady who owns the sweet shop (every kids dream!) downstairs from their apartment. The kids fear of the old lady's staunch demeanor is only tempered by their Aunt Bella (Ruehl) who is a sweet beautiful woman with the mind of a child. Dreyfuss plays another sibling-one who turned to a life of crime- who really just pops in & out of the film creating a catalyst for the story progression, drama & some comic relief. 

But Ruehl rules this film-she's on screen a lot and always a welcome joy. She is lovable, saucy and overcomes her repression second only to Bette Davis in NOW, VOYAGER. It's also nice a bit about what made Grandma/Mamma so hard is included in the script. Loved it.

Funny note: All through the film I noticed how beautiful Ruehl's hair was styled-eerily similar to my own hair, mine's just not as chic. Rolling through the end credits I see MY NAME as Ruehl's hairdresser! I know there's a Hollywood hair stylist that shares my name, but it's always startling to actually SEE it!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vidor said:

Lloyd Bridges isn't a villain in "High Noon" but he is a cowardly weasel.

Bridges is really more petulant and eager to prove his manhood to his mistress Katy Jurado than he is cowardly in High Noon. He wants Will Kane to leave town so he can take over as sheriff with the bad guys coming.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vidor said:

Lloyd Bridges isn't a villain in "High Noon" but he is a cowardly weasel.

at the risk of derailing into a HIGH NOON discussion, LLOYD BRIDGES and (believe it or not) LON CHANEY JR are just about the only two things about HIGH NOON that I like and find to be genuine. Everything else is pure artifice, including the other performances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Funny note: All through the film I noticed how beautiful Ruehl's hair was styled-eerily similar to my own hair, mine's just not as chic. Rolling through the end credits I see MY NAME as Ruehl's hairdresser! I know there's a Hollywood hair stylist that shares my name, but it's always startling to actually SEE it!

I guess you and HELEN HUNT have at least one thing in common then!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone watch High School Confidential last night with MAMIE and Jackie Coogan (as the pusher!) LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks to this board for the recent Richard Dreyfuss thread-I sought out unseen movies of his at the local library & came up with LOST IN YONKERS '93. Turns out it's not a Richard Dreyfuss film at all, it's a MERCEDES RUEHL film!!

I love Mercedes in one of my favorite films of all time, THE FISHER KING '91 and lament there isn't enough Ruehl in the world. Richard Dreyfuss is his charismatic self here, but briefly, this is Bella's story through & through.

It's kind of a slowly paced period piece, beautifully costumed, set, lit & photographed. It's beautifully written (of course) being based on a Neil Simon play. The acting is great and this had a woman director, Martha Coolidge.

Like action, comedy or romance movies, this is one of those kind of movies that strikes some, like myself,  just right but may be a complete bore to others. It's basically the story of two boys sent to live with their grandmother for a period of time while their Dad goes off to work a job where they can't go. Grandma is a strict old lady who owns the sweet shop (every kids dream!) downstairs from their apartment. The kids fear of the old lady's staunch demeanor is only tempered by their Aunt Bella (Ruehl) who is a sweet beautiful woman with the mind of a child. Dreyfuss plays another sibling-one who turned to a life of crime- who really just pops in & out of the film creating a catalyst for the story progression, drama & some comic relief. 

But Ruehl rules this film-she's on screen a lot and always a welcome joy. She is lovable, saucy and overcomes her repression second only to Bette Davis in NOW, VOYAGER. It's also nice a bit about what made Grandma/Mamma so hard is included in the script. Loved it.

Funny note: All through the film I noticed how beautiful Ruehl's hair was styled-eerily similar to my own hair, mine's just not as chic. Rolling through the end credits I see MY NAME as Ruehl's hairdresser! I know there's a Hollywood hair stylist that shares my name, but it's always startling to actually SEE it!

I've never seen the film but want to, as my old friend Irene Worth plays Grandma.

So, I guess your real name is TikiSoo Guilaroff?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did anyone watch High School Confidential last night with MAMIE and Jackie Coogan (as the pusher!) LOL.

I missed it!  One of my biggest complaints with TCM is they only show the times on ET zone schedule.  Went to watch the film to realize it had been over for an hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two from last night:

Blackboard Jungle (1955) Liked it although i thought it was probably 30 minutes too long.  Didn't realize Sydney Poitier was in this and then took me  a minute to realize it was him.  He definitely deserved to be higher up in the billing.  I loved the disclaimer at the beginning and i liked that this wasn't the typical storyline of a teacher getting youths to turn their lives around and make an effort at their education and future, but that there was a proper final showdown with one of the 'bad apples'.

Aparajito (1956) I liked the first half hour of the film up until the father dies and then the final scene but otherwise having every single member of Apu's family (going back to his sister's death in Pather Panchali) getting sick and dying just became a bit tiring for me.  I spent time in Varanasi a few years ago and recognized it immediately in the opening and couldn't believe how it looks exactly the same today as it did 70 years ago (although about 1/1,000 of the people as i saw there) and i remember sitting and walking through the same ghats and doorways as shown in the film.  Took me back.  Great music.  Will probably finish out the trilogy over the weekend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did anyone watch High School Confidential last night with MAMIE and Jackie Coogan (as the pusher!) LOL.

I missed it, but I will look for it on demand. I have seen it once before and it is memorable to say the least.

MAMIE gives a bad performance for the ages in this one; and RUSS TAMBLYN is THE DREAMIEST!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncle Fester as a big time dope dealer. Not that hard to believe as he always had bad luck with

jobs. I knew the movie was in trouble when Russ Tamblyn is supposed to be the the hep cat in the

school. C'mon man. 

FTN, the classic setup of two macho men who have to prove who is the biggest dick on the block.

Neither guy was very sympathetic, at least as the show tells the story. The old bully/codger get off

my lawn and get off your own lawn too vs. the young bull giving gramps the finger in every way he

can. I figured once the old former police chief got his gun outhe was going to kill mr. backwards

baseball cap and mostly get away with it. It's good to be an ex-cop. I wondered what exactly the

loud music was that the young dude was playing. I would have greeted the old timer with an AC/DC

sandwich washed down with Metallica. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Uncle Fester as a big time dope dealer. Not that hard to believe as he always had bad luck with

jobs. I knew the movie was in trouble when Russ Tamblyn is supposed to be the the hep cat in the

school. C'mon man. 

FTN, the classic setup of two macho men who have to prove who is the biggest dick on the block.

Neither guy was very sympathetic, at least as the show tells the story. The old bully/codger get off

my lawn and get off your own lawn too vs. the young bull giving gramps the finger in every way he

can. I figured once the old former police chief got his gun outhe was going to kill mr. backwards

baseball cap and mostly get away with it. It's good to be an ex-cop. I wondered what exactly the

loud music was that the young dude was playing. I would have greeted the old timer with an AC/DC

sandwich washed down with Metallica. 

 

I hope they called the episode “HAMMERTIME.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know this doesn’t have much to do with anything, but I discovered that The first two seasons of “Scooby Doo where are you?” are on Tubi for free And have been having fun going down memory lane.

And yet, I’ve been watching the “terror at the big top” episode with the EVIL HYPNOTIZING GHOST CLOWN, and that guy straight up tries to MURDER Daphne, Scooby and Shaggy- twice in fact for the latter two. 

I hope they put that dude away for a couple dimes after he was unmasked, not just because of the three counts of attempted murder but also the fact that he was really ****ing  scary.

(I’m on my phone and can’t post pictures, I think it’s safe to say that one night Stephen King snorted a couple of rails, watched this episode, and then wrote IT.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...